Vancouver Whitecaps 2020 Season

Watchmen

3 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Caps have added a winger:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2020/01/27/wfc-acquire-milinkovic

Seems like a character guy, hard working, with some quality. Not a game-changer, but a decent piece (perhaps). 

Seems like he's very much not a hard working, quality guy. Hull fans glad to be rid of him.

https://www.eightysixforever.com/2020/1/27/21083996/hulls-mystery-man-is-david-milinkovic-worth-the-risk

Seems much more like another Ardaiz gamble, which is something they should be avoiding right now. 

41 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Seems like he's very much not a hard working, quality guy. Hull fans glad to be rid of him.

https://www.eightysixforever.com/2020/1/27/21083996/hulls-mystery-man-is-david-milinkovic-worth-the-risk

Seems much more like another Ardaiz gamble, which is something they should be avoiding right now. 

Ardaiz had plenty of upside, potential and positive references. That kind of a gamble is at least a bit more logical. 

David is 25 and has had one good season at Hearts two years ago and I suppose a decent year before in the 4th tier Italian football. We have had better people on trial in previous seasons. Last years squad badly needed improving on and on paper he is worse than both winger we brought in that failed last year.

Obviously "I'm overreacting" would be an understatement but I feel there is so much potential and now is the time to act. Fans arent stupid they know the Davies money is there, they know the club has been poorly run. The upper management changes seem encouraging but it looks like the same old shit with transfers. 

Watch this guy and the others tear it down now. If so I'm delighted to be badly wrong. I am just hugely underwhelmed by the signings so far. Cavallini should be a banker but the rest seem like gambles, dajome shouldn't be but we shall see. We should be getting proven quality players in, even if they are already in the league. Hopefully they are around the corner and the squad will be transformed come march.

I feel like they again arent give MDS the tools to succeed and arguably worse he seems complicit. 

Godoy is fine but he isnt in the same league as a Waston or demerit. We need a spine of serious quality at CB CM and Upfront. We have one out of three. 

Fans are already leaving. Prospective CPL owners in BC must be rubbing their hands with glee. Another season like the last couple and they will gift wrap the fanbase for others. 

Silly kneejerk rant over.

15 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/01/29/vancouver-whitecaps-acquire-gk-bryan-meredith-trade-inter-miami-cf

Crap....I was hoping Hasal would get some games this year.  I guess starting the season with only back up being a 20 year old homegrown academy keeper is a little scary.  

Likewise. Not to say he won't still but getting some experience was necessary for sure. 

On 1/29/2020 at 11:17 PM, Bison44 said:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/01/29/vancouver-whitecaps-acquire-gk-bryan-meredith-trade-inter-miami-cf

Crap....I was hoping Hasal would get some games this year.  I guess starting the season with only back up being a 20 year old homegrown academy keeper is a little scary.  

Vancouver and Montreal now have a combined total of 3 Americans on their rosters.  Only one outfield player = Nerwinski.

This is just crazy to think about and it's so refreshing given the way we have treated Americans and the treatment our guys have received in return.

• 2 weeks later...

2020 Vancouver Whitecaps Roster as of February 14, 2020:

HEAD COACH: Marc Dos Santos

FORWARDS (5):

• Bair, Theo
  • Cavallini, Lucas
  • Montero, Fredy
  • Reyna, Yordy
  • Ricketts, Tosaint

MIDFIELDERS (11):

• Baldisimo, Michael
  • Colyn, Simon
  • Dajome, Cristian
  • Hwang, Inbeom
  • Metcalfe, Patrick
  • Milinkovic, David
  • Owusu, Leonard
  • Pecile, Damiano
  • Raposo, Ryan
  • Rose, Andy
  • Teibert, Russell

DEFENDERS (9):

• Adnan, Ali
  • Cornelius, Derek
  • Facchineri, Gianfranco
  • Godoy, Erik
  • Gutierrez, Cristian
  • Khmiri, Jasser
  • Mukumbilwa, Georges
  • Nerwinski, Jake
  • Veselinovic, Ranko

GOALKEEPERS (3):

• Crepeau, Maxime
  • Hasal, Thomas
  • Meredith, Bryan

It's a very underwhelming roster and has that typical greyness that seems to infuse most MLS rosters, it's dull as fck. 

I don't get how you can bring in all these new minds to redo the team and get more or less the same as what Lenarduzzi would have done. 

I agree that the Lower Mainland is ripe for the picking with the Caps insisting on being so uninspiring. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Seriously though, if you look at Shalke, they are carrying 25 players and 9 are U21. The Caps are carrying 29 players and 10 are U21. If you want an elite youth development person, you would look to the Bundesliga. So meeting the new boss and finding he's the same as the old boss probably reflects on ownership. 

For the record, I agree they will likely be bad in MLS. I've said many times that if the CPL existed in 2007, there's no way Kerfoot tries for MLS. CPL would have suited his objectives at the time (developing Canadian players) and I don't think those objectives have changed despite a lot of criticism elsewhere on this topic.

Arguably, the residency has had it's most success in the hands of a German, although I think Richard Grootscholten was the best guy we've had. He just didn't stick around very long.

I see this as a midtable MLS side which, when it goes on a bad run of losing close matches, gets despised as horrid with the usual whipping boys brought to the fore, while if it goes on winning streak of other close matches, gets over-analyzed as being a masterclass with some young guys get overhyped as having massive upside.  Pumping up the upfield pressing game gives the team that "blue collar" ethos of the little-engine-that-could, punching-above-its-weight against the sexy market franchises.  With that, they are definitely in a great over-deliver posture.

However, I am looking forward to some live streams of these next exhibition matches in Portland just to see where some of these guys are at.

15 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I see this as a midtable MLS side which, when it goes on a bad run of losing close matches, gets despised as horrid with the usual whipping boys brought to the fore, while if it goes on winning streak of other close matches, gets over-analyzed as being a masterclass with some young guys get overhyped as having massive upside.

LOL. This is what happens ALL THE TIME.