FIFA/CONCACAF stadium requirements to host the #CanMNT

With the possibility of friendlies in March and June coupled with the strong possibility of playing minnows in September/October and November, there is plenty of talk about letting other cities (besides Vancouver and Toronto) hosts the #CanMNT.

However, I have yet to hear anybody clearly list which CanPL (or other ) stadiums fulfill FIFA and CONCACAF guidelines and which did not.

This is especially true for WCQs in September October or November next year.

http://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/regulations-fifa-world-cup-2022tm-preliminary-competition.pdf?cloudid=r6gcejmanhw27gzaa9xb

http://www.scribd.com/doc/100501692/FIFA-Football-Stadiums-Technical-recommendation-and-requirements-5th-edition

http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/51/53/98/safetyregulations_e.pdf

So, which stadiums actually fulfill CONCACAF's requirements? Not just the pitch but the infrastructure of the place itself. Of course, a grass surface is better.

Does Wanderers Ground in Halifax fulfill the technical requirements? How about ATCO field in Calgary?

Most would agree that a sellout of 5200 or so fans in Calgary is preferable to 6500 fans in an empty-looking BMO Field in Toronto for a minnow. The rest of the country should have the chance to see the team; but the point is moot if those stadiums can't host because they are not up to par....

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

51 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Are the requirements 20 or 30 years ago, the same as they are now?

Does http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_George_V_Park still meet the FIFA/ CONCACAF requirements? 

King George had a new turf laid down recently as well. Pretty sure I heard Gord Dunphy say mention it during his commentary of the National Challenge Cup game between Cross and Scottish.

As an aside, considering some of the other venues, Kgv would not be out of place as a CPL stadium.

In addition to a fresh turf, there are bleachers on 3 sides able to seat 6,000, there's a functioning score board and even flood lights, which is something Cavalry doesn't even have. It would take minimal investment.

The irony is that proper stadia is the hurdle for so many potential markets, but this one (with a history) is just waiting in the wings...

If anyone wants to see king george, just go on the Canada Soccer YouTube channel. All the games from Nationals are still up.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

We have all seen the cricket pitches/cow pastures in CONCACAF, or the baseball fields in MLS.  And if we can play games on the "grass" in Vancouver, I'm sure we could lay some green shag on a parking lot in the east end of WPG and it would pass.  

The baseball fields in MLS haven't been used for World Cup qualifiers so it's a moot point, but we're also talking about Yankee Stadium and Citi Field (not some random public parks where dogs shit in the outfield grass) so it's not like the venues themselves are terrible. They just look bad for soccer because they are the wrong shape and the entire soccer playing surface isn't permanent grass.

Same thing with many of the cricket pitches in the Caribbean. They are considered top class in their sport but look (and sometimes play) awful for soccer.

The real "cow pastures" have mostly been phased out — CONCACAF didn't allow Cuba to use their national stadium in Nations League because of the lack of proper lights (the same issue ATCO Field would have), but the playing surface is also one of the worst I've ever seen at an international level. Most venues at that level are gone these days.

As for potential venues in Canada, I feel we should be beyond temporary stands around a pitch in this country. King George V was great for the time, but it's woefully substandard compared to what's available right now in Canada.

If Halifax can get something a bit more permanent (or even permanent looking, with proper changerooms, restrooms and media facilities), it'd be a perfect spot for games against smaller nations that won't draw flies elsewhere. The CSA should be rewarding cities that have spent resources on building proper infrastructure, IMO.

13 hours ago, RS said:

As for potential venues in Canada, I feel we should be beyond temporary stands around a pitch in this country. King George V was great for the time, but it's woefully substandard compared to what's available right now in Canada.

If Halifax can get something a bit more permanent (or even permanent looking, with proper changerooms, restrooms and media facilities), it'd be a perfect spot for games against smaller nations that won't draw flies elsewhere. The CSA should be rewarding cities that have spent resources on building proper infrastructure, IMO.

Halifax is getting a CFL stadium soon, correct ?  Would that fix that  problem ? Also is the CPL team going to move to the new  stadium ?? 

14 hours ago, RS said:

The stands are actually not temporary at King George. They haven't been moved since they've been laid down in 2006, so that would qualify as a permanent setup, but they are bleachers so I know what you mean. You want a permanent look.

ATCO field looks the part, but like Wanderers Ground it is a modular stadium.

If we are looking for a smaller venue that looks permanent and is permanent, I think there is only 1 stadium and that's Westhills. If you can look past the turf, that is!

Edited by Obinna

3 hours ago, MtlMario said:

The CFL deal is not done yet (unfortunately) and the Wanderers said a couple of times they would not play there.

I wonder why they won’t play there ?  More seats more people more money ? It’s also better for the league. Didn’t Halifax sellout almost every game? 

I hope the CPL owners and league are thinking big with the league. 

Edited by SpecialK

11 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

I wonder why they won’t play there ?  More seats more people more money ? It’s also better for the league. Didn’t Halifax sellout almost every game? 

I hope the CPL owners and league are thinking big with the league. 

It's going to be a 24,000 seat stadium in Dartmouth. Hard no.

They should just build a permanent 8-10k stadium at Wanderer grounds. The end.

Edited by Obinna

8 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

1. The stadium is too big for CanPL needs right now. A half-empty stadium creates a bad atmosphere in stadium and makes the league look bad on broadcasts and in video clips. Much better to fill a stadium that is slightly too small and build demand and urgency.
  2. It is in the wrong location. Soccer stadiums generally sell tickets better if they are located in the downtown area. Suburban locations are especially hard to deal with for weeknight games.

You guys and girls don’t think Halifax can get 10-18 thousand for a soccer game? Also the stadium/cfl team won’t be playing until 2021. So that gives 2 more years to really grown the CPL. Also if the CPL was smart they would try to get a team in Moncton ( already has a stadium ) so the there is a  maritime  rivalry. 

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

You guys and girls don’t think Halifax can get 10-18 thousand for a soccer game? Also the stadium/cfl team won’t be playing until 2021.

Not by 2021 and certainly not if they are playing in Dartmouth.

Hand-egg fans are willing to drive to suburban stadiums because the game is 3+ hours long and they can tailgate beforehand to make a day of it. Soccer is a more like a movie, play, or concert where you meet up with friends at a bar, go to the game/show/gig and then either go home or head to the bar to keep the party going.

This is, BTW one of the big reasons why I have been arguing against mid-day games on weekends here in Victoria. A soccer game is NOT a big enough deal for casual fans to spend the entire day doing it. People out here want to be outside doing things on a sunny afternoon. Hiking, gardening, kayaking, cycling, sailing, spending time at the beach but a game kicking of at 12:30 or even 3:00 (two standard times PFC chose this last summer) means you cannot do both. Kicking off at 5:00 pm or later means people can do their things and still come to the game.