Jump to content

Vancouver Whitecaps 2020 Season


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

He looked inconsequential last night, but perhaps because he was played out of position. Just another pilon for TFC to move through with ease.

I'd like to see him get a regular start as an LB and frankly, judging by how Adnan played last night coupled with his seeing that In-Beom got transferred for a good price in spite of inconsistent play, the Iraqi and his agent might be accelerating the process to get out of out town asap, so Guttierez might become that starter sooner than we think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a pandemic.  It spreads easily.  One player catching it could easily spread it to the others.  This has all been known for a long time.  You've spent the last few months choosing to ignore this, 

Question for anyone.  If there were no longer any Canadian teams in the MLS (for whatever reason) would you still watch it? I wouldnt, other than maybe to catch the odd game if there were ma

Posted Images

2 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I wonder how much longer Schuster will keep MDS. I mean, MDS is not the only problem, but it is looking more and more like he has no idea how to find success at this level, in this league.  But the squad is not especially strong either, is it? TFC, to be fair, is still a very good side. But the Caps had nothing last night.

It was a match where I started singing, "Whatta load of rubbish!" as I was watching from the privacy of my own rec room.  I still haven't finished watching my recording of the last 30 minutes! 

Schuster didn't hire MDS, hence he is a place holder and firewall for him, so to me it's a question of "when" not "if."

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I'd like to see him get a regular start as an LB and frankly, judging by how Adnan played last night coupled with his seeing that In-Beom got transferred for a good price in spite of inconsistent play, the Iraqi and his agent might be accelerating the process to get out of out town asap, so Guttierez might become that starter sooner than we think.

yeah, i'd also like to see him get a regular run of games at LB, but so far he seems pretty middling talent wise.  Not yet convinced he is MLS calibre.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

yeah, i'd also like to see him get a regular run of games at LB, but so far he seems pretty middling talent wise.  Not yet convinced he is MLS calibre.  

He looked a fish out of water in that flank mid position.  IMO, a 4-4-2 with a wide flank mid on the touch line does not suit Adnan's offensive game as an attacking fullback, either.  It takes away the space he can overlap into when he has a more inside player in front of him.  He played much better in the first three games of the year (2 pre, 1 during MiB) with the right footed Milinkovic preferring to cut inside in front of him than he did with the very left footed Teibert (vs Seattle) and now Guttierez in front of him with their heels on the paint.  If 4-4-2 is what it will be, and Adnan doesn't like being the midfield role there, then he's going to be pressing to get out of Vancouver in a big hurry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Parked a bus and gave up one goal in the loss.  The young keeper shows promise.  

That's all. 

"Go Canucks!" is what the Vancouver fanbase is saying right now.

Go Pacific would be better. 

Got ranty in the Liam Fraser thread and should have done it here. Still it's a sham of a club under current ownership. Big reshuffle upstairs but same shite owners not willing or capable to pump the necessary money in the club, put their egos aside to seek out more investment or sell the club to people with ambition.

While MDS may never have been the man he also never had a chance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel So bad for MDS and Cavallini. MDS is expected to win with a garbage Midfield and no real attacking options other than Cavallini who is a really good striker. They have no wingers and midfield. I don’t get it. They have all this money from Davies and  In-beom. It’s a real Joke !!! Go out get two good midfielders and a few wingers. They have a pretty good  back line and good GKs. 
If they want to be cheap, they should talk to montreal and go after Ballou. Maybe a team change is what he needs. Will Johnson doesn’t have a club. Or maybe take a chance on a young player like  Caniggia Elva Who had an great season in 3rd division in Germany  Or they can spend some money and get Eustáquio or maybe Arfield he’s been coming off the bench lately or maybe a Wotherspoon or get all three. Because they need help ! They are horrible 

Also if I was Vancouver I would try hard to get LB/RB Bassong. He’s hasn’t played a game in Belgium but that kids got talent. He looked really good against Iceland and Barbadoes.

Edited by SpecialK
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Big_M said:

the players who are and were there were players dos santos wanted and brought so its all on him..his squad his tactics his coaching..100%..if 9 teams from 12 in the west go to playoffs he has to get them there at the very least of get fired

I thought Axel Schuster was the one calling the shots and brought in most of new players?? Maybe I’m wrong 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nerwinski is an excellent squad full back but not the guy you want to see starting, at least for me. 

The CBs are a collection of gambles on potential. They would have been doing better had they kept Henry IMO and that is a strange thing to say. 

There is just too much gamble on potential and bargain bin signings. Then for all the talk of the having the right characters Reyna is not what you want and Adnan seems like he isnt interested most of the time either.

I think Schuster will be as frustrated in time as MDS is. Whether the latter is capable of turning around the situation and I am sure a dressing room soon to be on the turn, I dont know. Whether he had enough to begin with is also a moot point as he never really had a chance with the recruitment level and money he was given.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, toontownman said:

There is just too much gamble on potential and bargain bin signings. Then for all the talk of the having the right characters Reyna is not what you want and Adnan seems like he isnt interested most of the time either.

They've just seen their lousy team sell off an underachieving DP for more money than they paid for him.  They are going to be more interested in getting outta Dodge in a similar fashion than be committed to the team cause.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big_M said:

schuster joined in late 2019 and after that there was a transition period and even with that dos santos is the type that signings wont be made without his approval so for sure all those signings in early 2020 was on him..and the dp failures..inbeom and even adnan I wouldnt have him as dp

They've failed at their DPs consistently.  They don't buy difference makers, they buy TAM level players.  Adnan was a good loan, but it always felt like they only bought him because the season was unraveling both on the field and off of it and they panic bought him because they didn't now what else to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

They've just seen their lousy team sell off an underachieving DP for more money than they paid for him.  They are going to be more interested in getting outta Dodge in a similar fashion than be committed to the team cause.  

It's one thing to get out from underachieving DPs and uncommitted players.  It's another to recruit quality players to replace them, and a DP who's actually a difference maker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It's one thing to get out from underachieving DPs and uncommitted players.  It's another to recruit quality players to replace them, and a DP who's actually a difference maker.

That is the sticking point. If they could recruit better they wouldn't have these issues with underperforming DPs. I have zero confidence in the recruiting process. There is hope with Schuster but after another preseason clear the decks the team doesn't seem further forward but further behind.  Lots of the problems is the rest of the league pulling forward where caps front office has stood still at best.

Also if the likes of Adnan and Reyna want out they aren't going to get a better career move playing the way they have been playing. Still I am sure MDS will be fired before they are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, toontownman said:

 Lots of the problems is the rest of the league pulling forward where caps front office has stood still at best.

Yup.  My contention has been that the front office has boasted most years about this being "their best team ever", and it's not that it's necessarily wrong it's that they've just taken 1 step forward while the rest of the league takes 3 or 4.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Caps best player tonight was Baldisimo. Unreal distribution with both feet 

Based on what I saw this evening, why has this kid not been given more of a chance (notably at MiB)?  And why the rumour about bringing in Kyle Bekker.  

He had to be taken off because cramping but I hope he sees way more minutes.

Was Bair injured?

Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems a little fishy to me.  I looked up the last 3 years of MLS attendance...VWC are down but not that bad (down 2000+), considering you did have a sale of the best player to come their way ever you would expect a dip.  They went from 7 to 9th to 11th last year in MLS, just under 20,000 a game.  For comparison TFC dropped a couple 1000 from 2017 to 2019 as well (25000 last year), and they dropped from 3rd to 5th in the league with a far better team that was winning hardware.  It doesnt really seem like the fanbase is leaving in droves.  Considering CHicago, Dallas, Colorado, columbus were all under 15000 and Impact was only at 16000 a game, they still seem to be in good shape, all things considered.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

This seems a little fishy to me.  I looked up the last 3 years of MLS attendance...VWC are down but not that bad (down 2000+), considering you did have a sale of the best player to come their way ever you would expect a dip.  They went from 7 to 9th to 11th last year in MLS, just under 20,000 a game.  For comparison TFC dropped a couple 1000 from 2017 to 2019 as well (25000 last year), and they dropped from 3rd to 5th in the league with a far better team that was winning hardware.  It doesnt really seem like the fanbase is leaving in droves.  Considering CHicago, Dallas, Colorado, columbus were all under 15000 and Impact was only at 16000 a game, they still seem to be in good shape, all things considered.

 

Yes, but a business owner does not want to put their company up for sale when things in the business look crappy. You sell, ideally, when you've a solid business in place AND you can show the potential for growth. An owner will choose to sell for a host of reasons, in many cases because of ultimately personal reasons.

On that note: Anybody out there want to buy a profitable book publishing company? (Asking for a friend.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...