Canada vs Barbados - Jan 10th (Camp Poutine Match #2)

Job done. Another professional performance and well managed. Going to be a fascinating watch on Wednesday and a very tough game. Lots of positives to this camp regardless.

My picks tonight:

Bassong -Look bright, technically sound, quick and direct. To top it off he was arguably better on the right! Early days but looks a solid addition to the player pool. 

Didic - My MOTM, I know Fraser had a cracking game too but Didic looked like an absolute best on that pitch and played like one. Not just your usual lump either. Some forward plays, great spreading of the ball from the back and passing skills that were excellent. Topped with a great goal. Proud day for him, his family and Edmonton. 

Brym - Obviously faded badly but looked very positive. One to watch and will surely play a big role in the u23's if he comes. 

Fraser - very solid and really shone and stepped up after Teibert and Piette were off the field. Hope he gets the playing time he deserves this year. 

Good game but we are seeing what potentially is gonna be an issue with the U23s. No camps or time to get familiar means link up play is going to be rough. Mexico, the US and most the other nations in Olympic qualifying have spent more time together and it may bite us in the ass when Borges tries for a one two and Shaffelburg keeps overrunning the ball when it matters.

Nice to see a few of these young guys get a run out. Brym, Bassong and Nelson showed well. Good to see Fraser boss the midfield. If he doesn't stick with TFC, send him back to Vancouver. (Not sure he wants to do that, but this is not the same Caps organization it once was.)  Okello did not have much of the ball, but he's got some silky skills and could become a Viera-like midfielder if he really puts his game together. Didic showed well, Borges was fine, Shaffleburg did not really get settled. Excited to see how these guys develop.  For my money, Nelson at 17 showed the most promise. Quick, smart, good passer, good with the ball at his feet.  

This has been a good couple of games, serving Herdman's purposes to a Tee.  Now let's see if the guys can get a result against an Iceland squad that will be very organized and tough to break down.  We will be vulnerable to the counter in that game, I suspect.

Edited by The Beaver 2.0

Job done!!!!... Some good plays in between, lots of potential in some of our young players, but some areas that need to be cleaned up as well!!!!.... Hopefully with experience & development, some of these players can polish up their skills in these areas!!!

Impressed with Đidić , good ball moving CB, 1st time I'll admit I have a real look at him, like to get up on the air for set-pieces and good positioning to put in the tackle/clearance

Again, I am very pleased to have Bassong with us atm, just like Herdman does (lmfao), really impressed me and now understand why he was high on his recruit list!!!.. Also, impressive that he has not been playing a lot lately, and just recently has been making the 18 at Cercle Brugge, but according to another poster did get in some significant minutes with the U-21s.. Here is hoping as I said earlier, he is now giving consideration for the main squad. Showed great technique wit the ball, tracking and runs going forward. Put in a good tackle s well.

Impressed & pleased with Brym too, hopefully he goes out on another suitable loan in the next little bit (someone mentioned he may be heading back to Lille B ) or if he is to stay at Lille B, let's hope he performs, better yet if he lights it up as a regular scorer, lmfao. Great touches and technique as well with the ball.

High chance Nelson may become TFC newest homegrown signing sometime this season!!!

Now on to face Iceland and give them a serious run for their money, given that they are also missing some key players, I think we stand a chance, but admittedly would conjure that it will be quite tougher and do not expect to be dominating, let alone have all the possession all the time!!!... Be quite a statement, if with this squad we pull out a result against them, particularly a W!!! 😉

Edited by CANMNT_SUPERFAN

Bassong wasn't forced to much 1 v 1 defending but looked fine when he did. I thought he linked up with Osorio really well.

Byron faded a little bit, but he shows good awareness and positioning. Able to find space and also ran back a lot to defend. Needs to be more confident with his left foot. 

Didic looked solid. More so than Cornelius who made 1 or 2 slip ups.

Nelson looked good. Congrats on the first goal.

Shaffleburg didn't really improve my impression on him. Thought he turned over the ball a lot in his short time.

I like Shome. Good iq and tidy with the ball.

Borges was okay. Didn't get the ball enough imo, did do the job defensively.

Overall happy to see goals or assists from a lot of the new guys. Still hard to determine though, considering our opponent.

6 minutes ago, Cblake said:

How strong is the domestic Iceland side that Canada will see next week? This is a much better Canada side than the one played a pair of matches in Florida a few year back.

40% strong and experienced. 60% new and young like our squad is. It will be a tough game.

Will they go with their strongest possible lineup? They have some real veteran defenders.

Wikipedia has been updated: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland_national_football_team

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

14 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Shome was very tidy in his 45 mins.

Definitely! Meant to mention Shome. Nothing spectacular but was calm and moved the ball well. Definitely didn't give up anything by bringing him on and taking Piette off. 

Such a great positive feeling for the U23's (the Friday beer also helps). Likely Iceland B will slap us back to reality but we have some strong players for the Olympic Qualifiers, even without the 4/5 best that we likely wont use. I will save that for the Olympic thread. 

Also rude to not congratulate Herdman for managing both games professionally and also using the squad very well (goalkeepers aside). 

Bring on Wednesday which will be intriguing. 

• jordan unpinned this topic