Montreal Impact offseason 2019-20

Blackdude

2 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

Piatti is gone 💔

No farewell, no nothing, sad way to go.  I understand he wanted to go home and all that... but he's a professional athlete, most would say the best Impact player ever, you'd expect more.  Best case scenario would've been he stayed until May/June, he'd kick some ass in CCL, he'd get a farewell, and give us a chance at closure.

closure..lol..theres been talks of leaving for a long time and he wanted out for a while with his personal situation..you dont go into the season with a dp whos mind isnt there..good for both sides..will be interesting to see if Montreal brings in an offensive piece right away or waits to see how it goes with these players..theres some good quality already with quioto bojan okwonkwo lassi etc..

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Great servant to the club and wonderful addition to the league. He will be missed. 

The canadian national team dream is over! lol

He told me playing for Canada was never a consideration. Honestly if it was, he’d probably would’ve been in a while ago especially considering Biello is part of the coaching staff. 

13 hours ago, Big_M said:

closure..lol..theres been talks of leaving for a long time and he wanted out for a while with his personal situation..you dont go into the season with a dp whos mind isnt there..good for both sides..will be interesting to see if Montreal brings in an offensive piece right away or waits to see how it goes with these players..theres some good quality already with quioto bojan okwonkwo lassi etc..

Agree.  It was pretty obvious IMFC knew he wasn't gonna be around for the start of the season, and they were just trying to maximise the return.  How else do we explain the crazy depth at the wings going into 2020.

On 2/10/2020 at 11:32 PM, Big_M said:

couldnt be a while ago as you need nationality and 5 years of living continuously in the country..came to Canada august 2014

JT changed the law from 5 to 3 years. If he really wanted to he could’ve have but it was never his intention. 

On 1/25/2020 at 4:43 PM, Moldy9 said:

A coincidence you guys brought up the mafia connection. This report came out on RDI last week. Watched it all (in French only) but here’s a brief synopsis aired on CBC. 

There is much more in the book Mafia Inc.  I read it several years ago and quite frankly, the evidence was overwhelming.    

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/213113/mafia-inc-by-andre-cedilot-and-andre-noel/

It is important to separate the current generation of Saputos from the early days.  There is zero reason to doubt the legitimacy of the current company and family.  It is a public company after all.  

9 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

There is much more in the book Mafia Inc.  I read it several years ago and quite frankly, the evidence was overwhelming.    

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/213113/mafia-inc-by-andre-cedilot-and-andre-noel/

It is important to separate the current generation of Saputos from the early days.  There is zero reason to doubt the legitimacy of the current company and family.  It is a public company after all.  

I don't want to scare anyone, but the current owner of At Ottawa was condemned for corruption some 16 years ago, and his father was a crook as well. For the Gil family, the early days were the 90s. And At Madrid is not a public company.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't want to scare anyone, but the current owner of At Ottawa was condemned for corruption some 16 years ago, and his father was a crook as well. For the Gil family, the early days were the 90s. And At Madrid is not a public company.

Yeah I can remember Jesus Gil y Gil. That guy was insane. 

But to Montreal, is this the season Bush loses his starting spot? Looks like Diop has the edge now...

On 2/12/2020 at 8:22 AM, Moldy9 said:

JT changed the law from 5 to 3 years. If he really wanted to he could’ve have but it was never his intention. 

Dunno, I love Piatti and what he's accomplished, however.... he was never a team player.  Impact is the longest he's ever stayed anywhere.  If I remember correctly, I don't t think he had ever stayed over 2 years with another team and it always ended on bad terms, either with coaches, the team or fans.  A quick google when IMFC got him showed he was hated by many fan sites for his selfishness. He's a pure mercenary.  His earlier career is full of selfish/hogger clips that hurt the teams he played for.  That being said, he would never play for Canada, not enough money involved. 

46 minutes ago, costarg said:

Dunno, I love Piatti and what he's accomplished, however.... he was never a team player.  Impact is the longest he's ever stayed anywhere.  If I remember correctly, I don't t think he had ever stayed over 2 years with another team and it always ended on bad terms, either with coaches, the team or fans.  A quick google when IMFC got him showed he was hated by many fan sites for his selfishness. He's a pure mercenary.  His earlier career is full of selfish/hogger clips that hurt the teams he played for.  That being said, he would never play for Canada, not enough money involved. 

I remember when he first showed up and he was frustrating at times. He held the ball way too long, never passed the ball after dribbling so long and never shot when he had a great chance to just keeping it too long. He got a lot better. He’s way different from now and then. 

As for your other observations, that is quite interesting and it makes some sense why he behaved the way he did. 

Which leads me to this question: does anyone think in soccer that players fake injuries. I’m not talking about diving and getting stretchered off the field and miraculously running as if healed from the Holy Spirit. No I’m saying you claim an “injury” to a part of your body when it’s not that bad. Basically skipping out on work. I’d like to think their doctors can see that but can they really? I ask cause Piatti was injured most of the year with three different injuries. Maybe he was trying to lower his value so that Montreal wouldn’t take his option as no team would give much for an injured player. 

I’m not feeling the magic after their lackluster pre-season. Scoring still seems to be a problem. I’m also not convinced Thiery Henry is the right man either. I really hope I’m wrong but I’m afraid at least until the summer window it will be a really rough go for the team. 

I hope I eat my words but I see an early exit in CCL 0:2 and 0:1 (0:3agg).