Canada vs Barbados - Jan 7th (Camp Poutine Match #1)

4 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I swear people have a selective memory on this board. The third goal was no one but Davies fault.

If he had done this and the attacker slotted it past him people on here would be slamming him for not trying to make a tackle. Some people need a scapegoat and Godinho is a easy one at this point.

How many more Godinho screw ups to you need to witness until you finally admit what we already all know?

Look they need to try and win all three games so you try and start whoever can get the job done. If that means none of the CPL players get on the pitch in any of the three games well I have no problem with it. If in the end they win all three games with none of the CPL players playing I doubt anyone will care in the end. These are not friendlies these are real games . If Herdman feels that one or all of these CPL guys can get the job done then they will play, but he is not going to play them because he owes them playing time because they play in our national league , they will play because he feels they could help and that’s it.

Edited by SoccMan

39 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

One **** game in the gold cup quarterfinal is not going to make me think he’s **** for the rest of time.

Why makes you say that?

Nobody around here is saying he is garbage and will always be garbage. He is playing at a decent level for his age and is starting and gaining experience. 

I didn't see any complaints when he was named to the roster and I didn't see any complaints when it was announced he would start.

I think the vast majority want him to do well, but for Canada he needed a mistake-free game to win people back after the Gold Cup shocker and that never happened. That's on Godinho.

Here's to hoping he has a better game if he sees the field again this camp!

Seems to me, Godinho would have gotten at least 2 hockey assists last night.  So, not actually watching the game it seems like he was involved and doing good things going forward. 

Getting a penalty when your keeper spills the ball to an attacker on the doorstep is not really a big mistake to me...its bad luck that 2 other peoples mistakes snowballed and you got stuck holding the bag.

19 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Crepeau should not be anywhere near number 1 for national team..even in vancouver if they go with him as no1 this year they will have trouble in goal..seen too many weaknesses from him to really believe he would be a strong no1 at mls level

Oof... you clearly didn’t follow Crepeau at all last season. He was one of the few bright spots for the Caps

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Seems to me, Godinho would have gotten at least 2 hockey assists last night.  So, not actually watching the game it seems like he was involved and doing good things going forward. 

Getting a penalty when your keeper spills the ball to an attacker on the doorstep is not really a big mistake to me...its bad luck that 2 other peoples mistakes snowballed and you got stuck holding the bag.

Agree. A small mistake no doubt, but a mistake nonetheless.

Unfortunately when you gain a reputation for making mistakes you are put under the microscope more than most.

Lots of replies regarding my earlier comment re: Godinho.  I'll just comment one last time to clear up any misunderstandings.  Sorry if this is the wrong board, but its related to yesterday match so i guess its relevant.

Gold Cup:

- ZBG played one game vs the toughest oponent, played fair, equivalent to the rest of the team and we didn't see him again.

- Godinho played two minnows, didn't impress, and played again vs Haiti where he failed horribly.  In the last 45 minutes he was directly responsible for 2 goals, and the entire build up of play on the 3rd goal. 

- His errors are the main reason Canada finds themselves behind El Salvador today.   The rest of the team played well enough to hold the lead vs Haiti.  Who knows what Canada could've accomplished if they held that game.

Vs Barbados:

Without checking, I believe around 4 people on this site instantly guessed Godinho was responsible for the PK without seeing the game or hearing any live feed.  We just knew, its obvious seeing him play those few games.  He lacks focus and tries too hard to make up for his errors in his own zone.  I realize it hurts some of his fanboys to read that, but we were right.  His foul was responsible for the PK.  Yes two others made mistakes, but they didn't give up a PK.  A goal doesn't count until the ball crosses the line.  Saying the guy certainly would've scored if he hadn't fouled him is bull****, even Canada hit a bunch of posts yesterday.  That's the reality of soccer.  You can take a chance, but usually you're just better off hoping the guy will miss without comiting an obvious foul in the box (and risking a red).  That's where maturity, defensive instinct, split second decision making and defensive responsibility comes in.  Godinho has shown us he doesn't have any of those at the moment.  He needs to work on that at club level, not with the CANMNT jersey on while we're trying to qualify for the world ****** cup!

Of course i hope he figures his stuff out and develops into a responsible and proper RB.  There is nothing i'd like more than for him to make me come back to this post and eat my words.  I hope Herdman just felt bad for the guy and wanted to give him a shot at redemption.

Edited by costarg

That goal is mostly on crepeau..he should absolutely catch that ball and was pretty simple and not difficult but lets it go in front of goal and the forward is getting there first as he is already making a run and can then finish it with 1 or 2 touches..at that point godinho must throw himself..godinho has made many mistakes but this one is on crepeau

Feel, like Godinho hasn't fully move past youth fútbol just yet!!!... I don't see him ready for the full international game just yet, hence why he dropped down a couple levels and why he is likely being considered for the Olympic team... I think the Olympic team & consequently that level of competition is what suits him best now!!!

Again, like many in here, I would like to see him grow & develop as player, correct and minimize those mental gaffes he has shown and move up a notch, once his play demonstrates it at his current level!

Good thing, we unearth a RB out of nowhere as the CANPL Depth Chart Analysis Editorial team put it (you all know whom I am referring to) + hopefully our other RB continue their development and rise up our game. We seem to have another couple good options, but who are waiting for their chances at the national team!!!... This I'm basing it on many posts in here + some of the latest CANPL articles I caught up with    & podcasts I've been listening to over the last couple of months!!!

Looking forward to Fri., let alone lineup & formations!!!

15 hours ago, costarg said:

His foul was responsible for the PK.  Yes two others made mistakes, but they didn't give up a PK.  A goal doesn't count until the ball crosses the line.  Saying the guy certainly would've scored if he hadn't fouled him is bull****

Using that logic the goal is Crepeau's fault. Saying the guy certainly would score because he had a penalty is bull****. A goal doesn't count until the ball crosses the line, so I guess that means that at the time of the penalty, it hadn't crossed the line yet, there was more work to be done just like there would have been more work to be done for the striker if Godinho didn't foul him. Crepeau let the penalty go in, so it must have been his fault.

It's funny how you blame Godinho for the Barbados goal because his mistake was the last of the 3 mistakes. And yet, you blame Godinho for goals 1 and 3 in the Haiti game despite there being other mistakes (Borjan failing to clear for goal 1, and Davies failing to mark his man for goal 3) that happened after Godinho's.

It's clear that in your opinion, the mistakes that matter are the ones that Godinho makes.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Using that logic the goal is Crepeau's fault. Saying the guy certainly would score because he had a penalty is bull****. A goal doesn't count until the ball crosses the line, so I guess that means that at the time of the penalty, it hadn't crossed the line yet, there was more work to be done just like there would have been more work to be done for the striker if Godinho didn't foul him. Crepeau let the penalty go in, so it must have been his fault.

It's funny how you blame Godinho for the Barbados goal because his mistake was the last of the 3 mistakes. And yet, you blame Godinho for goals 1 and 3 in the Haiti game despite there being other mistakes (Borjan failing to clear for goal 1, and Davies failing to mark his man for goal 3) that happened after Godinho's.

It's clear that in your opinion, the mistakes that matter are the ones that Godinho makes.

I mean the common denominator in all those goals is Godinho. To be fair the Barbados goal is not his fault, he simply played a part in a comedy of errors. We need to bare in mind that these guys never play together so these moments of confusing are going to happen. 

Back to the Gold Cup, Godinho was abysmal and should be 5th or 6th on our full back depth chart because of that. He isn't up to the national team standards anymore.

Can we all just rewind to where the Godinho hate started.  Suddenly he was abysmal in the Gold Cup and not for just one game?

And based off that one game everyone jokingly assumed that it was Godinho that gave up the PK in the last game.  He did... but it was not an egregious error.  Still, people have used this confirmation bias to say that yes, he must truly be terrible... even though no one saw the rest of 89 minutes.  

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Can we all just rewind to where the Godinho hate started.  Suddenly he was abysmal in the Gold Cup and not for just one game?

And based off that one game everyone jokingly assumed that it was Godinho that gave up the PK in the last game.  He did... but it was not an egregious error.  Still, people have used this confirmation bias to say that yes, he must truly be terrible... even though no one saw the rest of 89 minutes.  

Well he played the other two games against Cuba (a game we won 7-0) and Martinique (a 4-0 win) and did alright in both. He wasn't super impressive, but he didn't make any big mistakes that I remember either. Clearly though his Gold Cup was defined by the Haiti game.

So yeah, 2 good games and 1 bad game perhaps makes it harsh to say he had a bad Gold Cup, but his 1 bad game was really bad and that was the most important game so I don't blame anyone for saying his Gold Cup was bad.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Well he played the other two games against Cuba (a game we won 7-0) and Martinique (a 4-0 win) and did alright in both. He wasn't super impressive, but he didn't make any big mistakes that I remember either. Clearly though his Gold Cup was defined by the Haiti game.

So yeah, 2 good games and 1 bad game perhaps makes it harsh to say he had a bad Gold Cup, but his 1 bad game was really bad and that was the most important game so I don't blame anyone for saying his Gold Cup was bad.

Davies didn't have a great game against Haiti either.  I could probably go through our entire pool and pick out a time when they've all fallen short at some point or another.  Remember Piette was this whipping boy just a few years ago.  Prior to the Haiti game he hadn't made any mistakes and to be fair.. I'm still not convinced that Godinho was at fault for more than one goal in that Haiti game.  

On a more positive note, let's give Chapman the accolades he deserves for his contribution in game 1 against Barbados. 

We didn't see the game, but he was involved in 3 of the 4 goals based on the highlights. 

First goal he picks out Osorio who finds Akindele, who's shot hits the post and Ricketts is there for the rebound.

Second goal his composed header in the box finds Akindele.

Third goal he drives into the box and picks out Osorio, who beats the keeper.

Very positive to see from Jay. I think his stock may have rose a bit with Herdman after that match..

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Davies didn't have a great game against Haiti either.  I could probably go through our entire pool and pick out a time when they've all fallen short at some point or another.  Remember Piette was this whipping boy just a few years ago.  Prior to the Haiti game he hadn't made any mistakes and to be fair.. I'm still not convinced that Godinho was at fault for more than one goal in that Haiti game.  

Whether or not the backpass to Borjan was his fault or not will always be debated, but there is no denying he was involved. Davies had a bad game against Haiti (and I think Davies deserves more criticism for his left back displays), but he was not the one who passed it back to Borjan, Godinho was. 

At best it is unfortunate that Godinho was involved, but he was involved and like someone else said, he has a habit of being involved in some way, shape or form when mistakes happen. Common denominator.

20 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I was personally not all that impressed with his other games.

Than again, I haven't been to impressed by him since his TFC2 days. He showed the exact same weaknesses with the academy.

He can really struggle 1 v 1 and gets caught out of position at times, and when that happens, he tends to run back and make a careless tackle from behind for whatever reason. It's like his signature at this point.

Maybe end up as a depth player for the team, but in no way do I think he'll ever improve to the point he'll be a starter or the second preferred player in the RB position. If I'm wrong I would be happy, but I just can't see it.

5 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

I was personally not all that impressed with his other games.

Than again, I haven't been to impressed by him since his TFC2 days. He showed the exact same weaknesses with the academy.

He can really struggle 1 v 1 and gets caught out of position at times, and when that happens, he tends to run back and make a careless tackle from behind for whatever reason. It's like his signature at this point.

Maybe end up as a depth player for the team, but in no way do I think he'll ever improve to the point he'll be a starter or the second preferred player in the RB position. If I'm wrong I would be happy, but I just can't see it.

I thought I was a fan of Godinho....you watched his handful of games for TFC2 and remember him from 5 years ago??  I had to double check when he turned up in Scotland as i didnt remember him at all from TFC2.