TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

1 minute ago, Cheeta said:

Tough night, some days go like that.  Nashville earned it to be sure but I'm quite sure everyone at TFC would love to have another go at Nashville.  Pity they didn't show up on the night.

2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Philly look just as flat at home (and legitimately at home with fans in the stands and everything) as TFC as they are down big time to NE. Starting to think it’s not a coincidence

I am fairly confident that after a couple of years, the two leg play off matches will be reinstated.  

Just now, Club Linesman said:

Go Lille!  

Crappy ending to an interesting season.  Some of the older guys need to be in reduced roles next year or gone.

Squad looked tired and I am not sure it was just the circumstances of this season. 

This, it’s bittersweet....but a welcomed wake up call, when the team relies heavily on Pozeulo.

Omar Molasses Gomez is past it, and is too easily susceptible to one ball beats all especially when they play a press and high line. Replacement = into the market.

Bradley is a general, but like generals they have to pass it on to the next man up. He’s slow, needs too much time on the ball, and is defensive liability at times.  Replacement = Osorio, and give Priso more minutes.

Jozy is another guy past it. His Hulking body is finally not making his game efficient, whenever he’s healthy. Replacement = Akinola, but they will go into the market.

Ultimately TFC have a lot of budget clearing up with some guys who are past their best, Morrow, Ciman, Mullins, Zavaleta, and Bono all on “big” money and contracts are up or they are free agents.

With the homegrown talent emerging, I’m very interested how Ali shapes this team next year.

1 minute ago, Shway said:

This, it’s bittersweet....but a welcomed wake up call, when the team relies heavily on Pozeulo.

Omar Molasses Gomez is past it, and is too easily susceptible to one ball beats all especially when they play a press and high line. Replacement = into the market.

Bradley is a general, but like generals they have to pass it on to the next man up. He’s slow, needs too much time on the ball, and is defensive liability at times.  Replacement = Osorio, and give Priso more minutes.

Jozy is another guy past it. His Hulking body is finally not making his game efficient, whenever he’s healthy. Replacement = Akinola, but they will go into the market.

Ultimately TFC have a lot of budget clearing up with some guys who are past their best, Morrow, Ciman, Mullins, Zavaleta, and Bono all on “big” money and contracts are up or they are free agents.

With the homegrown talent emerging, I’m very interested how Ali shapes this team next year.

This is absolutely time for a reset and rebuild.  There is a lot of cap space to be freed up, but there are also a whole lotta gaps to fill if they cut those guys loose.  Would be interesting to see what kind of opportunity that would create for some of the best young players coming through.  No idea if they would go that route though, or if they will look for experienced journeymen (or maybe they don’t even blow it up and think one or two tweaks would be sufficient).  

7 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Vanney got a whole bunch wrong tonight (some of which Caldwell pointed out) but there was no tempo or pace the whole game. It didn’t even feel like it was a playoff game

But they’ve beeeeeen playing like that in Hartford. They’ve literally just been lucky in the games that they won. It was the Laryea special, or Pozuelos magic .....the special came out, but wasn’t given....and Poz didn’t have the wand at all today to produce any magic- worst I’ve ever seen him play in a TFC jersey. 

15 minutes ago, Shway said:

His hulking body also likely contributes to the fact that he is so rarely healthy. 

16 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I am fairly confident that after a couple of years, the two leg play off matches will be reinstated.  

I am not so sure, but it isn’t looking great that the two teams who got a bye with nearly 3 weeks off came out flat in the playoffs against the teams who won the play in who had sharpness and momentum on their side.

Not sure how to tell Nashville and Columbus apart uniform-wise, exact same colours

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Oh and we don’t need to see Endoh or Gallardo back

Gallardo, 1000% is gone (contract is up). Endoh is great value but is an international, and his minutes can be given to Nelson, Shaffelburg, or Rutty...I won't be surprised if he's still there though.

3 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I am not so sure, but it isn’t looking great that the two teams who got a bye with nearly 3 weeks off came out flat in the playoffs against the teams who won the play in who had sharpness and momentum on their side.

Not sure how to tell Nashville and Columbus apart uniform-wise, exact same colours

I can envision Nashville making it to the finals playing the way that they do.  And equally,  i can see them missing the playoffs next year.  Thats what i hate about single game playoffs.  

Here's my guess for roster decisions:

Under Contract (17)
Bradley, Altidore, Gonzalez, Mavinga, Piatti, Pozuello, Delgado, Osorio, Marshall-Rutty, Nelson, Peruzza, Silva, Priso, Achara, DeLeon, Westberg, Laryea

Out of Contract/Free Agent (4 - don't see them coming back)
Bono, Mullins, Ciman, Gallardo

Out of Contract/Free Agent - see them possibly coming back, on re-worked deals (3)
Morrow, Zavaleta (let's see if Vanney has his way), Gallacher (loan extension) 

Options Exercised (3)
Okello, Auro, Dunn, Shaffelburg

Options Not-Excercised (4)
Dorsey, Endoh, Romeo, Fraser

Reality is a rebuild is not possible based on the amount of guys who are "core" pieces and are still under contract. I don't see any contracts being waived also. Restructuring/managing will be Vanney's greatest task to date. However just under a million dollars will be available in salary with expiring contracts, or reworked contracts.

The surprise I think will be that Fraser is gone this year. Unless Okello is sold on return from his loan (which I doubt) and the emergence of Priso will solidify that decision. If not they're will be a crazy backlog of centre midfielders on a team that needs more spots for proven wingers.

*Guys in red is the 12 guys who I think TFC will protect for the 2020 Expansion draft. 

Edited by Shway