TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

41 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

I don't understand your comment.  If anything, this reinforces the "Team America" idea.  Unless I'm misinterpreting what you are saying.

I meant TFC needs to stop being "team America" and play/give opportunities to young players who happen to be Canadians as Pozuelo said. 

6 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I don't understand your comment.  If anything, this reinforces the "Team America" idea.  Unless I'm misinterpreting what you are saying.

i think he posted the wrong quote. pozuelo was praising liam fraser, nelson and ayo and said they would play more. 

TFC had an incredible 2017 and part of 2018 when they came within a penalty shootout from winning the Champions league. In 2019 had a so so regular season and lost in the MLS cup final , also had a good 2016 season making it to the MLS Cup final. Hosting two MLS Cup finals at home 2016 and 2017 because of having the most points in the regular season between  the last two teams standing themselves and Seattle both seasons . However, compared to the LA Galaxy dynasty teams back in the day and the present day Seattle Sounders who have won two MLS in the last four years and are on track to win their third in fours years TFC had been good but not dynasty material like the above mentioned teams. It’s time for them to start playing the younger players more and from watching some of these youngsters what a nice bunch of young players they have. Priso, Nelson, Marshal Rutty, Dunn , Okello , Peruzza  there is a lot of promise there and if they can get most of these guys going then what an exciting time this can be for TFC and Canadian soccer in general . Pozuelo has been at the highest level and I think has a good understanding of talent , therefore,   for him to say what he said he knows that these young players have talent and has no problem saying that he thinks these players should start playing more , he has faith in them or else he would not be saying what he said .

Edited by SoccMan

According to this article:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/11/05/mls-contract-options-whos-staying-and-whos-going-entering-2021-offseason

UNDER CONTRACT (21): Jozy Altidore, Auro, Alex Bono, Michael Bradley, Marky Delgado, Griffin Dorsey, Erickson Gallardo,  Omar Gonzalez, Richie Laryea, Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty, Chris Mavinga, Jayden Nelson, Noble Okello, Jonathan Osorio, Jordan Perruzza, Alejandro Pozuelo, Ralph Priso, Rocco Romeo, Jacob Shaffelburg, Patrick Mullins, Quentin Westberg
OUT OF CONTRACT (3): Laurent Ciman, Justin Morrow, Eriq Zavaleta
CONTRACT OPTIONS EXERCISED (7): Ifunanyachi Achara, Ayo Akinola, Julian Dunn, Nick DeLeon, Tsubasa Endoh, Liam Fraser, Kevin Silva 
CONTRACT OPTIONS NOT EXERCISED (1): Pablo Piatti
LOAN EXPIRATION (1): Tony Gallacher

Someone up thread really got my hopes up by saying Gallardo was no longer under contract after this season but that doesn't appear to be the case. Losing Piatti and re-gaining Gallardo (and Endoh) is not an upgrade. They have another open DP slot of course to make an upgrade with. On the flipside, hopefully the retaining of Dunn's contract and the 3 defenders who are out of contract is a sign that Dunn will get some actual playing time with the 1st team next season

yea...I thought Mullins, Bono, and Gallardo we're both out of contract. I'll assume their contracts are up in the summer as they signed or re-upped in the summer (same with Omar Gonzalez). I could be heavily wrong though.

All I know is TFC's midfield is at jam logged with Bradley, Osorio, Delgado, Fraser, Okello, and Priso. 

Roster Breakdown as is:

GK: Westberg, Bono, Silva
Fullbacks: Laryea, Auro
CB: Mavinga, Gonzalez, Dunn, Romeo
CDM: Bradley, Fraser, Priso
CM: Osorio, Delgado, Pozuelo, Okello.
W: Gallardo, Nelson, Marshall-Rutty, Shaffelburg, Dorsey
ST: Altidore, Akinola, Achara, Peruzza, Mullins 

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

yea...I thought Mullins, Bono, and Gallardo we're both out of contract. I'll assume their contracts are up in the summer as they signed or re-upped in the summer (same with Omar Gonzalez). I could be heavily wrong though.

All I know is TFC's midfield is at jam logged with Bradley, Osorio, Delgado, Fraser, Okello, and Priso. 

Roster Breakdown as is:

GK: Westberg, Bono, Silva
Fullbacks: Laryea, Auro
CB: Mavinga, Gonzalez, Dunn, Romeo
CDM: Bradley, Fraser, Priso
CM: Osorio, Delgado, Pozuelo, Okello.
W: Gallardo, Nelson, Marshall-Rutty, Shaffelburg, Dorsey
ST: Altidore, Akinola, Achara, Peruzza, Mullins 

Hopefully they trade mullens and send Gallardo back to Venezuela for a bag of chips. 

In a perfect world Bradley and Jozy were both sent packing but I doubt either of them will be. 

I would like to see Piatti back on a smaller salary and a U23 DP left winger who can also play up top. 

12 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Hopefully they trade mullens and send Gallardo back to Venezuela for a bag of chips. 

In a perfect world Bradley and Jozy were both sent packing but I doubt either of them will be. 

I would like to see Piatti back on a smaller salary and a U23 DP left winger who can also play up top. 

I would actually like to see Bradley stay but in a reduced role. He still is a strong leader and I think his leadership has been a big part of Toronto's success over the past years.

9 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I would actually like to see Bradley stay but in a reduced role. He still is a strong leader and I think his leadership has been a big part of Toronto's success over the past years.

I agree as long as he is not an automatic starter to play 90 minutes, as long as Vanney is there I don't expect that to change!

Like I mentioned in the Liam Fraser thread, I have mixed feelings about this. Sometimes it felt like TFC were a massive success in spite of Vanney, while other times it felt we had a top-3 MLS coach, especially seeing how he lead Toronto to the 2018 CCL final. He could have also done a better job promoting more youth players through the ranks, but overall he will go down as a legendary coach for this club, and rightly so. 

I too wonder if the Galaxy vacancy played a role, not to mention the home-away-from-home situation the club had to deal with. There are no signs yet that will change in 2021 and perhaps that may have been just enough to push him out the door. I understand his contract was up and they were negotiating as recently as October, but wasn't that around the time when news dropped that the Raptors would need to play on the road next season? Anyways, it's hard for me to imagine having to potentially be away from home all season (again) was a non-factor. 

Edited by Obinna

36 minutes ago, gator said:

Hands off Bobby Smyrniotis!😀

Imagine that happening ahead of the V-Cup! 

To be fair I wouldn't be against it. Might be more of a gamble than TFC are prepared for though. I imagine they will go for an experienced MLS coach but who knows?

This is definitely a potential 'better the devil you know' situation. As much as I like to rag on Vanney and I never really warmed to him, you can't argue with his record and it was yo yo coaches before he came along and they had consistency. 

It is hard to predict manager appointments in MLS and even bigger names from outside the league generally don't find huge success. 

Exciting times fro TFC. It will be a very interesting transition all things considered. There's a lot of continuity in the squad so it will be interesting to see how the new coach manages that. I assume he will come in and will definitely change the focus, change the dependancies from the regular guys.  

9 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Imagine that happening ahead of the V-Cup! 

To be fair I wouldn't be against it. Might be more of a gamble than TFC are prepared for though. I imagine they will go for an experienced MLS coach but who knows?

This is definitely a potential 'better the devil you know' situation. As much as I like to rag on Vanney and I never really warmed to him, you can't argue with his record and it was yo yo coaches before he came along and they had consistency. 

It is hard to predict manager appointments in MLS and even bigger names from outside the league generally don't find huge success. 

I personally think Bobby would be a great choice for TFC but my views are clouded by my Red and White glasses, I don't think the TFC fanbase would have the patience for a partial rebuild and the blooding of many talented but young and inexperienced Canadians!