2020 Voyageurs Cup Format

I have actually been wondering if the end of the CPL Island games lines up with the end of the MLS mini tournament so that the Voyageurs Cup final can be played ASAP.

I agree that the MLS club will take this very seriously due to the uncertainty of the MLS regular season 

6 hours ago, Kent said:

There is often a team or two that doesn’t prioritize it in any given year. They typically get weeded out by another MLS team, but this year a team like that could end up in the final. TFC for example has seemed a lot less interested in the Canadian Championship and CCL since they missed the playoffs in 2018. For example, they started Gallardo and Mullins in leg 1 of the final last year, and put Pozuelo and Altidore on the subs bench.

Upsets are easiest in one off games than over two legs. Even if the MLS team takes it seriously and I should the better team on the day, the CPL team could still get a fluke goal, or a PK off a dubious call, or a red card to the MLS team, and there is no second game to make amends.

Your examples of the MLS teams not taking it seriously aren't really relevant here, because by the final game they very much take it seriously and that's what this tournament will be, one game. And yes, any of those things could happen to an MLS team. It's why I didn't say an MLS team would win. I just said I wouldn't count on them not taking it seriously or fielding a weaker lineup.

• 4 weeks later...

The last game in the all Canadian phase in MLS is on the 16th, and the CPL final is on the 19th, so I thought the Voyageurs Cup final would be on something like the 22nd or 26th. It would have worked out pretty well. But today MLS announced the Canadian MLS teams will be playing in the USA on September 20th (Montreal) and 19th (Toronto). So is the CPL champ going to have to play the final like 2 months after their season because MLS couldn’t wait a half a week for their teams to cross over the border?

49 minutes ago, Kent said:

The last game in the all Canadian phase in MLS is on the 16th, and the CPL final is on the 19th, so I thought the Voyageurs Cup final would be on something like the 22nd or 26th. It would have worked out pretty well. But today MLS announced the Canadian MLS teams will be playing in the USA on September 20th (Montreal) and 19th (Toronto). So is the CPL champ going to have to play the final like 2 months after their season because MLS couldn’t wait a half a week for their teams to cross over the border?

That makes too much sense.  But I doubt the MLS brass even gave it any thought.  Same old same old.............

18 hours ago, Bison44 said:

That makes too much sense.  But I doubt the MLS brass even gave it any thought.  Same old same old.............

It's not on the MLS brass to schedule the Voyageurs Cup final. The CSA needs to step up and set a date.

Why this wasn't done when the Island Games and MLS Canadian phase were first known is a mystery.

15 hours ago, RS said:

It's not on the MLS brass to schedule the Voyageurs Cup final. The CSA needs to step up and set a date.

Why this wasn't done when the Island Games and MLS Canadian phase were first known is a mystery.

I agree on all of that, but you would think the MLS clubs would have been part of the conversation, especially with the home games/travel situation. It would definitely be nice to know what the CSA is doing though. Is MLS being resistant or is the CSA just waiting around for no apparent reason? Or is there some obligation that the CSA fills in gaps after the domestic schedules are made?

13 hours ago, Shway said:

That’s such a bullshït advantage. The wait/out of form the Forge/HFX will experience is unfair. They should postpone their game and fit the final in some time between now and next week.

Absolutely! This is on the CSA 100%.

Phone up MLS. Tell them the Voyageurs Cup final is in 2 weeks.. if TFC can't make it, they forfeit.

Yes it sucks for TFC but at the end of the day they're the ones in an American league. Why should a domestic champion bow down to a team in a foreign league? 

MLS was well aware of the scenario at play and took advantage of it with their scheduling, plain and simple.

Edit: though I also do agree the CSA should have set a date earlier for the final. Another scenario, if MLS wants to do it this way they should hand the USOC spot to TFC. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Another scenario, if MLS wants to do it this way they should hand the USOC spot to TFC. 

MLS doesn't control the USOC. It doesn't control the Voyageurs Cup either, so there's only one patty in the wrong here.

If the CSA's not going to say "this is the date for our final, schedule around this," then why should MLS not schedule on the days it wants to?

25 minutes ago, RS said:

MLS doesn't control the USOC. It doesn't control the Voyageurs Cup either, so there's only one patty in the wrong here.

If the CSA's not going to say "this is the date for our final, schedule around this," then why should MLS not schedule on the days it wants to?

Well if thats the case, schedule the Cup final for the week after the CPL final and fuck TFC if they dont show.  Let them reschedule their MLS game around the V-cup.  Of course they wont, and I am sure they didnt because they will try to accomodate MLS.  MLS didnt decide what was going on with the CDN clubs until last minute and there wasnt alot of wiggle room left to schedule anything.  If that first TFC game in USA was put off a week, we could have had the final on the 23.  Let TFC make up the game later.  

46 minutes ago, RS said:

You’re right. In that case the CSA should schedule the final and if TFC can’t make it MLS should accommodate them or simply not have a Canadian club with a shot at the CCL.

There is one completely innocent party at this stage and it’s the CPL and their winner on Saturday. 

Wow..TFC wanting all the advantages it can get when they don't even need them

-Wants to play at home despite being a single game

-wants it pushed back in December or January

*should they kneel before TFC while they are at it?

As someone suggested the CSA should call MLS and have them move the date to allow the finals to happen before they leave for the USA.

Why? Because MLS is all but happy to move their dates for Champions League games, they have NO EXCUSES to not accommodate the CSA - It's that or they forfeit.

There's no way in hell making CPL play after 3+ months hiatus while TFC will have played games the entire time remotely fair.

11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Well if thats the case, schedule the Cup final for the week after the CPL final and **** TFC if they dont show.

Right. 

Why didn't that happen?

12 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

MLS didnt decide what was going on with the CDN clubs until last minute and there wasnt alot of wiggle room left to schedule anything.

Do you know when there was a lot of wiggle room? Before MLS decided what was going on with the CDN clubs. The Cup final could've and should've been scheduled before this next phase of MLS was finalized.

Seriously, it's long been known that the CPL final is three days after the last game of the CDN MLS phase. There was plenty of time for the V's Cup to be scheduled before MLS decided what to do for the rest of its regular season.

1 minute ago, Ansem said:

Wow..TFC wanting all the advantages it can get when they don't even need them

Wow. A club looking for a competitive advantage. What a bunch of assholes, amirite?

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

As someone suggested the CSA should call MLS and have them move the date to allow the finals to happen before they leave for the USA.

And as someone else suggested, the CSA should have called MLS over a month ago and told them that the V's Cup final was set for Sept. 26. Be there or the Cup goes to the CPL winner.

Just now, RS said:

And as someone else suggested, the CSA should have called MLS over a month ago and told them that the V's Cup final was set for Sept. 26. Be there or the Cup goes to the CPL winner.

My point is that MLS has accommodate their clubs on very short notice depending on how the Champions League was going. I expect nothing less if I'm the CSA and yes, show up or you are forfeiting

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

My point is that MLS has accommodate their clubs on very short notice depending on how the Champions League was going. I expect nothing less if I'm the CSA and yes, show up or you are forfeiting

So you think the CSA should call up MLS now and start making demands, even though they've had all summer to get their shit together regarding the V's Cup?

Take off your anti-MLS goggles for one second and point the blame at the correct party.