Vancouver Whitecaps 2020 Season

Watchmen

Didic won't break the bank, unlike possibly someone else from abroad.  I wonder about the Tunisian's durability, so that checks off a box in his favour.  At the very least, if the other three CBs carry the load in their base two CB back line, Didic might get a loan out to another club or a loan back to CPL.  The worse scenario would be for him to just be on the bench here getting a start in Vees Cup.

I hope he makes a good impression this preseason.

On 1/8/2020 at 4:20 AM, SpursFlu said:

You don't like going to BC Place?

Besides being a soulless toilet, BC Place has the worst atmosphere I've ever experienced.  That's not all down to the supporters, though, although the drums don't help.  Those cornball curtains at the top absorb any sound other than the incessant drumming.  Then there's the tiny pinhole opening at the top that's been closed 90% of the time that I've been there, even on sunny days.  Then there's the giant gap in the middle of the stands at both ends, the plastic pitch, the over-priced food that tastes as if it was made out of the previous pitch...Cool lights on the outside though.

Edited by vancanman

3 hours ago, vancanman said:

Besides being a soulless toilet, BC Place has the worst atmosphere I've ever experienced.  That's not all down to the supporters, though, although the drums don't help.  Those cornball curtains at the top absorb any sound other than the incessant drumming.  Then there's the tiny pinhole opening at the top that's been closed 90% of the time that I've been there, even on sunny days.  Then there's the giant gap in the middle of the stands at both ends, the plastic pitch, the over-priced food that tastes as if it was made out of the previous pitch...Cool lights on the outside though.

Ha!  While I might consider your critique a bit harsh, I have to admit I cannot wait until the day when they've a proper stadium. I think it will happen, but not for quite a while yet. As for the food, what were you expecting?  Just down a couple of super over-priced pissbeers, and then anything you eat will taste miraculously...well, slightly less terrible.  I just eat the popcorn. 

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Good for Vancouver he returns and I don't think it'll have any bearing on Didic. 

Perhaps this saves Vancouver from having to shop abroad for a CB though...

Very happy Godoy is back. He will be central to the cause (forgive the pun) this year.  He might be a good guy to captain the team, but I suspect MDS will go for a cat like Andy Rose. Which makes little sense considering he shouldn't be a starter in most games. But I am happy to see the Caps putting the pieces together. While MDS has not made nearly as many changes to the roster as he did when he first joined, this team still has a lot of new guys. It is going to take time for them to find their chemistry.  

"The lads need time to gel" should replace, "Our all.  Our honour," as the team's motto, because I've heard some variation of this phrase every year since the beginning in MLS. That, or, "I think we've finally turned the corner."  Pick one!

That said, I'm optimistic.  They will continue to be a moneyball team but I have hope that Schuster and his connections will make enough good fit personnel decisions to make this season a relatively successful one.  If there is another summer swoon, I think the shelf life of the coach will be question.

By the looks of the quotes it doesn't look like Facchineri will factor into the first team other than gaining experience training there. Seems like safeguarding a talented prospect and rewarding for his hard work. Minutes will likely depend on circumstance. He might progress quicker and push on or injuries might give him a chance. 

Not news to worry and Didic fans though. Still think he is playing for that 4th CB slot and giving whitecaps and easier decision than spending money abroad to pay for a player. 

Metcalfe is a more interesting signing. Just turned 21 last November. Does he jump ahead of Baldismo or will one or both be loaned out?  Or option 3 are they both fighting for first team minutes. The midfield at present does present that opportunity. Good for Canada if so.

From a Whitecaps fan perspective that scenario would be a worry. Desperately need a solid proven CM addition. It's a midfield currently stocked with young potential (and Rusty - refuse to count Rose). Lots of fans are running out of patience with Whitecaps taking cheap options and gambling on potential that never comes to pass. If it works out kudos but it's a dangerous game if they play it. 

If they end up getting the final midfield key signing, the only minutes Baldisimo and Metcalfe will see will be in Canadian Championship action, and even less time if Sissoko sticks.  I'm betting that Baldisimo heads over to the island to join his older brother with Pacific FC sooner than later while Metcalfe becomes the "next man up" in his spot. 

Facchineri, as mentioned, is a very young prospect they want to have committed to the club.  I don't see him in the mix for next year.   

20 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Ha!  While I might consider your critique a bit harsh, I have to admit I cannot wait until the day when they've a proper stadium. I think it will happen, but not for quite a while yet. As for the food, what were you expecting?  Just down a couple of super over-priced pissbeers, and then anything you eat will taste miraculously...well, slightly less terrible.  I just eat the popcorn. 

If I didn't have explodophobia (a fear of popcorn) your solution would be perfect.  I had a traumatic childhood.

5 hours ago, toontownman said:

By the looks of the quotes it doesn't look like Facchineri will factor into the first team other than gaining experience training there. Seems like safeguarding a talented prospect and rewarding for his hard work. Minutes will likely depend on circumstance. He might progress quicker and push on or injuries might give him a chance. 

Not news to worry and Didic fans though. Still think he is playing for that 4th CB slot and giving whitecaps and easier decision than spending money abroad to pay for a player. 

Metcalfe is a more interesting signing. Just turned 21 last November. Does he jump ahead of Baldismo or will one or both be loaned out?  Or option 3 are they both fighting for first team minutes. The midfield at present does present that opportunity. Good for Canada if so.

From a Whitecaps fan perspective that scenario would be a worry. Desperately need a solid proven CM addition. It's a midfield currently stocked with young potential (and Rusty - refuse to count Rose). Lots of fans are running out of patience with Whitecaps taking cheap options and gambling on potential that never comes to pass. If it works out kudos but it's a dangerous game if they play it. 

Back in April, I watched the Whitecaps' development squad play against an experienced, 6th-tier team in South London. They were outplayed (read, bullied) for much of the 90 minutes, but still won 1-nil. It was the night that I knew that Kam Habibullah was going to be a star and that Simon Colyn probably won't. I saw with my own eyes what a physical specimen, and on-pitch workhorse Theo Bair is. Amongst all that, Patrick Metcalfe was the standout player for the 'Caps, even though he was moved around, playing CB in the first half, then as a 6 in the second half. The boy can play. I hope he gets some serious chances.

There's still time for something to happen, but so far they've upgraded one position (Cavallini at striker), brought in a new winger who's a questions mark (Dahone) and spent the rest of their time locking up components or adding back ups for a team that finished 2nd to last in the entire league.  I'm not at all optimistic for this season. 

17 hours ago, Watchmen said:

There's still time for something to happen, but so far they've upgraded one position (Cavallini at striker), brought in a new winger who's a questions mark (Dahone) and spent the rest of their time locking up components or adding back ups for a team that finished 2nd to last in the entire league.  I'm not at all optimistic for this season. 

A solid DM who can also move the ball and an improvement at CB could be enough.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

A solid DM who can also move the ball and an improvement at CB could be enough.

More players coming according to the MDS interview on the caps site today. Suggested a few to the point people would be asking how everyone will fit in and get game time. Interesting.

CB, CM/DM, RB and RW probably makes sense. 3 quality players that covers that could definitely change the season.

Edit: looking at our resident Glass City's twitter he is suggesting these are in the works:

Matias Rojas - Left Wing/ACM

Santiago Cáseres - DM

Claudio Winck - RB

Edited by toontownman
Update

On 1/22/2020 at 5:26 PM, vancanman said:

The lights outside are terrible. You lost me on that one

On 1/23/2020 at 2:26 AM, vancanman said:

It is very pretty, the seats are comfortable, and the sightlines are good. It is in a great location. It has a lot of positives.

The sound is poor and you realise this when you are not in a supporter section but close--that atmosphere you get close up fades fast just a section or two away.

On 1/25/2020 at 11:46 AM, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Then for the love of us all, do not have the pissbeer AND the popcorn. You'll inflate the dome all by yo'self.

Although I'm not a fan of that roof, with its navel-sized opening that lets in sunlight onto the 'pitch' over a space about as big as the centre circle, there's no chance of that.  I can't drink that stuff.  So, here's an oldie but a goodie:

Q: Why is American beer like sex in a canoe?  A: Because they're both f***ing close to water.

On 1/25/2020 at 9:07 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

It is very pretty, the seats are comfortable, and the sightlines are good. It is in a great location. It has a lot of positives.

The sound is poor and you realise this when you are not in a supporter section but close--that atmosphere you get close up fades fast just a section or two away.

OK, yes.  The location's great.  I've never sat on the seats for more than ten minutes.   I'm not sure what you mean by pretty, but it's not on my list of things that make a good football ground.  

You're bang on with the sound.  It's horrible, for exactly what you described.  The only sound that carries in that tomb are drums (so why not have five of them!?)

On 1/24/2020 at 8:06 PM, toontownman said:

More players coming according to the MDS interview on the caps site today. Suggested a few to the point people would be asking how everyone will fit in and get game time. Interesting.

CB, CM/DM, RB and RW probably makes sense. 3 quality players that covers that could definitely change the season.

Edit: looking at our resident Glass City's twitter he is suggesting these are in the works:

Matias Rojas - Left Wing/ACM

Santiago Cáseres - DM

Claudio Winck - RB

Glass City dropped Caseres, citing that it's an Argentinian in their domestic league. That's when he speculated Rojas.

Caps have added a winger:

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2020/01/27/wfc-acquire-milinkovic

Seems like a character guy, hard working, with some quality. Not a game-changer, but a decent piece (perhaps).  From what I can tell, this is going to be a hard working Caps team, if nothing else. They will not be fun to play against.  Still think we need a bit of magic in midfield. Perhaps they are expecting Inbeom to rise to the challenge. 

Not into this transfer at all. Let hope all these ducks magical fall into line. Looks a bit more like hearding kittens at the moment and I am sceptical this is the caps of old getting cheap stop gap deals. 

This player has fallen out with his previous coaches and comes with a bad reputation in and around the lockeroom at Hull. 

Hardly a sterling career, he has had 11 clubs and he is 25. I cant believe we couldnt have got better. It is an odd one. Maybe he will prove me completely wrong though. 

From the outside looks like a venuto but at least venuto was highly rated at one point.