CCL & CL 2021 structure

In order to increase interest, increase importance, clearer format and push back on the LigaMX MLS alliance. I would like to see a simple adjustment

CCL 

5 Liga MX

5 MLS

1 Caribbean

1 Canadian

Top 4 Concacaf League

Concacaf League

Keep the same but add 2 more CPL teams. 3 total to make an even bracket of 24. 4 semifinalists make CCL

I also wouldn't hate a group stage for CCL in this format. Would create some intense groups but could probably only advance 1 team which I'm not really a fan of

Edited by SpursFlu

But the Caribbean who gets in now win a Caibbean Cup so they have gone thru an additional step. I agree that I would rather put all the Caribbean teams in the Concacaf League but qualifying 5 teams thru CL is awkward. You could qualify 6 Mexican teams to round out direct qualifying but you would probably have to reduce a team from somewhere likely Canada in to CL

Edited by SpursFlu

Here's my short:

Top-8 from the previous year's CCL = Pot #1 of CCL, No seeding

Top-8 from recent CONCACAF League = Pot #2 of CCL, No seeding

If you don't make the top-8, down to CONCACAF League. There should be no guaranteed spots for MEX, CAN, USA, CCC sides. You want Champions League, you earn it.

For the CONCACAF league:

24 teams total.

Preliminary round - 16 Teams with least number of CONCACAF League "points" over the previous 5-seasons. That's right. If a Champions League regular performs poorly and drop out of the top CCL pot, shove'm right into the preliminary round! Make them earn their way back. The Top 8 in one pot, the bottom 8 in a second.

Round of 16 - Winners of Preliminary Round in one pot & top-8 teams based on CONCACAF League points over the previous 5-seasons in a second pot.

I would love to add a CAN3 team, so both the winners of our Spring and Fall CPL seasons could enter CONCACAF League, but there's no room in this setup and I'm not sure we've earned a third spot (yet).

12 hours ago, RJB said:

I’d like to see MLS teams based in Canadian cities qualify for the CCL through their domestic league. I’d like Canada’s berth to be given to a team that plays in Canada. 

Canada will get another spot when they're ready. We need to have a team win CL first. Lets crawl before we walk

3 hours ago, Rintaran said:

Here's my short:

Top-8 from the previous year's CCL = Pot #1 of CCL, No seeding

Top-8 from recent CONCACAF League = Pot #2 of CCL, No seeding

If you don't make the top-8, down to CONCACAF League. There should be no guaranteed spots for MEX, CAN, USA, CCC sides. You want Champions League, you earn it.

For the CONCACAF league:

24 teams total.

Preliminary round - 16 Teams with least number of CONCACAF League "points" over the previous 5-seasons. That's right. If a Champions League regular performs poorly and drop out of the top CCL pot, shove'm right into the preliminary round! Make them earn their way back. The Top 8 in one pot, the bottom 8 in a second.

Round of 16 - Winners of Preliminary Round in one pot & top-8 teams based on CONCACAF League points over the previous 5-seasons in a second pot.

I would love to add a CAN3 team, so both the winners of our Spring and Fall CPL seasons could enter CONCACAF League, but there's no room in this setup and I'm not sure we've earned a third spot (yet).

Oh, well that is problematic because you won't know until early March where you send your teams in June. I think you would have to give it a 1 year-wait, to allow federations to select their champion the right way. 

1 hour ago, deschamp86 said:

Canada will get another spot when they're ready. We need to have a team win CL first. Lets crawl before we walk

Nations that have won CL or CCL:
Mexico
Costa Rica
Honduras

Nations that have 3+ spots in continental play:
Mexico
USA
Costa Rica
Honduras
Panama
El Salvador
Guatemala
Caribbean

So I ask, why would Canada need to outright win CL before getting another spot? Why should we be held to a higher standard than all those nations in bold above?

35 minutes ago, Kent said:

Nations that have won CL or CCL:
Mexico
Costa Rica
Honduras

Nations that have 3+ spots in continental play:
Mexico
USA
Costa Rica
Honduras
Panama
El Salvador
Guatemala
Caribbean

So I ask, why would Canada need to outright win CL before getting another spot? Why should we be held to a higher standard than all those nations in bold above?

The system/format definitely needs some work, but we've had one season. Lets cool our jets a bit here

I actually really like the idea of strenghtening the CL. It's a really good tournament that has a lot of potential. I do think Concacaf has to take in to consideration the power the MLS and LigaMX have in the region when making these decisions

If you look at it the CL is really just an extension of the CCL so im fine with adding a few mx us teams in to the top draw(ccl)I think the 2 random missing spots in CL are just there for Canada but waiting for CPL to get fully up and rolling 

Edited by SpursFlu

• 2 months later...

The 2020 CFU Club Championship (which qualifies one team to the 2021 CONCACAF Champions League & three teams to the 2020 CONCACAF League) kicked off last night.

Waterhouse (Jamaica) 0-0 Cibao (Dominican Republic)

@Kent - Do these games affect your club ranking/index, or is it only CCL/CL games?

7 hours ago, grande said:

The 2020 CFU Club Championship (which qualifies one team to the 2021 CONCACAF Champions League & three teams to the 2020 CONCACAF League) kicked off last night.

Waterhouse (Jamaica) 0-0 Cibao (Dominican Republic)

@Kent - Do these games affect your club ranking/index, or is it only CCL/CL games?

Only CCL/CL games.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Need group stage

Got rid of group stage for a reason. There was lots of meaningless games especially when the format was changed to where only the first team advanced. Plus financial consideration was given to the fact some pretty small teams were stuck with some costly road trips. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 10:46 AM, deschamp86 said:

On 11/26/2019 at 10:46 AM, deschamp86 said:

After tonight's result. You actually need to go back to 2014 for the last time a Costa Rican team made it further in the tournament then the Canadian team. On top of that this is the first year that Canada had more than one entry while Costa Rica has always at least 3.

Vic recently went on record saying after the 2022 year it will likely expand. I could see 24 teams with top 8 getting a bye. Add more US and Mexico.. maybe 6 each. Maybe 2 Canadian, 1 Caribbean. Let the remaining 9 win in from a 24 team Concacaf League. Maybe experiment with group play in Concacaf League first

Edited by SpursFlu

I read this week that CONCACAF offered MLS to run the Champions League in the Fall. But MLS lobbied to have it in the Winter/Spring.

So really MLS only has it self to blame for the poor performance of its team as they are just starting their season while their Latin American opponents are in mid-season form.