Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Big_M

TFC 2020 Season

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

That's the one of the rare that Impact fans get. Bush was among the worst goalkeepers in the league last year. Diop played well in the Canadian Championship and in late-season MLS  last year. It wasn't surprising that Bush lost his #1 spot with the Impact. 

Fair enough.   You would have seen more impact games than me.    So i will accept that.   But Diop faced just six shots tonight.  And he let four in.   Two of the four goals could have been stopped imo.  Including the first one.  

Edited by Free kick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Free kick said:

Thierry Henry is the new coach.  So it normal that he gets a lot rope from the fans.  They want to be patience.  But what i dont get is the decsion to go with Clement Diop and benching Bush.   Diop was poorly regarded when he was in LA and he was a backup in LA as well. I heard some commentor suggest he is amongst the worst GK’s  in the league.  Was Bush really poor?  Alos, he is putting players at right back that should be in a central role.  Piette last game, Shome tonight.   Shome didnt look bad but he not a true HB is he?   

Diop cant be blamed for the goals against.  But a good keeper could have stopped some of those shots that went in.  Including Bush.  Westberg made some game saving stops.   Diop did not.

 


 

Bush was one of the worst goalkeepers in the league last year I recall seeing a stat to support it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Looks like this game counted as a home game for Montreal and a road game for Toronto, while the DC game was a home game for Toronto

https://www.mlssoccer.com/standings

 

What i dont get is:  what happens to Dallas and Nashville?  If these games count towards the standings,  then (when/if play resumes) how many games do they have ot make up? 
PS:  that pretty unfair to designate one of the teams as home side in these conditions. The biggest benefit to the home side is the way the fan support psychologically impacts the decsions that ref makes.   Without fans,  that what advantge is there to home field?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Free kick said:

What i dont get is:  what happens to Dallas and Nashville?  If these games count towards the standings,  then (when/if play resumes) how many games do they have ot make up? 
PS:  that pretty unfair to designate one of the teams as home side in these conditions. The biggest benefit to the home side is the way the fan support psychologically impacts the decsions that ref makes.   Without fans,  that what advantge is there to home field?

I assume they play each other three times. Probably less awkward now than it was when it was just one team kicked out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

With tonight’s results,   You could very well see most of the starters sitting on the bench at the start of the next match.  
 

By the way,  next TFC match is at 9:00AM again.  How ridiculous is that?  Today, there were three matches scheduled but they played two of them at the 8:00PM and the other at 10:30PM.  Why cant they do that for the other match days?  TFC should livid about that.

Edited by Free kick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Free kick said:

With tonight’s results,   You could very well see most of the starters sitting on the bench at the start of the next match.  
 

By the way,  next TFC match is at 9:00AM again.  How ridiculous is that?  Today, there were three matches scheduled but they played two of them at the 8:00PM and the other at 10:30PM.  Why cant they do that for the other match days?  TFC should livid about that.

The silliest part for me is that the final group matches are not being played at the same time, even though they have the capability to do so as evidenced by tonight's matches.

Not sure that TFC will rest many starters though - yes, they are all but mathematically through to the next round (the third place team in Group A can't catch them and it is unlikely that all of the other groups will have a third place team with 4 points) but the final group game still counts for regular season points.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

The silliest part for me is that the final group matches are not being played at the same time, even though they have the capability to do so as evidenced by tonight's matches.

Not sure that TFC will rest many starters though - yes, they are all but mathematically through to the next round (the third place team in Group A can't catch them and it is unlikely that all of the other groups will have a third place team with 4 points) but the final group game still counts for regular season points.

 

Last nights matches is also proof of why you cant have a tourny with 6 groups of 4 whereby 4/6 third place teams advance.  The RSL-Min match was one of the worst i’ve seen, it had me remembering  the Ger-Aut match in 82.   There were no scoring chnaces that i can recall;  the play was dreadfull.  Even the commentor for the rights holder mentioned it.   At the root of it was the fact that two teams who won their first match were facing off knowing that a draw would secure that they advance.    

With this format,  four points gets you through to the next round whereas it wouldnt guarantee anything if only 2/4 teams advance from every group.  This also means that teams that have 4pts can rest their starters in the final group game.  Putting the integrity of the competing in question.

Also,  this format favours teams in groups D-E-F because they play their third games later than the teams in A-B-C.  Those teams in D-E-F will already know the results and what they need to do to secure the wildcard spot.  

Really really stupid format, one that even FIFA has used many times.   I know that 8 groups of 3 presents other risks (eg.: everyone finishing tied in pts),  but at least it doesnt favour differt teams differnently. 
 

PS:  due to rescheduling, the whitecaps are in a good spot,  they play the last game of group matches against Chi.  They know thye could even afford to lose to SEA tmrw. 

Edited by Free kick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Bur if the whitecaps Fc could somehow manage a win by two goals, it would get really interesting.   TFC- VWCFC could end up playing each other.  Or it could be TFC-NYC depending on what happens in tonights game.
Van is so shorthanded,  that it make this less probable.  
 

ps.:  these 9Am starts would mean 6Am in the west coast.   If you are up watching this game,  you are a true fan.

Edited by Free kick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whitecaps look like a pickup squad...nobody looks confident playing with each other....scrambling, forced passes.

Theyll need a prayer to win much less by two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shway said:

The whitecaps look like a pickup squad...nobody looks confident playing with each other....scrambling, forced passes.

Theyll need a prayer to win much less by two.

Their prayer got answered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Their prayer got answered.

Yes.  And with the help VAR.  mind you, this was one of the times they got right with the VAR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 6:28 AM, Free kick said:

Bur if the whitecaps Fc could somehow manage a win by two goals, it would get really interesting.   TFC- VWCFC could end up playing each other.  Or it could be TFC-NYC depending on what happens in tonights game.
Van is so shorthanded,  that it make this less probable.  
 

ps.:  these 9Am starts would mean 6Am in the west coast.   If you are up watching this game,  you are a true fan.

I just wanted to remind everyone on the board, that according to @Free kick I am a "true fan".

I immediately fell back asleep though, then got up just in time for a weather report in Orlando. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

HAHA, a true fan, but also only human.  I 'm sure many (including myself) got a nice nap when the game went on weather delay!  

I set my frigging alarm for 6 in the morning (since MLS starts any time long after the announced hour, don't mind me), on a day I had 6 hours online teaching lined up! I am a monster fan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...