Euro 2020 - General Chatter

IAmPappy

9 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Just got back home to see Mbape's penalty saved.  He gave Davies' Bayern the run around and it's France so it was nice to see.

Tournament opening up a bit. 

Tomorrow night is huge. 

Well yes because you have England vs Germany and Sweden vs Ukraine

On 6/28/2021 at 9:24 AM, Gian-Luca said:

It looks like Spain’s keeper felt sorry for Haiti’s keeper and decided to give him some company 

He made up for it with a big time reflex stop with the scored still tied in the extra time session, after his side blew a two goal lead late regulation, so I suppose he went from zero to hero.  

3 third place teams in the quarters while no teams from the group of death made it that far.  Denmark, a 2nd place team and Ukraine into the final 8 after losing the majority of their first round matches making the moral of the story “good things can happen if you lost most of your group stage games” 😏

On 6/30/2021 at 8:52 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Just when you think you've heard everything, apparently Rabiot's mother fought with Mbappe's Dad in the stands following the surprising French exit:

Come to a triple A pee wee hockey tournament almost anywhere in Canada to see how parents from the same team really know how to solve disputes😃.  

Did like Nicol's comment about how you see the true character of people when things are going badly.

Spain was very poor, the mids did nothing. They lucked into an extra man after an iffy red to the Swiss, but it didn't show on the pitch. 

Hopefully the challenge of Italy will raise their intensity and competitive level, thought it was perhaps the dullest match of the tournament. Spain has no stars, they're all just good with no player really stellar. 

9 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Really think Spain would be the easier opponent if England can take care of their own business.  But too many Italian soccer friends to cheer against them and who wants to support Spain anyway?

Italia !

Well I think Spain did amazingly well, considering the youth and lack of any stars. They made Italy look only mediocre, they missed some sitters too. The Spain goal, straight through the middle of the Italian defence late in a match--spectacular.

Most here are happy with the effort and of course after one round of penalties it is hard to go through on the next. Have to say: in my neighbourhood in Barcelona, and in fact all over the city, Italians galore, massive cheers. Because Barcelona is the best Italian city (also happens to be the best city in Argentina).

Still think Italy has to be a slight favourite over either rival to come, neither will submit them to just 35% possession so their attacking game with have more flair.

47 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well I think Spain did amazingly well, considering the youth and lack of any stars. They made Italy look only mediocre, they missed some sitters too. The Spain goal, straight through the middle of the Italian defence late in a match--spectacular.

Most here are happy with the effort and of course after one round of penalties it is hard to go through on the next. Have to say: in my neighbourhood in Barcelona, and in fact all over the city, Italians galore, massive cheers. Because Barcelona is the best Italian city (also happens to be the best city in Argentina).

Still think Italy has to be a slight favourite over either rival to come, neither will submit them to just 35% possession so their attacking game with have more flair.

Agreed. I've been saying 2-0 Italy over England for a couple rounds now to anyone who would listen.

I was surprised the Italian defender just let Morata blow by him after the pass without obstructing him.  He was static and had no hope of staying with him on the return pass.  I wasn't sure if he was already on a card but that may have been a play where a lttle defensive cynicism seemed to be needed. 

45 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I was surprised the Italian defender just let Morata blow by him after the pass without obstructing him.  He was static and had no hope of staying with him on the return pass.  I wasn't sure if he was already on a card but that may have been a play where a lttle defensive cynicism seemed to be needed. 

If I recall correctly that was 36 year old Chiellini who did that and it may just have been a bit of fatigue on the part of the old War Horse to not do that (or not think quickly enough to do that). I think your correct that most times that's the sort of wily play that he would do.

I think Luis Enrique got the upper hand over Mancini with Spain's formation switch which meant that the two old dudes in the back had no-one to mark up top while Italy also lost the battle of the midfield from sheer outnumbering & Spain's annoying but impressive ability to make about 7000 passes accurately before they try to take a shot. At the same time, Italy being down to their 2nd choice now at both fullback positions meant that they didn't use the wings as effectively as they might have with Spinnazola & Florenzi on the pitch. That will probably be a challenge in the final regardless of who they play.

I hope Alex Bono of TFC takes note of the Italian goal in this match - good things happen when you release the f'ing ball quickly instead of hanging on to it for half an hour each time the way Bono does. Donnaruma cuts out a cross and 20 seconds later the ball is in the back of the Spanish net because he starts the attack on the opposite side Spain had been attacking from