TFC 2020 Season

Big_M

Is Mohammed even registered for the first team? This was the issue with Peruzza signing. He cant be used this season. Likewise maybe Dunn? Dunn does at least appear on the TFC roster page. It seems hard to find the official registered roster anywhere.

I don't have a huge problem with this signing. Mohammed didn't impress with the Eddie's. It keeps Ritchie on the right rather than flip flopping, although they know he can play there at a push. This is a point where the academy doesn't have someone that can bridge the gap at this point. Not going to defend the lack or minutes or loans for some other Canadians in the squad though. Okello especially has to get out somewhere.

9 hours ago, toontownman said:

Is Mohammed even registered for the first team? This was the issue with Peruzza signing. He cant be used this season. Likewise maybe Dunn? Dunn does at least appear on the TFC roster page. It seems hard to find the official registered roster anywhere.

I don't have a huge problem with this signing. Mohammed didn't impress with the Eddie's. It keeps Ritchie on the right rather than flip flopping, although they know he can play there at a push. This is a point where the academy doesn't have someone that can bridge the gap at this point. Not going to defend the lack or minutes or loans for some other Canadians in the squad though. Okello especially has to get out somewhere.

Mohammed  never signed with TFC

As for his performance, I thought he was actually okay. Having watched him for a while though, his temper and aggression is a big worry. It's one of the reasons why I'm always a little hesitant about him signing with TFC. He gets himself into a lot of trouble.

Edited by Colliedor

On 9/12/2020 at 7:52 PM, Ansem said:

100% agree with this. What's the f***** point of the academies and talking s*** about believing in Canadians?

They clearly don't 

Would've liked to see them maybe give Bassong a trial at least. Would be a better move if he had impressed and get to save that international spot for something bigger perhaps.

20 hours ago, toontownman said:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2020/toronto-fc

Looks like they still a spot on the senior roster.

I assume you can't update the roster though other than a certain point. Did some more digging on Perruzza, it is not that he couldn't be added right now but that his contract doesn't become valid until January. So I am assuming they can add Dunn back in, if they wish. Or if they really wanted could sign Perruzza now. 

"Perruzza will join Toronto FC’s roster when his contract becomes effective on January 1, 2021."

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2020/08/20/toronto-fc-sign-forward-jordan-perruzza

So it looks like any win by the Impact now against Vancouver gets them the top spot in the Canadian Championship rankings and would earn them the spot against the CPL winners. I had assumed they had to still win by 2 goals but apparently even if they win 1-0, the next tie-breaker down after goals scored & goal differential is away goal differential. I'm assuming head-to-head is something like the 47th tiebreaker or something, somewhere after most corner kicks taken and throw-ins taken in the opposition half.

I hope Vancouver wins or gets a draw so that this doesn't become an issue, but it's really silly that if two teams are tied on points, the team who lost the head-to-head battle between the two teams goes through.

6 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

So it looks like any win by the Impact now against Vancouver gets them the top spot in the Canadian Championship rankings and would earn them the spot against the CPL winners. I had assumed they had to still win by 2 goals but apparently even if they win 1-0, the next tie-breaker down after goals scored & goal differential is away goal differential. I'm assuming head-to-head is something like the 47th tiebreaker or something, somewhere after most corner kicks taken and throw-ins taken in the opposition half.

I hope Vancouver wins or gets a draw so that this doesn't become an issue, but it's really silly that if two teams are tied on points, the team who lost the head-to-head battle between the two teams goes through.

As much as I would like Vancouver to win, I actually hope the Impact pull it off.  I hate cheeky penalties and if the Impact actually go through, a line could be drawn to the incredibly stupid Pozuelo-Piatti penalty (despite all of Camacho's seemingly superhuman efforts to do everything he can to push TFC through).

13 hours ago, El Hombre said:

As much as I would like Vancouver to win, I actually hope the Impact pull it off.  I hate cheeky penalties and if the Impact actually go through, a line could be drawn to the incredibly stupid Pozuelo-Piatti penalty (despite all of Camacho's seemingly superhuman efforts to do everything he can to push TFC through).

I hope Vancouver win for their own sake first and foremost - they have so many Canadian players, especially young ones that it would be nice for them to get into the playoffs because playing in those kind of important games helps their development and also prepares for playing big WCQ matches and Gold Cup games and we need as many Canadian players as possible with that kind of experience to help propel our national team to the next level. The "do not get upset by Haiti level".

I actually have zero problems with that PK, other than Piatti ran into the box too soon.....

16 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I hope Vancouver win for their own sake first and foremost - they have so many Canadian players, especially young ones that it would be nice for them to get into the playoffs because playing in those kind of important games helps their development and also prepares for playing big WCQ matches and Gold Cup games and we need as many Canadian players as possible with that kind of experience to help propel our national team to the next level. The "do not get upset by Haiti level".

I actually have zero problems with that PK, other than Piatti ran into the box too soon.....

Can any referee out there tell me why this wasn't re-taken? I thought infringement into the box resulted in a re-taking of the penalty kick.

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Can any referee out there tell me why this wasn't re-taken? I thought infringement into the box resulted in a re-taking of the penalty kick.

They explained it during the program but I don't remember the exact details.  Something about it not being just infringement into the area, but rather a free kick to Montreal because of Piatti interfering in the penalty kick.

Edited by rkomar

On 9/14/2020 at 8:57 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Presumably head-to-head wasn't used as a tiebreaker because one team hosts more games than the other in a three-game series, but TFC actually won both games at Saputo and lost the only meeting at BMO.

4 minutes ago, RS said:

Presumably head-to-head wasn't used as a tiebreaker because one team hosts more games than the other, but TFC actually won both games at Saputo and lost the only meeting at BMO.

They shouldn't be using home games anyway as any sort of criteria - not for this at least. It was known ahead of time that everyone was playing in empty stadiums (or near empty in the case of Montreal, although I am not sure they knew that they Montreal would be able to admit some fans into attendance, something the other teams weren't allowed to do of course). Home field advantage was more meaningless than usual.

5 hours ago, gator said:

I believe it is only retaken if the defending team infringes and the goal isn't scored, I hung up my whistle years ago, I think that is still the rule, of course a simple google search would probably resolve this!

It's been decades since I reffed, but my take was that the infringing team does not get the advantage.  If the team defending the kick infringes and the ball does not go in, the kick is retaken.  If it goes in, the goal stands.  If the team taking the penalty kick infringes and the ball goes in, then the kick is retaken.  If a goal was not scored, the kick is not retaken.  The penalty for the infringement should not make the other team worse off.