Camp Poutine 2020 in beautiful California

Alex

28 minutes ago, Reign said:

Kind of ironic that people are worried about Didic’s speed when Zator has been left off in favour of him. Zator is a much quicker player then Didic. Wonder what it is Herdman sees in Didic over Zator. 

I don’t know the irony but Zator had the better season.  Maybe Herdman sees that Didic has has 4 professional seasons and over 100 starts at the same age. Zator is 25 and has been a surprise in his first pro season.  

Didic is cerebral and really big and physical.  He’s a classic CB.

53 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

What I find strange is that if the rumors are true, Montreal is interested in Waterman and not Zator or DIdic.   I imagine all 3 would come in at league minimum, so money probably wouldnt be an issue for Montreal.  

Waterman is more versatile. He can play CB/FB/CDM/CM. Could be a great depth player that can be slotted in all over the place.

Didic has been involved with past U23 squads and has participated in a few senior squads in the past. Zator had never been called up to any Canada team at any level until November. I am not surprised Didic is ahead of Zator right now. 

I think Zator got a look in part because he was moved to full back and did well there. A player who demonstrates versatility is valuable.

Good for Zator and Cavalry that he got some NT experience, but my guess is that he needs to keep improving to get opportunities in the future. I was a little surprised he got an opportunity this soon to begin with.

Very good camp. One of the best camp pountines in recent memory. Some exciting players have emerged, while others didn't get the chance we expected, or didn't perform with the chance they had like we thought they would.

Stock up: Bassong, Brym, Didic, Nelsen, Chapman, Fraser

Unchanged: Cornelius, Piette, Osorio, Ricketts, Godinho, Bair, Pantemis, Carducci, Teibert, Shome, Okello

Stock down: Miller, Laryea, Morgan, James, Akindele, Borges, Schaffelburg, Crepeau, Adekugbe

Edited by Obinna

2 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Let's just say I don't agree with a few of your takes ;)

haha yeah I know. It's a January camp so it's hard to take away much from it. Nobody locked down a spot or played their way off the team.

All the same, there are players who I was higher on before this camp and players I wasn't too high on or knew little about which surprised me in a good way. 

On 1/15/2020 at 9:14 PM, Obinna said:

All the same, there are players who I was higher on before this camp 

Chapman, Borges, Tesho

On 1/15/2020 at 9:14 PM, Obinna said:

and players I wasn't too high on or knew little about which surprised me in a good way. 

Bassong, Brym, Fraser 

I know our CB depth is poor, and I didn't mind Didic in the CPL this season, but I don't think he should be a real option for us moving forward. I saw about 50-60% of the Iceland game total (not consecutive). I would say he was miscast in this match with us having lots of possession and playing high up the pitch. But even taking that into account, he often didn't win where he was supposed to win i.e. aerial duels and protecting the box. I say this reluctantly because as I mentioned, I did not see the entire match and this is purely based on memory from a couple days ago now.

19 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I know our CB depth is poor, and I didn't mind Didic in the CPL this season, but I don't think he should be a real option for us moving forward. I saw about 50-60% of the Iceland game total (not consecutive). I would say he was miscast in this match with us having lots of possession and playing high up the pitch. But even taking that into account, he often didn't win where he was supposed to win i.e. aerial duels and protecting the box. I say this reluctantly because as I mentioned, I did not see the entire match and this is purely based on memory from a couple days ago now.

None of the other CBs played perfect games either. I thought that he looked to be the best CB of all the guys we saw playing there against Barbados and Iceland. 

He is not the answer, but I definitely felt he pushed himself higher up the depth chart. I would be surprised if he doesn't sign with the Whitecaps and get some minutes there

29 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I more or less agree. Based on what I saw I think he justified his selection for this camp. If we played a wcq tomorrow and everyone is available I don't think he makes our 18, but I think he at least remains in the conversation to be part of our wider pool moving forward.

It's always good for us to have options, because injury and suspension can and will happen during our qualifying campaign. 

Right now I see him as a player who can be used to fill out our squad if we are missing some of our best defenders.

In other words, he is in the James, Edgar, Jakovic, Hainault, Straith category (and may very well be at the top of that list). He is not yet in the Henry, Cornelius, Vitoria, Miller category. He may never get there, but at least he will be in the back of Herdman's mind the next time we play a friendly.

Edited by Obinna

6 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

None of the other CBs played perfect games either. I thought that he looked to be the best CB of all the guys we saw playing there against Barbados and Iceland. 

He is not the answer, but I definitely felt he pushed himself higher up the depth chart. I would be surprised if he doesn't sign with the Whitecaps and get some minutes there

Kamal Miller was probably the best CB followed by didic.