Canada vs Barbados - Jan 10th (Camp Poutine Match #2)

4 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Shaffleburg wasn't in his correct position so I can't judge him too harshly but he should be behind Nelson. 

I'm not sure I agree with this. Nelson looked really great at times but there were a few occasions where he looked lost and Herdman was yelling at him what he should do. Shaffelburg clearly showing he has more experience and playing time under his belt.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'm not sure I agree with. Nelson looked really great at times but there were a few occasions where he looked lost and Herdman was yelling what to do at him. Shaffleburg clearly showing he has more experience and playing time under his belt.

Herdman was yelling at Teibert when he was on. I was impressed with his offensive awareness, his game needs maturing but that'll come naturally. I think he's better in 1v1 situations, cutting in and creating chances. Different players I guess... I see Shaffelburg as a LM, up and down, whip in crosses, defend.... For me he didn't stake his claim

I just checked my usual Barbados fan site and they are having a furious debate over who is to blame for that last goal.  Was it a bad back pass, Was the keeper backing up at the time,  did he signal the fullback, or did the keeper just muck up his clearance etc etc.  They are going round and round but I think the consenus is the FB is to blame and should be shunned.  

• jordan unpinned this topic
18 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'm not sure I agree with this. Nelson looked really great at times but there were a few occasions where he looked lost and Herdman was yelling at him what he should do. Shaffelburg clearly showing he has more experience and playing time under his belt.

100% .Jayden had some nice touches and played it safe. Full credit for him working hard and pressuring for the goal but also the finish, which some might say should be a formality but we have seen established players balloon and fire wide. We do have to remember he is 17 though and it is impressive he held his own at times. At other times he showed his age or more appropriately inexperience. It wasn't an Phonzie moment where he stood out but he obviously did above average for most sane peoples expectations of a 17 year old and scored for his country. Great moment for him and his family. 

Shaffelburg never really settled for me and as has been pointed out wasn't playing in his preferred position. Jayden will naturally get the plaudits for his age and getting on the scoresheet. 

14 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I just checked my usual Barbados fan site and they are having a furious debate over who is to blame for that last goal.  Was it a bad back pass, Was the keeper backing up at the time,  did he signal the fullback, or did the keeper just muck up his clearance etc etc.  They are going round and round but I think the consenus is the FB is to blame and should be shunned.  

Out of all 8 of the goals they shipped this week they are scapegoating the FB for that goal? I have to say I expected both games to be a much bigger test than they were. We played well and managed both games well but they were atrocious and never took the game to us. 

I guess it was just to get him some playing time, but otherwise I have no idea why Shaffelburg was seemingly being played as a lone striker up top. He looked lost out there as a result. He's an out and out winger, works best on the left for that matter. I'd rather have seen Jacob or Borges play where Nelson did and put Nelson up top (where his occasional inexperienced-caused giveaways would be less likely to hurt us) rather than having Jacob played out of position like that. He looked like a fish out of water.

53 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Out of all 8 of the goals they shipped this week they are scapegoating the FB for that goal? I have to say I expected both games to be a much bigger test than they were. We played well and managed both games well but they were atrocious and never took the game to us. 

Surely Godinho will be found at fault, no? 😜

Just wondering if Any picked up The commentator say that some players will be leaving for MLS training camp right after the game ? I think he said the shome and Piette. Did I hear that right ? 

I hope Herdman puts out the Strongest XL vs Iceland. I’m loving the Jan camp! The future looks good! Bassong looked really good out there !! So excited to see him against better competition. A MLS team should look at him for a cheap loan. We should be feeling very good about the future of our FB’s and could get even better if Gutiérrez comes on board. U23 camp/team should be very interesting And super competitive

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Just wondering if Any picked up The commentator say that some players will be leaving for MLS training camp right after the game ? I think he said the shome and Piette. Did I hear that right ? 

I hope Herdman puts out the Strongest XL vs Iceland. I’m loving the Jan camp! The future looks good! Bassong looked really good out there !! So excited to see him against better competition. A MLS team should look at him for a cheap loan. We should be feeling very good about the future of our FB’s and could get even better if Gutiérrez comes on board. U23 camp/team should be very interesting And super competitive

Shome and Pantemis are leaving for Impact camp, Piette is staying.

Edited by Strait Red

These were 2 good warm up games.  It’s nice to see our 1.5 team (remember that some of our regular first team players are still out there) put up comfortable wins against a minnow.

Against the Iceland 1.5 team it’s going to be a tougher test.  I know Herdman is taking it seriously and will play the best players he has and not play 5 subs a game.