Euro 2020 - General Chatter

IAmPappy

14 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

England took advantage of some ball-watching on Di Lorenzo's part (probably the Italian player with the least-amount of big game experience for club & country, he was playing in Serie C a few years back & had an awful first 15 minutes  probably nerves getting to him). In a way though scoring so early might have been the ultimate downfall as they seemed to get into a defend-first mentality too early and once Italy scored it never seemed likely that England was going to get the winner. There's something to be said for bringing on two subs at the last possible minute just to take a PK with the first touch of the match, both of whom missed. You might want to at least bringing them on for five or six minutes first.

Donnaruma's complete lack of celebration over the winning PK save gave me cause for confusion, as though I had miscounted the scoring or he knew he left the line early or something.

I understand that Bonucci is trolling both a current teammate and a former teammate with this post-match video, but I haven't actually seen the original versions so am unfamiliar with the source material he is apparently mocking:

Ronaldo put away the Coke bottles for water with body language saying water is better in one of his pressers.

Pogba put away the Heineken bottle - it was attributed that it was because he was Muslim.

14 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Donnaruma's complete lack of celebration over the winning PK save gave me cause for confusion, as though I had miscounted the scoring or he knew he left the line early or something.

I'm fairly certain he had no idea they won.

On 7/8/2021 at 7:47 PM, narduch said:

I think this game might end up being the most watched soccer game in Canada ever 

On English networks, it got 3.6m. 50% higher than Euro Final 2016 but was only on TSN. 11% higher than World Cup Final 2018. I'll guess estimate French networks would add another 750k.

But the highest still remains Canada v USA 2012 Olympic women's football semis with 3.8m on CBC/TSN. Radio-Canada likely added 800k.

57 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

The (likely) sad thing will be if someone has onesoccer’s ratings for Canada vs Martinique to compare to that 3.6 million....

Big ratings mean casuals got interested but it is just a temp thing. Similar to Olympics viewing, people get involved in sports like even the marquee 100m but then never watch any more 100m races for the next 4 years

The Euro Final got similar viewers to the Grey Cup. But most people on this forum look dimly on the prospects of the CFL. 

In the most globally competitive sport in the world, highly engaged followers are what is needed for Canada men to be competitive. Casual growth drives up 1-13 yr old participation rates but we don't have enough people living and breathing football daily to consistently compete with a top 20 country yet.

Canada also need to overcome a money disadvantage. Italy got 30m euros in total for winning. Just making to the Euros gives you 9.25m euros. While winning the Gold Cup gets you US$1m and finalists get US$500k.

Edited by red card

4 hours ago, red card said:

Big ratings mean casuals got interested but it is just a temp thing. Similar to Olympics viewing, people get involved in sports like even the marquee 100m but then never watch any more 100m races for the next 4 years

The Euro Final got similar viewers to the Grey Cup. But most people on this forum look dimly on the prospects of the CFL. 

In the most globally competitive sport in the world, highly engaged followers are what is needed for Canada men to be competitive. Casual growth drives up 1-13 yr old participation rates but we don't have enough people living and breathing football daily to consistently compete with a top 20 country yet.

Canada also need to overcome a money disadvantage. Italy got 30m euros in total for winning. Just making to the Euros gives you 9.25m euros. While winning the Gold Cup gets you US$1m and finalists get US$500k.

I was thinking more along the lines of it being a missed opportunity to expose the Canadian national team to more soccer fans and casual viewers and gain more national team support in the process, particularly with an exciting, attacking style of play. Imagine if TSN were still broadcasting games and had been plugging the Gold Cup during the Euro tourney and in the final itself by telling people to continue watching after the final because Canada would be playing in the North American version of the Euros. Most of the 3.6 million would still have tuned out yet we probably would have got a larger broadcast audience than we normally do for the national team (or normally did in the days when they were shown on television) and very likely picked up more fans & supporters in the process.

By the way, remember the infamous Zaza pk attempt at Euro 2016 in the Q-F against Germany? Exact same circumstances as with Sancho & Rashford, brought on in the 120th minute of extra time (for a defender - in that case it was Chiellini), didn't touch the ball until his PK attempt and missed badly.  Probably the only difference making it not as bad is that he wasn't brought on to defend a German corner kick the way the two English players were in the final against Italy. Think there is a lesson to be learned here, probably best to put these players on with a few minutes to go at least to get them into the game with a few touches & feeling comfortable before asking them to take a crucial PK with all the pressure on them.

On 7/12/2021 at 6:23 AM, Gian-Luca said:

England took advantage of some ball-watching on Di Lorenzo's part (probably the Italian player with the least-amount of big game experience for club & country, he was playing in Serie C a few years back & had an awful first 15 minutes  probably nerves getting to him). In a way though scoring so early might have been the ultimate downfall as they seemed to get into a defend-first mentality too early and once Italy scored it never seemed likely that England was going to get the winner. There's something to be said for bringing on two subs at the last possible minute just to take a PK with the first touch of the match, both of whom missed. You might want to at least bringing them on for five or six minutes first.

Happened the same to me. Mind you, I had a nephew in from another country and he wanted to watch with other fans on a patio. In one bar maybe 150 English, the bar beside it maybe 50 Italians (all very polite must say, they applauded each other when it ended), and their respective screens not synched. Cheer, wait, groan, back and forth. So I was totally confused about what the hell was going on, lost count. Then the celebrations went both ways--I only realised it was over when I saw Southgate congratulate Mancini and thought, oh, that's it.

Yesterday I sat down at home and watched the entire penalty sequence from my couch, just to get it clear.

On 7/13/2021 at 8:26 PM, Gian-Luca said:

I was thinking more along the lines of it being a missed opportunity to expose the Canadian national team to more soccer fans and casual viewers and gain more national team support in the process, particularly with an exciting, attacking style of play. Imagine if TSN were still broadcasting games and had been plugging the Gold Cup during the Euro tourney and in the final itself by telling people to continue watching after the final because Canada would be playing in the North American version of the Euros. Most of the 3.6 million would still have tuned out yet we probably would have got a larger broadcast audience than we normally do for the national team (or normally did in the days when they were shown on television) and very likely picked up more fans & supporters in the process.

The most oft-cited comments I have seen is that it was jarring to move from the Euros to the Gold Cup. The difference in quality of play & atmosphere would have reinforced ideas about why not to watch the men's national team.

Gold Cup has been on tv all the time ex this one. Even when Canada won or made the semis, it didn't move the needle.

As the Canadian women have shown and also the US men's team, you need to make it to the Olympics/World Cup for women and World Cup for men, have a special match to capture the zeitgeist and then in the next cycle, they'll start being more engaged about WC qualifiers and Gold Cup.

Otherwise, things like EA FIFA, advent of Canadian MLS teams, emergence of a local supporters culture and star Euro-based players have been bigger drivers for national team interest.

Just also saw the Euro Final was the most streamed event ever for TSN at 425k. 

Edited by red card

On 7/14/2021 at 1:32 AM, Gian-Luca said:

By the way, remember the infamous Zaza pk attempt at Euro 2016 in the Q-F against Germany? Exact same circumstances as with Sancho & Rashford, brought on in the 120th minute of extra time (for a defender - in that case it was Chiellini), didn't touch the ball until his PK attempt and missed badly.  Probably the only difference making it not as bad is that he wasn't brought on to defend a German corner kick the way the two English players were in the final against Italy. Think there is a lesson to be learned here, probably best to put these players on with a few minutes to go at least to get them into the game with a few touches & feeling comfortable before asking them to take a crucial PK with all the pressure on them.

When rashford stepped up for his pen 2 thoughts came into my mind. 1, he and sancho have not been able to run off any nervous energy. There’s a decent chance one or both miss, lots of adrenaline still and hard to keep calm. Lots of pressure when you’ve been brought in solely to score a penalty. 2, I’ve seen it happen before with zaza

rashford was ready from HT in extra time, no idea why he didn’t get on earlier. And like you said, southgate left it so late he had to put them on for that corner. Not the best decision making in those 15 mins. But I guess if England had won the pens he’d be labelled a mastermind! Such is football

Edited by Brethers8