TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

6 hours ago, Nick P said:

Thank you for everything Greg Vanney!
1 mls cup title
1 Supporters Shield
Champions League runner up
Multiple Canadian Championships

Yes and also (what doesnt ever get mentioned) his teams played an attractive brand of soccer.  Not like the kick and run coaches of the whitecap with their “safety first” mantra.  Or the passive counter attacking Impact who need a mistake from the opposition to have any chnace to win.  Vanney’s teams tried to control the game.  They wanted the ball and tried to control ball possession.  They always played the ball out from the back,  if the defender was pressured of if there was a fifty fify ball, they would still play it to the open man even if he was only partially open.  They played to control the midfield through patiently probing and switching to create opportunities.  It was the style of soccer that i like.  

the next coach might not favour that kind of game.  The next coach might give less opportunities to Canadian.

Edit:  LA Galaxy have a head coaching vacancy.  He played for them.  He is from California.  I suspect that is where he is headed.

Edited by Free kick

Well I will  be sorry to see him go. Despite the occasional nepotism and more recently, relying on players who are past it (or have never actually been good enough), the pluses he brought to the team over the past 7 years far outweighed the negative. Plus you never know if we might get a new coach that brings far more in the way of frustrations than we ever go with Vanney (which in themselves, were far fewer than the revolving door of coaches before that such as Mo Johnston, John Carver, that idiot Paul Mariner and Preki who were all lousy in comparison, even if in different ways).

I wonder if the other changes is that Bradley will suddenly retire and replace Vanney as coach? I see that as more likely than Bradley going to Vancouver. I haven't see or ready any of the media coverage yet, and won't for a while given the Forge match is about to start.

MLS just churns out these self serving articles.  Either its a retread MLS guy like Olsen or its the "Pochitino doesnt rule out a MLS move" or "Rafa says TFC may be in his future" stories that they seem to spit out ad nuseum.  They should and prob will put just as much thought and effort into this as they did picking the last few DP's.  

Ben Olsen was actually the first name that popped into my head as to a replacement (ducks).  I'd like to see what the guy does with some talent.  Plus, as Big M noted above, he is not afraid to play the youngsters.

I'd rather see a retread NA coach than some supposed great European coach (Winter, Johnston, Carver, Mariner, DeBoer, Gullitt) that doesn't know the league.

South/Central American coaches also seem to have more success here than European ones.

4 hours ago, Ivan said:

Ben Olsen was actually the first name that popped into my head as to a replacement (ducks).  I'd like to see what the guy does with some talent.  Plus, as Big M noted above, he is not afraid to play the youngsters.

I'd rather see a retread NA coach than some supposed great European coach (Winter, Johnston, Carver, Mariner, DeBoer, Gullitt) that doesn't know the league.

South/Central American coaches also seem to have more success here than European ones.

A South American coach who is willing to take a chance on young or late blooming Cancon?  Hmmm....   

1 hour ago, gator said:

How about Octavio Zambrano?

He’s done as a coach.

I asked why Zambrano was fired, Rollins didn’t tell me the reason but he confirmed it was a good one and that they didn’t have a chance but to fire him. I’m guessing the misappropriation of funds rumour is true.

2 hours ago, gator said:

Yes, I think he would be a good shout, I didn't realize so many MLS teams were looking for managers with maybe more to follow!

Not enough.. *cough* Caps *cough*

Was going to say the Viera connection with Curtis might make him a shoe in, however, wrong New Yorks. I hate getting managers on downs like Garde and Henry. That said, who doesn't like the idea of Henry vs Viera next season. Viera has worked a lot with youth so he should certainly be on the shortlist. The name factor is always a TFC crutch .

13 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Not enough.. *cough* Caps *cough*

Was going to say the Viera connection with Curtis might make him a shoe in, however, wrong New Yorks. I hate getting managers on downs like Garde and Henry. That said, who doesn't like the idea of Henry vs Viera next season. Viera has worked a lot with youth so he should certainly be on the shortlist. The name factor is always a TFC crutch .

Depending on the situation, I consider it like buying a stock on a seasonal low. Viera checks a lot of boxes, namely he's a big name and has MLS experience.

My concern would be that he may consider Toronto as just a "stop" in his coaching journey.

It may not be realistic, but I want a coach who would be willing to put 5 years into this team, and I don't see Viera doing that. Two years? Sure. Three years? Maybe. Four years? Highly unlikely.

I'm all for consistency  for the manager within reason, 5 years is a long time nowadays, Vanney had a good run but I think it was time for him and the club to move on! This won't be a popular view but I believe Winter if given the time and budget may have got the team playing some attractive winning football! MLS is a weird league with all of its cap rules, the disparity between the DP's and the low end players who must fit in the puzzle and travel just to name a few things, not every manager can adapt!

20 hours ago, gator said:

I'm all for consistency  for the manager within reason, 5 years is a long time nowadays, Vanney had a good run but I think it was time for him and the club to move on! This won't be a popular view but I believe Winter if given the time and budget may have got the team playing some attractive winning football! MLS is a weird league with all of its cap rules, the disparity between the DP's and the low end players who must fit in the puzzle and travel just to name a few things, not every manager can adapt!

What has Winter done since he left TFC? If he had gone on to have a decent coaching career I would have probably said yes to that, but Winter like all the coaches that coached TFC before Vanney have never gone on to have any kind of success managing anywhere else . I think the only one was Preki who went on to have some success coaching in the USL if I’m not mistaken. Actually Preki had success with Sacramento of the USL winning a championship, and now seems to be doing well as an assistant coach with the Seattle Sounders , so he is the only coach before Vanney that has had some success after TFC it seems .

Edited by SoccMan

TFC needs to spend some time deciding who will replace Vanney. While I was critical of his never ending faith in tried and true veterans (and some of his decisions), you can’t deny the overall success he had after a decade of absolute shite.  They need to take their time and find someone with a proven track record that can jump in and keep this team near the top.  Need to find a Tata not a Frank.  And having names like Bent or Dichio put forward is absolute garbage.  No offence to either gentleman but this team will have one of the highest salary payrolls in the league for years to come and this is not where you learn the ropes.  We need to be one of the big 6 of MLS and the coach we hire needs to reflect that.