Sign in to follow this  
Ian Kennett

New Players form Expiring MLS Contracts?

If we assume that CPL clubs want to:

a) sign better players;      b) create a higher standard of play;       c) challenge for the Voyageurs Cup;      d) create satisfaction among club fans;      e) develop better Canadian players, f) win a championship, g) increase attendance, h) make money, then,

does it make sense to assertively seek to sign certain Canadians on expiring MLS contracts?

According to Transfermarket, the following Canadians are on expiring MLS contracts? What should CPL clubs do about this? What might be best for the players?

Note: certain players are non-starters in the conversation due to their high quality of play.

Impact FC: Anthony Jackson Hamel, Ballou Tabla, Zachary Brault-Guillard, Clement Bayiha, James Pantemis

Toronto FC: Jay Chapman, Ashton Morgan, Noble Okello, Julian Dunn-Johnson

Columbus Crew: Jordan Hamilton

Whitecaps FC: Brett Levis, Sean Melvin

LAFC: Dejan Jakovic      Orlando FC: Will Johnson, Greg Ranjitsingh

I may have missed a couple, but the idea is pretty clear.  You are the GM of your favourite CPL club. What would you do? Salary considerations, employing journeyman foreigners, developing Canadians, compete with MLS in the Voyageurs Cup? Or . . . ?

Definitely some possibilites there.

Impact players will be out to impress the new coach and might not be released just yet.

i think all the tfc players will remain as squad depth or in their second team.

Hamilton is a definite possibilty. He hasnt been given chances and will likely occupy a similar position at another mls club. He might find those minutes and chance to get back on track in the CPL and impressed MLS clubs to take another chance. 

Can see Levis at pacific for a year IF he can stay fit. So very possible.

Melvin the same. Will be a solid pick up.

Dejan could certainly do well for a year or two somewhere. Depends if he wants to. Coaching path might also open for him.

Dont see Johnson making the switch. He is still getting good playing time but maybe. 

Ranjitsingh like Melvin could he a good bet and maybe to battle with oxner in Halifax.

Ballou Tabla is still on contract with Barcelona B until the middle of next year, so that's an unlikely one in the next window. Think the CanPL salary cap makes it difficult for them to sign Canadian players who have interest elsewhere from clubs that will pay them more, so a lot will depend on who gets new contract offers from MLS, from clubs over in Europe or even from some of the free-spending independent USL Championship teams that Stephen Hart was mentioning last week as being a problem.

The trick will be fitting this calibre of player under what is widely rumoured to be a low cap. I don’t think anyone has spoken about it definitively, but if it is low (below $1M) someone will have to take the hit to make room to sign relatively high priced talent. 

1 hour ago, Ian Kennett said:

If we assume that CPL clubs want to:

a) sign better players;      b) create a higher standard of play;       c) challenge for the Voyageurs Cup;      d) create satisfaction among club fans;      e) develop better Canadian players, f) win a championship, g) increase attendance, h) make money, then,

does it make sense to assertively seek to sign certain Canadians on expiring MLS contracts?

According to Transfermarket, the following Canadians are on expiring MLS contracts? What should CPL clubs do about this? What might be best for the players?

Note: certain players are non-starters in the conversation due to their high quality of play.

Impact FC: Anthony Jackson Hamel, Ballou Tabla, Zachary Brault-Guillard, Clement Bayiha, James Pantemis

Toronto FC: Jay Chapman, Ashton Morgan, Noble Okello, Julian Dunn-Johnson

Columbus Crew: Jordan Hamilton

Whitecaps FC: Brett Levis, Sean Melvin

LAFC: Dejan Jakovic      Orlando FC: Will Johnson, Greg Ranjitsingh

I may have missed a couple, but the idea is pretty clear.  You are the GM of your favourite CPL club. What would you do? Salary considerations, employing journeyman foreigners, developing Canadians, compete with MLS in the Voyageurs Cup? Or . . . ?

Yes please. 

As a Y9 fan, I want Jordan Hamilton most. We need a striker badly. That said, I’d be thrilled with any or all of the TFC castoffs. 

Is love to see some of those guys in the league. However realistically I wouldn't say CPL is currently at a stage that could not afford most of those contracts. Not to mention it hard to think many MLS players would go from playing in front of 25,000 @ TFC to living in Edmonton playing in front of 2000 fans. Unless they had no other options......

Edited by grasshopper1917

1 minute ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Is love to see some of those guys in the league. However realistically I wouldn't say CPL is currently at a stage that could not afford most of those contracts. Not to mention it hard to think many MLS players would go from playing in front of 25,000 @ TFC to living in Edmonton playing in front of 2000 fans. Unless they had no other options......

That’s true. Still, we should be trying our hardest to get as many of them as possible. A few might come... a guy like Chapman for example. He’s 25 or 26, he’s not going to break through at this point in mls. On the other hand, he could be the star of a CPL club and maybe still get his career started. Same with Hamilton. He’s younger, but isn’t getting a look anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

That’s true. Still, we should be trying our hardest to get as many of them as possible. A few might come... a guy like Chapman for example. He’s 25 or 26, he’s not going to break through at this point in mls. On the other hand, he could be the star of a CPL club and maybe still get his career started. Same with Hamilton. He’s younger, but isn’t getting a look anywhere. 

No question those guys could be real standouts in CPL.

21 minutes ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Or flip it around, not making the 18 most of the time, sitting on the bench the rest in front of 25000 fans, compared to playing every week in Edmonton or Winnipeg and maybe someone taking notice of you?  I think after seeing some of DoSantos comments, we'll see a couple top CPL players switch places with some Whitecaps guys, ie Borges and Zator go up, Melvin, Levis come down.  

I know it won't happen but the league should raise the cap so each teams could afford 2 or 3 of these guys.

The whole point of the league was to give Canadians pro a place to play. Would be stupid to make CPL unattainable due to salary cap. Defeats the purpose in my opinion.

On the other hand, CPL must be banking that guys who aren't renewed will lower their salaries demands...

Or...get a bunch of guys on the minimum salary and buy 1 or 2 of these guys.

Lost of possibilities 

Why in the world st. clair..he could be a #2 or 3 in mls and getting 70k+ us..most of these players if they can get same salary or even 5k less it would be too high for cpl..maybe aim to get them on loan if they are not getting much time like telfer

Raheem Edwards as well, I think he would be one of the most obvious MLS players to make the move to the CPL after only making four appearances this year. A great player held back by a knee injury at the start of the season and then frozen out of the lineup since June.

St Clair will have a few years left on his contract...Wright is probably close to CPL, he hasnt gotten many minutes the last few years.  Hamilton got 4 goals in 900min last year, you would think someone would sign him as a number 3-4 striker and roll the dice.  Edwards needs to play somewhere after being frozen out by unfair MLS roster rules.  ******* Garber...he wants to work with CPL but he still wont even make the domestic status fair in MLS.  

7 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

Yes please. 

As a Y9 fan, I want Jordan Hamilton most. We need a striker badly. That said, I’d be thrilled with any or all of the TFC castoffs. 

Hamilton would be solid if we release Adjei. 

As for the others from TFC I’d find a spot for Dunn-Johnson. Would fit our roster and allow us to play 3 CB and deploy Abzi/ Doner as wingbacks. 

I like Chapman but not sure he’s the CM we need. I’d say we need more of an attacking CM that can play that deadly final ball. 

I’d put a call into Edwards as well. We could play him in the same spot Telfer played (though I don’t think he’d replace his production fully). 

Players may like taking some more money to train all week and sit on the bench.   They may actually want to play and enjoy being a vital part to a team though.