General MLS Talk 2020

Big_M

26 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Well there go his Argentina NT chances....he wasn't getting many in Atlanta, but at least there was a chance if he could stay consistent. Saudi Arabia feels like a nail in the coffin.

I am not Atlanta fan, but I hope the move does not happen. Too soon to give up on this guy in my opinion.

Edited by Obinna

19 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

I remember something about Vancouver being based out of Portland in a kind of bubble situation for "home" games. I have no  verification as this was a preliminary report.

I would be surprised if they chose Portland as a home base considering the riots and political violence in that city. 

In fact, do any of these teams need a home base? Would be easier for them to play an away schedule for the remainder of the season. They are going to be living out of hotels anyway, so might as well. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I would be surprised if they chose Portland as a home base considering the riots and political violence in that city. 

In fact, do any of these teams need a home base? Would be easier for them to play an away schedule for the remainder of the season. They are going to be living out of hotels anyway, so might as well. 

If they were to play, I think they would need a US home base because they wouldn't be able to come home to Canada without a 14 day quarantine.

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Sounds like the league is moving towards 3 DP, 3 Young DP spots:

Unless i am reading this wrong,  I am not sure i like this. Does that mean that the teams are required to fill those three new DP slots for youngers players?   What if you dont have younger u22 players who warrant a DP slot or that kind of $$$?    Or how do you know that one u22 is  more deserving than another guy of that DP slot?   The point is that with players that age you mostly never know.   Yes,  they are essentially to proper team building under a cap system,   But they are mostly not finished products?   

And,  does this u22 DP apply only to domestic talent or to foreign talent?  Or both?what if you go out and get an Almiron with that u22 DP and he turns out to be no better than what you already have in your academy?  This may incentivize teams to go and get young argentinians that have more promise and polish and cast aside the they guys comming up through the academy. 

Edited by Free kick

57 minutes ago, Free kick said:

And,  does this u22 DP apply only to domestic talent or to foreign talent?  Or both?what if you go out and get an Almiron with that u22 DP and he turns out to be no better than what you already have in your academy?  This may incentivize teams to go and get young argentinians that have more promise and polish and cast aside the they guys comming up through the academy. 

My guess is it would be for domestic and foreign players. This is likely a way for MLS teams to own young players that can be sold in future. It is a great strategy in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Unless i am reading this wrong,  I am not sure i like this. Does that mean that the teams are required to fill those three new DP slots for youngers players?   What if you dont have younger u22 players who warrant a DP slot or that kind of $$$?    Or how do you know that one u22 is  more deserving than another guy of that DP slot?   The point is that with players that age you mostly never know.   Yes,  they are essentially to proper team building under a cap system,   But they are mostly not finished products?   

I don't think they'd be "required" to do it, just that it would be another roster option.

MLS regular season match schedule released through September

The MLS regular season match schedule and national broadcast details were released, covering matches through the end of September. The qualification and competition format for the Audio 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs were also unveiled (see below). 

Each MLS club will play three regular season matches from Sept. 18 through Sept. 27. Additional regular season matches will be announced at a later date, pending further developments regarding travel protocols.

The three Canadian clubs, which are currently facing each other in a series of nine matches played exclusively in Canada due to travel restrictions, will play all three of their matches from Sept. 18-27 in the U.S. with each club hosting one home match in a U.S. city:

• Montreal Impact: Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J. (vs. Philadelphia, Sept. 20)
  • Toronto FC: Rentschler Field in Hartford, Conn. (vs. Columbus, Sept. 27)
  • Vancouver Whitecaps FC: Providence Park in Portland, Ore. (vs. Portland, Sept. 27)

As with all matches since the league returned to play in local markets, each team will adhere to comprehensive health and safety protocols, including regular testing of players, coaches and essential staff for COVID-19.

The MLS regular season match schedule and national broadcast details were released, covering matches through the end of September. The qualification and competition format for the Audio 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs were also unveiled (see below). 

Each MLS club will play three regular season matches from Sept. 18 through Sept. 27. Additional regular season matches will be announced at a later date, pending further developments regarding travel protocols.

The three Canadian clubs, which are currently facing each other in a series of nine matches played exclusively in Canada due to travel restrictions, will play all three of their matches from Sept. 18-27 in the U.S. with each club hosting one home match in a U.S. city:

• Montreal Impact: Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J. (vs. Philadelphia, Sept. 20)
  • Toronto FC: Rentschler Field in Hartford, Conn. (vs. Columbus, Sept. 27)
  • Vancouver Whitecaps FC: Providence Park in Portland, Ore. (vs. Portland, Sept. 27)

As with all matches since the league returned to play in local markets, each team will adhere to comprehensive health and safety protocols, including regular testing of players, coaches and essential staff for COVID-19.

Schedule by Club

STAY CONNECTED: Download our FREE mobile app or sync the schedule to your calendar for match reminders or schedule updates.

Audi MLS Cup Playoff Qualification

The Audi MLS Cup Playoffs will once again consist of single-elimination matches hosted by the higher-seeded team and follow a straight bracket format through MLS Cup on Dec. 12.

• 18 total clubs will compete in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs: 10 from East, 8 from West
  • Western Conference: Top 8 teams qualify directly to Round 1
  • Eastern Conference: Only the top 6 seeds qualify directly to Round 1. Seeds 7-10 will each compete in a play-in match:
    • No. 7 seed vs. No. 10 seed
    • No. 8 seed vs. No. 9 seed
    • Lowest seed play-in winner advances to face No. 1 seed in East
    • Highest seed play-in winner advances to face No. 2 seed in East

The complete playoff match schedule and postseason TV coverage will be announced at a later date.