General MLS Talk 2020

Big_M

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's both, at least if you believe the official numbers that come out of China, where the virus originated. 

I have no doubt that China fudged their numbers early on in the crisis. However, it's clear that they did what the USA didn't. They recognised the seriousness of the situation and took hard steps to mitigate it. The USA didn't, and now are dealing with ~50,000 cases and ~1000 deaths every day. That's not politics. It's facts.

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

For me the writing is on the wall. This Canadian series leading to the Canadian championship will be it for them.

Unless the Feds drops the 2 weeks self isolation (which they won't), there's no way they can do same day trips like Mtl preseident implied and staying in the US for months is a tough ask...

MLS preparing a US and Canadian schedule means excluding them is very well on the table.

Then why are there stories circulating that the 3 clubs are looking for a US base?

I always thought it would have made more sense to bring 3/4/5 American teams up to Canada, have them quarantine for the 2 weeks, play all 3 of the Canadian teams, and then head back down to the US, then have the Canadian teams play each other.  You'd have cut at least a few weeks off of the Canadian teams being in the US, and I'm sure the US team players might enjoy a few weeks of reduced covid anxiety.  Oh well, too late now.

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

MLS is no different than the NBA, MLB or NHL.   They are businesses. Made up of indiviual investor who have vested interest in their own markets.  There is no other authority out there superceding this structure.  The only way teams move is if an owner decides re location his team or if he/she sells a team to another owner who wants to move it to another city.   That always happens when an an ownernis not making money.  As long as owners of canadian teams decide not to sell nor move, no cnd team is going anywhere.

Even if an owner wants to sell, they can't just relocate their team wherever they want.  The league still has to approve it.  And despite what some individual MLS owners might think, I think the league likes/wants to be in Canada's 3 biggest markets.  Not because of some "anti-CPL" conspiracy, but because they know there's value in being in 3 major markets in another country.  Plus, MLS keeps selling new teams for exponentially more ridiculous prices.  Why eliminate a market (and that money) by allowing a team to relocate there?

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

Even if an owner wants to sell, they can't just relocate their team wherever they want.  The league still has to approve it.  And despite what some individual MLS owners might think, I think the league likes/wants to be in Canada's 3 biggest markets.  Not because of some "anti-CPL" conspiracy, but because they know there's value in being in 3 major markets in another country.  Plus, MLS keeps selling new teams for exponentially more ridiculous prices.  Why eliminate a market (and that money) by allowing a team to relocate there?

Because they are separated by an international border. 

The value in being in 3 major markets in another country is being undermined by the current logistical challenges. I hope they can figure it out but right now I am not optimistic, as there is no clear end in sight. 

Just now, Obinna said:

Because they are separated by an international border. 

The value in being in 3 major markets in another country is being undermined by the current logistical challenges. I hope they can figure it out but right now I am not optimistic, as there is no clear end in sight. 

Relatively speaking, that's a short term concern.  Unless you're also saying "Well, all the CPL teams are going to lose money this year.  Time to fold the league."

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

I have no doubt that China fudged their numbers early on in the crisis. However, it's clear that they did what the USA didn't. They recognised the seriousness of the situation and took hard steps to mitigate it. The USA didn't, and now are dealing with ~50,000 cases and ~1000 deaths every day. That's not politics. It's facts.

Like physically bar people in their homes, leaving them to starve.

Look, my point was that attitudes shape policy, and a shift in attitude will be required for Canada to relax entry rules. You want to deny the political nature of the situation? That's fine by me. Substitute it with "positive vaccine news" if that's suits you. Either way, the point was that a shift in attitude will be required to ease tensions regarding Canadian entry rules.

Ideally, an attitude shift will come from a significant drop in cases, but I doubt we will hear such news before the elections.

14 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Relatively speaking, that's a short term concern.  Unless you're also saying "Well, all the CPL teams are going to lose money this year.  Time to fold the league."

I hope so.

Also, I wonder how long our clubs can remain operational without ticket revenue. Is that not a significant income stream for any club, MLS, CanPL or otherwise? Luckily, the Canadian Premier League has a 10-year deal with Media Pro that injects significant money, I think, while Toronto FC are pretty flush with resources. Vancouver and Montreal will probably be alright too, but I do wonder how long they'd be willing to sustain loses. The losses must be significant, no?

Edited by Obinna

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

1000s of people die everyday all the time. It's just a new phenomenon that we've turned in to perverts and have decided to count them everyday and obsess over it as we eat our morning cheerios. How many 87 year olds died today? Sounds like a healthy society 

You're a fucking idiot. 🙄

8 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

You're a ******* idiot. 🙄

Am I lying? Or you just dont like what I'm saying? Median age of death in British Columbia 88. Over 80% of people over 80 recover. Facts matter. Twice as many people have died in BC this year of suicide and drug addiction. When I went out for my bike ride tonight I didn't see someone dying of coronavirus virus. I saw a 30 yr old guy on the corner in another dimension holding an empty tim hortons cup. He'll be dead soon. That's reality my friend so save your nonsense for the idiot masses 

Edited by SpursFlu

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I hope so.

Also, I wonder how long our clubs can remain operational without ticket revenue. Is that not a significant income stream for any club, MLS, CanPL or otherwise? Luckily, the Canadian Premier League has a 10-year deal with Media Pro that injects significant money, I think, while Toronto FC are pretty flush with resources. Vancouver and Montreal will probably be alright too, but I do wonder how long they'd be willing to sustain loses. The losses must be significant, no?

I think we've demonstrably proven that Media Pro isn't injecting a significant amount of money, but that the deal is mostly services.  Given the low payroll of teams (about $750k?), if it was a significant amount of money they'd be playing more than just the Island Games.

16 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Am I lying? Or you just dont like what I'm saying? Median age of death in British Columbia 88. Over 80% of people over 80 recover. Facts matter. Twice as many people have died in BC this year of suicide and drug addiction. When I went out for my bike ride tonight I didn't see someone dying of coronavirus virus. I saw a 30 yr old guy on the corner in another dimension holding an empty tim hortons cup. He'll be dead soon. That's reality my friend so save your nonsense for the idiot masses 

Mine was a general statement of fact. After reading your drivel for many months...about politics, football, everything...I can confidently say that you're a fucking idiot. Go on and see if anyone disagrees with me.

28 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Look, my point was that attitudes shape policy, and a shift in attitude will be required for Canada to relax entry rules. You want to deny the political nature of the situation? That's fine by me. Substitute it with "positive vaccine news" if that's suits you. Either way, the point was that a shift in attitude will be required to ease tensions regarding Canadian entry rules.

I would hope that the single and only thing that would relax entry rules would be significant reduction in cases.  I

16 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Mine was a general statement of fact. After reading your drivel for many months...about politics, football, everything...I can confidently say that you're a ******* idiot. Go on and see if anyone disagrees with me.

Brilliant fact.. thousands of people die everyday. I guess that makes you analytical and a saint all rolled in to one

Edited by SpursFlu

30 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

1000s of people die everyday all the time. It's just a new phenomenon that we've turned in to perverts and have decided to count them everyday and obsess over it as we eat our morning cheerios. How many 87 year olds died today? Sounds like a healthy society 

How many fucking threads do you have to derail with your propaganda?

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Can someone bring me up to speed when the Canadian-team MLS games are taking place?  I originally thought they were happening very soon but now I have no idea.  

It starts tomorrow with TFC v Whitecaps. TSN will show all the matches obviously. The last match of this mini tournament is Sep. 16.

Unfortunately the match tomorrow will be head to head with Pacific v York.

These groups of games will determine one of the finalists for the Voyageurs Cup. The other being the winner of the Island Games 

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, narduch said:

It starts tomorrow with TFC v Whitecaps. TSN will show all the matches obviously. The last match of this mini tournament is Sep. 16.

Unfortunately the match tomorrow will be head to head with Pacific v York.

These groups of games will determine one of the finalists for the Voyageurs Cup. The other being the winner of the Island Games 

I am still not seeing it in my guide.  Will have to keep an eye out tomorrow.