• Fanni, Rod
  • Raitala, Jukka
  • Waterman, Joel
  • Yao, Karifa

GOALKEEPERS (3):

• Bush, Evan
  • Diop, Clement
  • Pantemis, James

https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2020/01/16/new-partnership-between-montreal-impact-and-soccer-québec?fbclid=IwAR1yAC5Oa8iEC_l9He8r4WyOF1-jMKA7xCXm9wvcUiPB1ImTzFo4jMHf2Mw

Weird? Why by the rights? Trying to control what might come from later CPL teams?

Isnt that the natural and required mandate of any provincial organization to promote all soccer events, likewise in the impacts best interests to also partner and promote soccer events. 

Likewise its surely the job of the provincial body to be impartial. Can they even sell the marketing rights like this when they are funded by the government and tax payers? 

Might be just the way its worded or way I'm interpreting it? Sounds like impact would own the rights qnd would control whether they support marketing and promote any future CPL team in the province. Its sketchy on details. If that was the case I'm pretty sure CPL/CSA won't be happy about it and would have a right to be.

The footballing side of the deal sounds great. Again something that is in the best interest of everyone and should he happening anyway.

Question for anyone with inside info: I read the Saputo family is the wealthiest family in Quebec and one of the wealthiest in Canada. Can anyone explain why they don’t invest some of that cash in the club? If they wanted to be a competitive club they could easily be one but choose to be frugal with only 2 DPs and nickel and diming except silly instances when it comes to Oduro Mancosu and Camacho. They could be a LA Toronto or Atlanta but don’t. Why have a horse in a race if you just go with a mediocre pedigree. Don’t these people want to win? 

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

They had the #8 team payroll in the league last year a little under atlanta so that not spending and frugal stuff is a myth

Difference is that Atlanta spends huge on transfer fees for certain players. Overall, Atlanta has been the highest-spending team in MLS since joining the league.

The wealthy don't stay wealthy by blowing their money. 

Toronto and LAG (I believe) are owned by corporations and Atlanta have a different situation with the huge stadium and Falcons. Not sure how Authur Blank's wealth compares to Saputo's either.

I also wonder what the ROI is on Atlanta Untied?

I think Montreal's level of spending is fine. They have brought in big players in the past like Drogba and now have Bojan Kirkic, who I think is a pretty big signing as far as MLS is concerned. No need to break the bank on players if you don't have to.

They also have that Thierry Henry guy as coach. Not sure what they are paying him, but he musn't be cheap...

The family is the wealthiest in Quebec, but the team is owned by Joey who is just one of the Saputo's.
Joey has always been passionate about Soccer and is the team's biggest fan.  I don't know of anyone that would rather see the Impact succeed, and not just for the financial windfall.  

Other team owners that are just "running a horse", don't fire coaches with 2 years remaining on contracts.  Thats a huge expense and blown money.  Joey has done this about 3-4 times already.  So spending if it'll improve the team obviously isn't an issue.

The issue is, not all the investments work out (ie: Oduro, Mancosu, Camacho, we can add 10 more to the list).

So he does spend, it just hasn't always worked out.

The other big issue is, Saputo wanted and expected to have more help and participation from local corporations and investors.  Either in sponsorships and/or partnerships.  He wanted to front the cash, build the stadium, bring the team, make a splash, get attention to attract partners, sponsors, fans and get some help from the city.  But in reality, the city is raping him on taxes for a stadium he doesn't even own (Its on leased land), other coprporations aren't interested, local media only focus' on the Canadiens, Quebecers still don't fully embrace everything the Saputos have done for the community or trust all that the Saputos represent.  Recent article in the press is still desperately trying to link the family to mob connections 50-60 years ago (which have been debunked repeatedly).  

Its sad, but I feel the team would've been more successful in the community and media if Saputo wasn't branded on the stadium and if he was just one amongst a group of owners.

1 hour ago, Chad_Impact said:

Okwonkwo is now officially back on loan and ZBG to be announced soon.

We have.....a lot of wingers...

We *almost* have a team put together.  As far as the starting 11 goes, it might be one of the most talented and balanced ever.  However, loads of questions remain:

- We have loads of wingers who can score, but no real proven #9: Urutti, AJH and Quiotto?

- No depth on D and CM.

- Neither of Bush or Diop should be considered starting keepers

- The players have spent very little time together.  Urutti, Bojan, Piatti, Lappi have spent very little time playing together.  It'll take time for this to work.

-------------------Quiotto

Piatti - Bojan - Taider - Okwonkwo

--------------------Piette

Raitalla - Fanni - Camacho - ZBG

On 1/23/2020 at 11:23 AM, costarg said:

The family is the wealthiest in Quebec, but the team is owned by Joey who is just one of the Saputo's.
Joey has always been passionate about Soccer and is the team's biggest fan.  I don't know of anyone that would rather see the Impact succeed, and not just for the financial windfall.  

Other team owners that are just "running a horse", don't fire coaches with 2 years remaining on contracts.  Thats a huge expense and blown money.  Joey has done this about 3-4 times already.  So spending if it'll improve the team obviously isn't an issue.

The issue is, not all the investments work out (ie: Oduro, Mancosu, Camacho, we can add 10 more to the list).

So he does spend, it just hasn't always worked out.

The other big issue is, Saputo wanted and expected to have more help and participation from local corporations and investors.  Either in sponsorships and/or partnerships.  He wanted to front the cash, build the stadium, bring the team, make a splash, get attention to attract partners, sponsors, fans and get some help from the city.  But in reality, the city is raping him on taxes for a stadium he doesn't even own (Its on leased land), other coprporations aren't interested, local media only focus' on the Canadiens, Quebecers still don't fully embrace everything the Saputos have done for the community or trust all that the Saputos represent.  Recent article in the press is still desperately trying to link the family to mob connections 50-60 years ago (which have been debunked repeatedly).  

Its sad, but I feel the team would've been more successful in the community and media if Saputo wasn't branded on the stadium and if he was just one amongst a group of owners.

Well of course still a bit of that suspicion still here in Canada and this is prove that this still exists, where any family with Italian roots that has made it big financially  must have some connection to the mob. It’s disgraceful that the Saputos after so many years still have to put up with these suspicions, disgraceful really!

Zachary Brault-Guillard joins Montreal Impact via transfer from Olympique Lyonnais

2020 Montreal Impact Roster as of January 25, 2020:

HEAD COACH: Thierry Henry

FORWARDS (3):

• Jackson-Hamel, Anthony
  • Quioto, Romell
  • Urruti, Maxi

MIDFIELDERS (11):

• Bahiya, Clement
  • Bojan
  • Choiniere, Mathieu
  • Lappalainen, Lassi
  • Okwonkwo, Orji
  • Piatti, Ignacio
  • Piette, Samuel
  • Sejdic, Amar
  • Shome, Shamit
  • Tabla, Ballou
  • Taider, Saphir

DEFENDERS (7):

• Brault-Guillard, Zachary
  • Camacho, Rudy
  • Corrales, Jorge
  • Fanni, Rod
  • Raitala, Jukka
  • Waterman, Joel
  • Yao, Karifa

GOALKEEPERS (3):

• Bush, Evan
  • Diop, Clement
  • Pantemis, James

Just saw this interview with Bojan taken a few weeks ago. I really like this Bojan. He seems like a really down to earth, humble guy. At the recent 2020 Launch party in Montreal he looked like one of the more comfortable and easy going players on stage with the fans.

And a clip on his background 

If this is 100% confirmed then I say thanks for your service but don’t let the door hit you on the way out. 

This drama could’ve been handled a lot better especially by Nacho. As much as I am grateful to have had him play for Montreal the way this saga ended is not really befitting the best player in its history. All the BS about wanting to stay after he won the Voyageurs Cup and then the club picks up his option and then he runs away skipping out at the annual post mortem which he claimed he did not know.... yeah right. Then this nonsense of coming back for pre-season while rumours circulated and him not addressing it, putting up a sharade to the fans. 

Again for the best player in history this was not done well by him and the club, and the fans get a bad taste in their mouth rather than giving their man a proper send off. 

I met Nacho. Really nice guy and cool to chill with. His heart wasn’t really there the last 2 years and was already in Argentina. Just BS how he misled the fans.