CONCACAF U20 2020

MM3/MM2/MM

Canada's draw and format.  Canada, Mexico, El Salvador, Aruba, top 3 advance to round of 16 eliminations, 4 semi-finalists go to World Cup

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/11/20/united-states-and-canada-learn-world-cup-qualifying-path-2020-concacaf-u-20

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

• 8 months later...

I made what I think an XI could look like. I'm basing it heavily on players I think will have made professional appearances. Defense is quite hard to figure out which is wht the CB pairing is two CPL players who will probably have made pro appearances in Facchineri and Luke Green.

MF and FW are stacked though. The likes of Corbeanu, Illiadis, Colyn, Pecile, Altobelli, Pepple, Attardo. Lots to get excited about.

4 hours ago, VinceA said:

I made what I think an XI could look like. I'm basing it heavily on players I think will have made professional appearances. Defense is quite hard to figure out which is wht the CB pairing is two CPL players who will probably have made pro appearances in Facchineri and Luke Green.

MF and FW are stacked though. The likes of Corbeanu, Illiadis, Colyn, Pecile, Altobelli, Pepple, Attardo. Lots to get excited about.

I’d add Corbeanu

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

My starting XI If all duals signed on/could get citizenship. 
with that top 4 we should be able to qualify for the U20 World Cup. 

D681724B-78CB-4658-8200-A741D18DBA90.jpeg

Considering Halley's crazy form for Y9 he should be starting. Also Velado-Tsegaye has shout too. I'll always give the nod to a fully professional player rather than an academy player. I like Cobeanu and he should be on the team but he shouldn't be starting unless he starts playing pro before the tournament. Also Mitrovic should be a starter too.

31 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Mitrovic should be a starter.  Young is a good call.  He was impressive in PEI.  Who is Iamarino and where does he play?  And White is Nicholas White?

Ya Nicholas white , he’s with Vancouver now. Also he can play both LB and CB. Iamarino is playing in Italy, went through the Orlando academy. Is eligible for the United States Canada and Italy. There’s also some question that he may have left the team that he was part of. In my list of players Mitrovic is there on the roster for sure. Dias 17 playing mins on U23 of one of biggest teams in Portugal. This kids must be special. 

there is not a lot of options for Canada at the 2001 age group. A lot of 16-17 year olds .

There is also Daniel Jebbison at Sheffield United (2003, may be a little young) and Roen Fordyce-Hlwyka at Sandhausen who apparently led the U19 Bundisliga 2 in scoring.  But I agree with SpecialK, from what I have heard and read, lots of 16-17 year olds.  Marshall-Rutty may get a look as he's already compared to Giovanni Reyna by the MLS pundits.

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Osaze De Rosario is another potential player.

I played a pick up game with him and his dad a few weeks ago. He left NYCFC and is now back with TFCII.
He's definitely one to look out for.

I just think trying to predict the U20 roster muchless lineup is a crapshoot. There will always be guys who end up on the team who you've never heard of. Or there will be guys who would make you go "hmmmm...really?" 

We simply don't have enough identifying camps for the talent we have at our disposal. 

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

If he's called to camp and he's the best player for the job, then why shouldn't he play?

That is true but I feel like the lack of actual professional in game experiences (Plus Gale's coaching) is what often did us in when we'd come up against central American teams whose players were already playing pro, even if it wasn't the highest level.

10 hours ago, VinceA said:

That is true but I feel like the lack of actual professional in game experiences (Plus Gale's coaching) is what often did us in when we'd come up against central American teams whose players were already playing pro, even if it wasn't the highest level.

Tbh, I don't know whether the Premier League 2 is of a higher standard to first tier in Serbia or the like or not.  I would have thought its a pretty high standard so simplistically stating a full professional league is better than the reserve league to the premiership is debatable.

2 hours ago, An Observer said:

Tbh, I don't know whether the Premier League 2 is of a higher standard to first tier in Serbia or the like or not.  I would have thought its a pretty high standard so simplistically stating a full professional league is better than the reserve league to the premiership is debatable.

I watch extended highlights of several Liverpool PL2 matches per season and can say that many appear to be as good technically as most MLS matches I've seen, but don't have the same intensity. Liam Millar tends to exhibit more intensity than most others in those matches all the same. Personally, I don't doubt that Liam would be a starting player on most MLS teams I've seen play this season. I can't speak intelligently on the standard of the Serbian or Bulgarian leagues, though.

15 hours ago, Colliedor said:

That's kinda odd, wasn't he scoring goals for NYC during their preseason? Kinda shocked they would let him go.

Well he would have been free to leave. I'm sure them not offering him a contract after that and COVID factored into the decision.

Not convinced that TFC is the best choice for him either though.

There was a Liverpool u23 player - Brooks Lennon- who went straight to MLS when his contract expired. Since 2017 he's had over 100 appearances across 2 teams in MLS.  imo a lot of PL2 players end up at a decent level so we shouldn't take something away from Theo (or Liam) because they still are class players