Sign in to follow this  
Watchmen

Vancouver Whitecaps 2020 Season

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I know I am totally overstating thjings, but just answer this: what DP in the ten year history of the Caps in MLS was worth what he was paid, in the overall consensus of regular fans?

You see how there is a pattern there, where Adnan is just the final little squiggle to appear in a sequence of familiar looking squiggles. And the language used to describe that squiggle also has it own little pattern.

DPs I think most people would agree were worth what they were paid: Hassli, Miller, Morales (first few years), Montero (first time around), Waston (who was a DP in his final year).  I don't think most people think Adnan is worth what he's paid.  I think most people know what the situation is with the Whitecaps: they're cheap they don't want to pay players.  I also think lots of people know this too: They're likely to overpay for a player who's not of DP quality in MLS just to say they used a DP spot. See: Shea and Ardaiz.

I think maybe the better question is how many Whitecaps DPs were difference makers on the pitch.  That's an even shorter list, and I don't think Adnan makes it because of the nature of the position he plays.  It's just really tough to be a true difference maker offensively from LB while also doing the defensive work necessary.

13 hours ago, Watchmen said:

DPs I think most people would agree were worth what they were paid: Hassli, Miller, Morales (first few years), Montero (first time around), Waston (who was a DP in his final year).  I don't think most people think Adnan is worth what he's paid.  I think most people know what the situation is with the Whitecaps: they're cheap they don't want to pay players.  I also think lots of people know this too: They're likely to overpay for a player who's not of DP quality in MLS just to say they used a DP spot. See: Shea and Ardaiz.

I think maybe the better question is how many Whitecaps DPs were difference makers on the pitch.  That's an even shorter list, and I don't think Adnan makes it because of the nature of the position he plays.  It's just really tough to be a true difference maker offensively from LB while also doing the defensive work necessary.

I basically agree, even in the details about Morales, Montero. At least Waston was a true blue centre back, undeniable, and a leader on the pitch. 

We paid Shea upwards of 700 grand I believe. As a role player with an iffy attitude.

Watching the FO and observing Schuster makes me think of David Graeber's Bull*hit Jobs, it is all about creating useless admin superstructure which is simply a fine simile of an organization. Then you think you are managing a pro team because in the office the cubicles are full and as higher management that calms your anxiety about whether you are doing anything useful or not. 

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We paid Shea upwards of 700 grand I believe. As a role player with an iffy attitude.

Yup.  And they slapped the DP tag on him.  "Whoops.  Sorry,  All the DP spots are full.  Can't bring in another."

Just tuned in to the 'Caps/Timbers match a few minutes before half-time. Looks like Dos Santos has decided that the Canadian players were to blame for the embarrassment of the last game. Must not be many mirrors in his house.

solid game solid lineup..cavallini bad finishing and they gotta find more chances..but with this squad and godoy back they can really make the playoffs with only four teams of each conference missing it..they put a lot of pressure on portland and often looked better..subs should have been made before..players were dead last fifteen minutes..bikel looks uncomfortable on the ball looking forward..owusu the opposite and was very active

When I saw that Portland were starting their JV, especially at both fullback spots, I thought the Caps could get a win but they gave up a poorly conceded than defended free kick goal, got unlucky with Rose's header hitting the post right after and then didn't convert a couple of other excellent chances, and that was that.  I still thought they could snatch something but the final minutes but, much like Schaad's pbp during that stretch, there was no urgency.

The CBs did well.  I'm hoping that this Godoy-as-RB nonsense is over.  He's their best CB and needs to stay there.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Just tuned in to the 'Caps/Timbers match a few minutes before half-time. Looks like Dos Santos has decided that the Canadian players were to blame for the embarrassment of the last game. Must not be many mirrors in his house.

Think this is a bit harsh.  It just looked like squad rotation to me.  And Bair has been an irregular starter anyway.

What a crappy break for the youngster.  Just when it seemed like we were going to flesh out or keeper depth.  The CPL guys (Pantemis, Carducci, Oxner) and 3 guys playing in MLS this year (Crepeau, Hasal, StClair) and forgotten man Leuutwiler made me think there would be some real competition for the back up to Borjan.  

19 hours ago, Nate3322 said:

Evan Bush has been traded to the Whitecaps apparently. A bit worrying does this mean Hasal is out long term?

https://mobile.twitter.com/TonyMarinaro/status/1310397698328199170

Seems like a horrible move.  Bush's contract is for next year as well at over $300 000!

That's not what the supporters wanted when they said the club should invest in the squad!

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

What a crappy break for the youngster.  Just when it seemed like we were going to flesh out or keeper depth.  The CPL guys (Pantemis, Carducci, Oxner) and 3 guys playing in MLS this year (Crepeau, Hasal, StClair) and forgotten man Leuutwiler made me think there would be some real competition for the back up to Borjan.  

By the time we play another national team game, they will both probably be healthy.

On 9/28/2020 at 3:27 PM, Acid-Tone said:

Seems like a horrible move.  Bush's contract is for next year as well at over $300 000!

That's not what the supporters wanted when they said the club should invest in the squad!

Tbf lots of people have been constantly been saying Caps are "Bush League". Fans speak, the club listens.

Has Patrick Metcalfe got a "no forward passes clause" in his contract or something? Team is down two goals late, has a chance to knock the ball into the box where two strikers are waiting, and instead decides "ah what the hell, I'll send it back to our defenders in the middle of the park".

Posted (edited)

That ref  decsion after VAR review really bugs me.  What it shows is that ref was more concerned about saving his skin rather than making sure that the right call is made.   He initially gave a PK to the Caps and a red card to the defender.  What the replay showed was that the contact occurred outside the box, was not initiated by the defender, and that the trailing leg of the defended did not even touch Cavallini. 

There was no foul on the play <period>.  And as far as the contact, whatever contact there was, it was initiated by Cavallini.   So what does he do after the review? All he does is recind the red and reduce it to a yellow.   Talk about arrogance.   Biggest flaw with the VAR process is that it still leave the decision to the guy in the pitch.   In other sports i dont see that kind of arrogance from the officials.   If there is a mistake, they just make sure the right call is made, admit their mistake and move on.  

Edited by Free kick

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

That ref  decsion after VAR review really bugs me.  What it shows is that ref was more concerned about saving his skin rather than making sure that the right call is made.   He initially gave a PK to the Caps and a red card to the defender.  What the replay showed was that the contact occurred outside the box, was not initiated by the defender, and that the trailing leg of the defended did not even touch Cavallini. 

There was no foul on the play <period>.  And as far as the contact, whatever contact there was, it was initiated by Cavallini.   So what does he do after the review? All he does is recind the red and reduce it to a yellow.   Talk about arrogance.   Biggest flaw with the VAR process is that it still leave the decision to the guy in the pitch.   In other sports i dont see that kind of arrogance from the officials.   If there is a mistake, they just make sure the right call is made, admit their mistake and move on.  

Lots of crappy calls last night by this ref.

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

You don't watch much NBA, maybe 10-15% of games have their turns and pace--and often the outcome with that-- decided by capricious reffing. In these playoffs, what happened with the Mavericks was appalling, they were creamed. In playoff series in general, they seem to be always wanting to have a say in the narrative.

Meredith does not seem to be a good goalkeeper, at least from the highlights I saw.  Two of the goals he should have had or at least done a better job clearing the ball.  Do Whitecaps fans think they will put Bush in net next game?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You don't watch much NBA, maybe 10-15% of games have their turns and pace--and often the outcome with that-- decided by capricious reffing. In these playoffs, what happened with the Mavericks was appalling, they were creamed. In playoff series in general, they seem to be always wanting to have a say in the narrative.

I do watch the NBA.   The ref’s, after a review, are not scared to completely reverse the decsion that they made.   In MLS, with VAR,  this ref looked to avoid making himself look bad.  Thats arrogance.    That was my point, not whether the calls are capricious or not.  

funny,  after my post above, i was watching the replay of the Bayern vs Hertha Berlin game.  And there was VAR decsion on the Muller goal.  I didnt see the ref go over to screen and review his own call.   Nope, instead the VAR reviewed decided that the goal should should not count due ot offside.   And the call was reversed.    Thats the way it should work.  And thats the way it should work in MLS.   VAR should be a second objective and independent pair of eyes.  

Edited by Free kick

On 10/3/2020 at 9:09 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Has Patrick Metcalfe got a "no forward passes clause" in his contract or something? Team is down two goals late, has a chance to knock the ball into the box where two strikers are waiting, and instead decides "ah what the hell, I'll send it back to our defenders in the middle of the park".

Maybe he was working on padding his Opta passing stats with a 100% completion rate through safe passes.

7 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Maybe he was working on padding his Opta passing stats with a 100% completion rate through safe passes.

Speaking of opta.  Since the start of the pandemic, i havent been able to find them.  When i click on Audi index,  a blank page always comes up.