Canada vs Barbados - Jan 7th (Camp Poutine Match #1)

Surprised that none of them saw the field in the first game.  Assume that some will get a run out in game 2 and hopefully will impress enough to be on the bench at the very least for Iceland, if not starting.  Borges deserves a chance to be in the field with this team.  He dominated our domestic league and the optics of him not getting an opportunity to play for the CMNT are not good. Hopefully that is corrected Friday.  Very eager to see how he looks with better players surrounding him.

9 hours ago, SirBobsaget said:

James made the first huge mistake, then Crepeau should have smothered that ball. Godinho mistimed a crazy front of goal challenge, it was the least of the 3 mistakes. Goal is on James first of all then Crepeau 2nd.

True, however a tackle like that is a potential red card and could have had more serious consequences to the outcome. Hopefully Godinho can calm down and make better decisions defensively as there is no doubt he has the technical ability.

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

I really hope that the CPL players get some time in the next game. It's starting to look like Herdman doesn't value them as much as he should

I understand your point.... but I think we should wait until the end of this camp for this assessment.

Remember the young lads came in as attacking subs when the game was under control and where the boss made no changes to the back line to ensure we saw out the Win.

A CPL player could very well start next game.

4 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

I understand your point.... but I think we should wait until the end of this camp for this assessment.

Remember the young lads came in as attacking subs when the game was under control and where the boss made no changes to the back line to ensure we saw out the Win.

A CPL player could very well start next game.

Yep. I am sort of expecting that Didic will start with Cornelius next game. I'd like to see Carducci as well, but I sort of expect it will be Pantemis since he is likely to be the U23 starter

3 outfield players need to be scratched per match.  So that means 9 total scratches over these 3 matches and in all likelihood 9/23 outfield players will be scratched at one point.  

Basically, it had to be someone in the first game.  I'm more interested to see who is scratched against Iceland as I'd imagine they're planning to have the best squad possible for that one.  

The trade-off for Borges being scratched could just as well be a start on Friday.  

14 minutes ago, TFC2017 said:

We seem to be playing a 4-2-2-2 which drops to a 4-4-2 when defending.

For the next game I'd like to see: 

Bair-Ricketts

Shaffelburg-Borges

Teibert-Shome

Morgan-Didic-Cornelius-Godinho

Pantemis 

Little bit of a mix of youth and experience. 

That's close to what I would want to see but replacing Godihno with Laryea and starting Brym instead of Ricketts

We still need to lean on a core for the next game .. this is basically a WCQ and we can't rely on a bunch of debutants.  

Herdman subbed out his front 6 last night.  This leads me to believe that we'll see guys like Piette, Osorio, Ricketts start every game based on how early they were pulled and he'll probably try to do the same thing Friday if we get a comfortable lead.  The back line I could see us switching everyone but Miller and having: Morgan-Miller-Cornelius-Laryea 

39 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

We still need to lean on a core for the next game .. this is basically a WCQ and we can't rely on a bunch of debutants.  

Herdman subbed out his front 6 last night.  This leads me to believe that we'll see guys like Piette, Osorio, Ricketts start every game based on how early they were pulled and he'll probably try to do the same thing Friday if we get a comfortable lead.  The back line I could see us switching everyone but Miller and having: Morgan-Miller-Cornelius-Laryea 

These guys aren't at match fitness currently. If you start guys every game they will likely be gassed for Iceland

We (Herdman/players) managed the game very well. Get the job done early and then wisely blood new players. We can only hope for a similar ride. 

I think we will see a bit of rotation but still reasonably strong, our squad is much bigger than the Barbados one so we have a clear advantage. The players also have 5 days before the Iceland game. Try and get the job done in the first half then manage the second half again and blood more young players. 

Like most of you I suspect we'll see a brand new back four:

Laryea, Didic, Cornelius, Morgan (Bassong)

The front 6 may depend on how Herdman wants to play, but assuming we roll with the box again:

Shome, Teibert, Chapman, Okello

Up front:

Byrm, Bair

Subs: Bassong for Morgan (or vice versa),

Schaffleburg for Byrm

Akindele for Bair

Borges for Chapman

Osorio for Teibert

Piette for Shome

Edited by Obinna

Its crazy, sad and pathetic that we all knew the PK was on Godinho, even though no one was there and no one saw it. 

This isn't just a lucky 1 in 11 guess, Godinho's head isn't in the right place.  He cannot be trusted, i'll say it again, three goals were on him vs Haiti!  Not just one fluke, game ending situation, but three different goals in 45 minutes.  He doesn't have the focus required at this level.

CANMNT shouldn't be the team to try to give him a chance to fix that.  Send him back to his club and have him sort out his issues there.  Too much at risk at the moment to have him wear the CANMNT jersey and play.

1 minute ago, costarg said:

Its crazy, sad and pathetic that we all knew the PK was on Godinho, even though no one was there and no one saw it. 

This isn't just a lucky 1 in 11 guess, Godinho's head isn't in the right place.  He cannot be trusted, i'll say it again, three goals were on him vs Haiti!  Not just one fluke, game ending situation, but three different goals in 45 minutes.  He doesn't have the focus required at this level.

CANMNT shouldn't be the team to try to give him a chance to fix that.  Send him back to his club and have him sort out his issues there.  Too much at risk at the moment to have him wear the CANMNT jersey and play.

If he doesn't impress in this camp I think it will be a while before we see him again. He is still a young player, but his decision making on the defensive end is problematic.

Why he decided to try and win the ball in the six yard box last night is beyond me. All he had to do was get his body in between the ball and the attacker. Hopefully he learns because he can be a good depth player for us at right back.

I think barring injury Laryea starts the final two matches.

6 minutes ago, costarg said:

Except there were two other players that were far more at fault for that PK than Godinho.

Just now, RS said:

Except there were two other players that were far more at fault for that PK than Godinho.

Agreed. James takes primary responsibility and this is not the first time he has made errors. They tend to go unpunished, but this one was.

Two quick comments on the game last night. 

- it is unfortunate, given our defensive depth, that two defenders both made errors in the pk (against a weak side).  With Godinho only just invited  back and James overlooked for the past few windows, this was their chance to stake a claim for consideration going forward.   Hard to say too much without seeing the rest of the game, but conceding the pk won’t have helped them. 

- in terms of the CPL guys missing out, I can understand it.  Despite the fact that we should roll over barbados, Herdman played it safe by fielding a strong 11 in the first game to see how we would play.  We needed to start off with a win - anything else would have been brutal.  Now that we know we should be able to handle them regardless of who we slot in from the 26 chosen, I expect to see the CPL guys given some time in the next game.  If last night had been one of those banana peel nail biters though, that might not be the case.  

Can we just take in we had 6 subs enter the game yesterday and the average age of all of them together was 21 ... That's counting Teiber who was by far the oldest at 27. If you take him out the average age of our subs was 19! (To be exact 19.8). 

Our country is clearly producing talents at a rate we've never seen before. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

1 minute ago, TFC2017 said:

Can we just take in we had 6 subs enter the game yesterday and the average age of all of them together was 21 ... That's counting Teiber who was by far the oldest at 27. If you take him out the average age of our subs was 19! (To be exact 19.8). 

Our country is clearly producing talents at a rate we've never seen before. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

There have been lots of false dawns for footy in this country but I think the sun is finally coming up.  

21 minutes ago, costarg said:

I swear people have a selective memory on this board. The third goal was no one but Davies fault.

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If he doesn't impress in this camp I think it will be a while before we see him again. He is still a young player, but his decision making on the defensive end is problematic.

Why he decided to try and win the ball in the six yard box last night is beyond me. All he had to do was get his body in between the ball and the attacker. Hopefully he learns because he can be a good depth player for us at right back.

I think barring injury Laryea starts the final two matches.

If he had done this and the attacker slotted it past him people on here would be slamming him for not trying to make a tackle. Some people need a scapegoat and Godinho is a easy one at this point.

I think it's telling that one could name another camp poutine roster that would arguably challenge this one.

Just to name some guys missing who could have been here:  Kaye, Johnson, Cavallini, Petrasso, Hamilton, Norman Jr, Zator, Ouimette, Pasher, Haworth, De Jong, Jakovic, Buchanan (anyone surprised at this non-call?), Wright, Raposo, Edgar, Awuah, Bekker, Bustos, Verhoeven, Aird, Jackson-Hamel, Attakora, Meilleur-Giguere, Levis, Montgomery, Laurent, Straith... maybe even Pasquotti, Campbell.  There's another 30 outfield players and I could keep going.  

Our domestic depth alone is better than the entire CMNT depth of March 2017.  Hell, 8 of those missing "domestic" guys were on the 2017 Gold Cup squad.  

This rise in depth isn't even fathomable.  Credit to Herdman but he really has lucked out here... it's not even fair to compare to past managers.

Edited by CanadaFan123

3 hours ago, TFC2017 said:

We seem to be playing a 4-2-2-2 which drops to a 4-4-2 when defending.

For the next game I'd like to see: 

Bair-Ricketts

Shaffelburg-Borges

Teibert-Shome

Morgan-Didic-Cornelius-Godinho

Pantemis 

Little bit of a mix of youth and experience. 

I don't know if we start Ricketts, without looking to far ahead, historically Iceland has really struggled with speed. I think Ricketts will actually cause some trouble for Iceland's defence, which open it up for guys like Oso etc

Geesh, its the blame Godinho game again??   What about Crepeau who spills the ball with a attacker 2 yards in front of him??  Blameless eh?  If Godinho didnt get stuck in there it would have been a clear goal or Creapau diving at the attackers legs and potentially drawing a red.  

As far as the roster for game 2, if you start Osorio, Piette, Akendele, RIckets, Cornelius etc they better get subbed early to keep them fresh for Iceland.