Jump to content
Olympique_de_Marseille

Olympic Qualifying Tournament 2020: Jan 28 - Feb 9

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, sting said:

It's now on One Soccer. Only took 70 bloody mins. to finally show it. Pathetic company.

I think they were just trying to spare us 70 minutes of Wheeler mistaking Janine Beckie for Jordyn Huitema, as he only did it about 6 times in the last twenty minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lofty said:

Not sure how this team will find a goal against USA. That was a very unconvincing performance but at least they got the result.

And a nice appearance by Olympique_de_Marseille at the very end of the Honduran online broadcast! Nice 'stash! Thanks for being there, supporting our ladies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canada need a more aggressive mindset when they have the ball. They need to look to move the ball forwards and unlock the defence, not go backwards and give up the opportunity.

They are going to see this in spades on Sunday.

Edited by Lofty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Not sure how this team will find a goal against USA. That was a very unconvincing performance but at least they got the result.

Yeah, if we play at this level in the finals the US will eat us alive.  Mission accomplished though - heading to Tokyo.  Well done ladies.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

And a nice appearance by Olympique_de_Marseille at the very end of the Honduran online broadcast! Nice 'stash! Thanks for being there, supporting our ladies.

Thanks! That was a nerve-racking game. We were pretty bad. Still not sure if Huitema was onside. Happy to have been in the stadium.

Huge relief though. Onward!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thanks! That was a nerve-racking game. We were pretty bad. Still not sure if Huitema was onside. Happy to have been in the stadium.

Huge relief though. Onward!

With VAR that goal would have never counted.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thanks! That was a nerve-racking game. We were pretty bad. Still not sure if Huitema was onside. Happy to have been in the stadium.

Huge relief though. Onward!

Huitema is onside because she is behind the ball at the moment the pass is played to her. When you are behind the ball, you are not in an offside position, no matter where the defenders are.

As usual, the real officials know more than random message board posters who call themselves "refs". 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

USA putting Mexico to the sword, as expected. 4-0 with 10 mins to play. And of course they got the inevitable early goal to crush the opposition's spirit and remove any nerves. Such a great way to start almost every match. Canada's defence is about to get a work out!

Edited by Lofty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rkomar said:

Oh my gawd.  We win on the strength of one goal that was a sitter and almost missed.  That was a barely deserved win.

I've decided she didn't nearly miss, she was just showing off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Olympic Qualifying Tournament FINAL (both finalists have already qualified)

USA vs. Canada, Sun, 9th Feb 2020, 6pm EST, in Carson, CA.

To be broadcast live on OneSoccer? If you can connect, that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lofty said:

Huitema is onside because she is behind the ball at the moment the pass is played to her. When you are behind the ball, you are not in an offside position, no matter where the defenders are.

As usual, the real officials know more than random message board posters who call themselves "refs". 😂

Haha, fair enough. I wasn't sure she was behind the ball. Someone send me a pic on twitter to confirm. It was so quick, we were just celebrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problems for me watching on OneSoccer. 

On the pitch, Canada played like last year in the WC. KHM continues to go with too many defensive, slower and less athletc players. Ball movement and off the ball movement is going to be weak if KHM continues to start Schmidt, Fleming, Sinclair & Scott together - max 2 of these players. Prince or Rose should have started.Riviere was also missed. 

Lawrence needs to take over as attacking mid from Fleming as she continues to tail off playing at the national team level. Leon should have been subbed in for Sinclair yeesterday. Time to consider also starting Huitema ahead of Sinclair as the latter doesn't create any chances on her own or helps set up others anymore. Playing them together hasn't shown any chemistry while Beckie, Huitema & Lawrence have shown to be on the same page. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Haha, fair enough. I wasn't sure she was behind the ball. Someone send me a pic on twitter to confirm. It was so quick, we were just celebrating.

Impossible to tell live unless you are in line with it and looking for it as the linesman would be. You can see it clearly at 4:11 in this 1S highlight package. Huitema clearly does not have two opponents between herself and the goal line but she is still onside because she is also quite clearly behind the ball. How anybody could think that VAR would have disallowed this goal is beyond me.

 

Edited by Lofty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, red card said:

No problems for me watching on OneSoccer. 

On the pitch, Canada played like last year in the WC. KHM continues to go with too many defensive, slower and less athletc players. Ball movement and off the ball movement is going to be weak if KHM continues to start Schmidt, Fleming, Sinclair & Scott together - max 2 of these players. Prince or Rose should have started.Riviere was also missed. 

Lawrence needs to take over as attacking mid from Fleming as she continues to tail off playing at the national team level. Leon should have been subbed in for Sinclair yeesterday. Time to consider also starting Huitema ahead of Sinclair as the latter doesn't create any chances on her own or helps set up others anymore. Playing them together hasn't shown any chemistry while Beckie, Huitema & Lawrence have shown to be on the same page. 

I agree with the vast majority of this. I had such high hopes for Fleming but she has definitely regressed. Perhaps not even in the first eleven anymore. I still feel as though that world class footballer instinct is there but is either being repressed or not encouraged. She needs to start looking for those playmaker defence splitting forward passes that unlock defences instead of always going sideways or backwards. And for that to happen, other attackers need to make the runs.

I have always been a fan of what Schmidt brings but the same criticism applies to her. Under even the slightest pressure she can't wait to play back towards her own goal.

Sinclair should not be playing forward anymore but she is still in my starting eleven in midfield, perhaps in place of Fleming as playmaker. We have a bunch of good forwards now. Leon on the bench is an utter waste. She has really improved, has a great eye for goal, strength, and energy, and should now be playing some part in every match.

Time to shake it up and show the US something new on Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buchanan and Lawrence the players of the half for Canada.

In the first 20 mins I was ready to throw something at the TV as the US totally dominated and Canada could not string more than 2 passes together. But since then, Canada have come into it.

How unlucky was Press on that 30 yarder?! Underside of the bar. Plus a bunch of other chances, once where she was offside  She is going to score before this thing is over.

I get the feeling the difference between these two teams is more down to tactics than individual skill.

Still, no early goal for the US and 0-0 HT is a win for Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Buchanan and Lawrence the players of the half for Canada.

In the first 20 mins I was ready to throw something at the TV as the US totally dominated and Canada could not string more than 2 passes together. But since then, Canada have come into it.

How unlucky was Press on that 30 yarder?! Underside of the bar. Plus a bunch of other chances, once where she was offside  She is going to score before this thing is over.

I get the feeling the difference between these two teams is more down to tactics than individual skill.

Still, no early goal for the US and 0-0 HT is a win for Canada.

Isn't there a USA fan girls site you can post on?? Then you can prattle on about the magnificent US women and leave us Cdn fans less aggravated with your ****.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Isn't there a USA fan girls site you can post on?? Then you can prattle on about the magnificent US women and leave us Cdn fans less aggravated with your ****.

Oh good, a keyboard warrior. Go spit your bile at someone else you w@nker. I can appreciate good football no matter who plays it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...