General MLS Talk 2020

Big_M

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

wow Kamara on the move again at 36..thought colorado would be his last stop..with minnesota doing very well he probably wants to push for a championship..beitashour not done yet

Report: Kei Kamara joins eighth MLS team with trade from Colorado Rapids to Minnesota United

Sources: Colorado Rapids to sign defender Steven Beitashour | Tom Bogert

The Whitecaps not keeping Kamara remains one of their greatest blunders (and they've had so, so many).

Major League Soccer releases schedule, TV for remainder of 2020 regular season

Decision Day, Nov. 8

MLS Decision Day 2020 presented by AT&T will feature all 26 teams in action: the 14 Eastern Conference teams will kick off in seven simultaneous games at 3:30 p.m. ET before the 12 Western Conference teams kick off in six simultaneous games at 6:30 p.m. ET.

On Decision Day, flex scheduling will allow broadcast partners the chance to showcase the most compelling matchups to national audiences:

• ABC & ESPN Deportes: Select Eastern Conference game at 3:30 pm ET;
  • FS1 & FOX Deportes: Select Western Conference game at 6:30 pm ET;
  • TSN: NY Red Bulls vs. Toronto FC (3:30 pm ET) and Vancouver Whitecaps vs. LA Galaxy (6:30 pm ET);
  • TVA Sports: Montreal Impact vs. D.C. United (3:30 pm ET).

In accordance with travel protocols, the three Canadian teams will continue to have US-based home games: 

• Montreal Impact: Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J.
  • Toronto FC: Rentschler Field in Hartford, Conn.
  • Vancouver Whitecaps FC: Providence Park in Portland, Ore.

No team will play the same opponent more than four times during the 2020 regular season, including MLS is Back Tournament Group stage matches. Match details will be announced at a later date for two rescheduled games: Nashville SC vs. FC Dallas and LA Galaxy vs. Sounders FC.

Audi MLS Cup Playoff Qualification

The Audi MLS Cup Playoffs will consist of single-elimination matches hosted by the higher-seeded team and follow a straight bracket format through MLS Cup on Dec. 12.

• 18 total clubs will compete in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs: 10 from East, 8 from West
  • Western Conference: Top 8 teams qualify directly to Round 1
  • Eastern Conference: Only the top 6 seeds qualify directly to Round 1. Seeds 7-10 will each compete in a play-in match:
    • No. 7 seed vs. No. 10 seed
    • No. 8 seed vs. No. 9 seed
    • Lowest seed play-in winner advances to face No. 1 seed in East
    • Highest seed play-in winner advances to face No. 2 seed in East

Some interesting stats. All three players in the Distance Run per game surprised me, some extent. That's not who I though would be #1 while I thought another TFC player would have made the top 3 given how much ground he normally covers. I suppose #2 isn't a surprise because he doesn't do much else than run. ;)

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/09/21/2020-mls-advanced-stats-leaders

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Some interesting stats. All three players in the Distance Run per game surprised me, some extent. That's not who I though would be #1 while I thought another TFC player would have made the top 3 given how much ground he normally covers. I suppose #2 isn't a surprise because he doesn't do much else than run. ;)

Hmm, I thought Delgado did all the running??  

22 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

also reinforces stereotype that Canadian players are only good at running

Olsen out after 10 years..team was really bad this year but also dp's werent good..but starting three 16-18 year olds last night with players like higuain mora asad sorga rivas on the bench was ridiculous..made playoffs in 6 of his 9 full seasons with no mls cups no supporters shields and one us open cup title in 2013 with de rosario jakovic and kyle porter under him

Ben Olsen departs as DC United head coach

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/10/13/jill-ellis-dc-united-would-be-watershed-hire-are-they-fit-charles-boehm

I`ll be honest, I would have turned my nose up to this a few years ago. However, seeing the job John Herdman has done with Canada makes me second guess my instincts, which are to chalk this up to a PR move. That is with all due respect to Jill Ellis, who has had great success on the women`s side of the game. In fact she has had more success than JH (2 WC victories).

However, she also had more tools at her disposal, which is the other side of the coin. Just how good is she and can she pull DCU out of the basement??  That will be a big task for even a seasoned MLS manager, let alone a manager who has never managed in the club game.

Perhaps it is unfair, but questions whether she can coach on the men`s side will linger for her (or any her peers - like Herdman) until she/they cross-over and prove themselves.

Will be interesting. I kind of hope it happens just to see how she stacks up. If she fails the doubters will come out in full force, but if she succeeds it would open up the flood gates, which would be very cool as it may expand the pool of potential coaches. The knock on effects of that would be interesting indeed. 

Edited by Obinna

DC simply needs better dp's..they have two and they havent been good enough..dp's really can make a big difference..and we saw it with rooney..ok squad but he made a huge difference and they made playoffs both seasons..if kasper cant bring those dp's maybe they need a change at gm

2 hours ago, Big_M said:

DC simply needs better dp's..they have two and they havent been good enough..dp's really can make a big difference..and we saw it with rooney..ok squad but he made a huge difference and they made playoffs both seasons..if kasper cant bring those dp's maybe they need a change at gm

Interesting perspective.

Flores seems like a good player to me. He did well in Liga MX and is a regular player, if not a key player, for a respectable Peru side.  The other DP is Arriola and he is out injured, so tough luck there, but Toronto has been largely without Altidore and are chugging along, so no excuse. DC have a lot of solid players on their roster, at least enough to be mid table. Under Olsen they yo-yo between terrible and respectable, so a change had to happen. I am not sure Jill Ellis is the answer, but I am hoping we get to find out.

And another thing, other coaches in this league are doing more with less than DC have. MDS has a lot less weaponry and they are 7 points ahead of DC.

Edited by Obinna

concerning toronto pozuelo and piatti have been huge so we see the difference of good dp's

for vancouver players performed better up to now and montero been huge..cavallini playing better + return of godoy + arrival of bush

dc players just havent performed as well as they should..gressel asad kamara...just not been good enough and add arriola out and flores not doing great..last game the interim ashton made big changes by bringing sorga in the 11 and having also gressel canouse asad rivas mora and taking out the youngsters and they still lost to a chicago fire that is bad year after year

9 hours ago, Big_M said:

concerning toronto pozuelo and piatti have been huge so we see the difference of good dp's

for vancouver players performed better up to now and montero been huge..cavallini playing better + return of godoy + arrival of bush

dc players just havent performed as well as they should..gressel asad kamara...just not been good enough and add arriola out and flores not doing great..last game the interim ashton made big changes by bringing sorga in the 11 and having also gressel canouse asad rivas mora and taking out the youngsters and they still lost to a chicago fire that is bad year after year

Yeah for sure. That is where a good coach can turn things around. Will be interesting to see what happens..

• 2 weeks later...

Two big news today..schelotto gone..results werent good enough..but it has to be said that players overall were bad and should perform much better than that no matter who is the coach..and final standings will be determined by points per game

LA Galaxy relieve head coach Guillermo Barros Schelotto of his duties

MLS to use points per game to determine final 2020 regular season standings