Nyal Higgins

Bikerack

10 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Far cry from the days when a guy like Tosaint Ricketts couldn't even get picked in the draft... always wondered how that was possible.

I could be wrong, but I thought that Ricketts had signed in Europe instead of going through the MLS draft

11 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

6'2 cb. Hopefully he's as good as kamal Miller

Miller had been rumored to be coming out at a junior with gen Adidas, but didnt and went high in second round..  Higgins hasnt been as highly touted and remember Skyler Thomas was a high first round pick and Murell was a 2nd rounder both from Syracuse.  Tons of CDN go through SYracuse, Uconn etc.  But the draft is a real crap shoot.  

8 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I could be wrong, but I thought that Ricketts had signed in Europe instead of going through the MLS draft

I just checked and you could be right based on the timing but I can't verify it.  Even guys who were going to Europe though typically got picked in the late rounds i.e.  Rob Friend. 

26 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I just checked and you could be right based on the timing but I can't verify it.  Even guys who were going to Europe though typically got picked in the late rounds i.e.  Rob Friend. 

Yeah maybe I will look around a bit to see if I can confirm but it wasn't a case of a guy most likely going to Europe. He was already signed by the time the draft took place I think. Again, based on memory from a long time ago lol

16 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Yeah maybe I will look around a bit to see if I can confirm but it wasn't a case of a guy most likely going to Europe. He was already signed by the time the draft took place I think. Again, based on memory from a long time ago lol

I'm not sure about Ricketts but that was the case with Rob Friend, he was signed in Europe and then drafted in MLS.  Ricketts signed for MyPa in 2009 and the MLS draft was January 2009.. so he would have had to sign in the first few weeks to have signed before the draft.

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Anyone know anything about this guy?  I'm incredibly humbled by the fact that two Canadians were drafted in the first round and I've never heard of either of them.  Far cry from the days when a guy like Tosaint Ricketts couldn't even get picked in the draft... always wondered how that was possible.

I haven't been on the forum for almost two years. i need to dig and find the 2017 or 2018 NCAA thread as I saw Higgins play in the Sigma showcase a few years back. My quick recollection was I did specifically highlight him from that combine as one of the top CBs and someone to watch out for.

OK I found it... the 2016 thread lol

Here was my big time scouting report

Finally, with some confusion Vaughan also had a CB who we thought looked the part, at least physically/athletically, whose name was Nial. The only kid we could track that might have been him was Nial Higgins but he is listed at Ajax SC. However, Ajax did not participate in this year's showcase and part of me wondered if maybe he might have switched to an academy that would participate in the showcase for some NCAA scouting? If anyone knows, please feel free to share.

27 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Would be nice for TFC to actually play some Canadian defenders for once. 

We had a pretty decent season (defensively speaking) with Cann/Attakora..way back in the dark ages.  Plus Lareaya/Morgan repping last season (Morgan is 5th all time).  

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

We had a pretty decent season (defensively speaking) with Cann/Attakora..way back in the dark ages.  Plus Lareaya/Morgan repping last season (Morgan is 5th all time).  

Lol Morgan barely played, Laryea was a revelation. 😏

Let's hope he can break through, but most likely will end up playing with the II team with Dunn Johnson 

Edited by Shway

3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Didn't really start watching TFC on TV until 2012-13, though I did go to games every year since 2007. Henry is the only CB we've had that I've actually seen play quite a bit.

Despite how good Laryea was last year it still felt like he wasn't playing enough.

• 1 month later...

Probably, but plenty of draft picks dont get signed.  It would be embarassing to take a guy in the first round and cut him loose in a few months.   But if they are going to bury him at TFC2, might as well loan him out to CPL and get dome real experience.  

• 5 months later...