Olympic Qualifying Tournament 2020: Jan 28 - Feb 9

Just now, Lofty said:

Not sure how this team will find a goal against USA. That was a very unconvincing performance but at least they got the result.

And a nice appearance by Olympique_de_Marseille at the very end of the Honduran online broadcast! Nice 'stash! Thanks for being there, supporting our ladies.

40 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

And a nice appearance by Olympique_de_Marseille at the very end of the Honduran online broadcast! Nice 'stash! Thanks for being there, supporting our ladies.

Thanks! That was a nerve-racking game. We were pretty bad. Still not sure if Huitema was onside. Happy to have been in the stadium.

Huge relief though. Onward!

3 hours ago, Lofty said:

Huitema is onside because she is behind the ball at the moment the pass is played to her. When you are behind the ball, you are not in an offside position, no matter where the defenders are.

As usual, the real officials know more than random message board posters who call themselves "refs". 😂

Haha, fair enough. I wasn't sure she was behind the ball. Someone send me a pic on twitter to confirm. It was so quick, we were just celebrating.

No problems for me watching on OneSoccer. 

On the pitch, Canada played like last year in the WC. KHM continues to go with too many defensive, slower and less athletc players. Ball movement and off the ball movement is going to be weak if KHM continues to start Schmidt, Fleming, Sinclair & Scott together - max 2 of these players. Prince or Rose should have started.Riviere was also missed. 

Lawrence needs to take over as attacking mid from Fleming as she continues to tail off playing at the national team level. Leon should have been subbed in for Sinclair yeesterday. Time to consider also starting Huitema ahead of Sinclair as the latter doesn't create any chances on her own or helps set up others anymore. Playing them together hasn't shown any chemistry while Beckie, Huitema & Lawrence have shown to be on the same page. 

5 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Buchanan and Lawrence the players of the half for Canada.

In the first 20 mins I was ready to throw something at the TV as the US totally dominated and Canada could not string more than 2 passes together. But since then, Canada have come into it.

How unlucky was Press on that 30 yarder?! Underside of the bar. Plus a bunch of other chances, once where she was offside  She is going to score before this thing is over.

I get the feeling the difference between these two teams is more down to tactics than individual skill.

Still, no early goal for the US and 0-0 HT is a win for Canada.

Isn't there a USA fan girls site you can post on?? Then you can prattle on about the magnificent US women and leave us Cdn fans less aggravated with your shit.

10 minutes ago, Lofty said:

Oh good, a keyboard warrior. Go spit your bile at someone else you w@nker. I can appreciate good football no matter who plays it.

Just stating the obvious as a Cdn team supporter who despises the Yank ladies, their coaches, their demeanour, and their supporters and have done so for an awfully long time

From this particular display I think we are still miles behind the US in talent and it would take an upset of massive proportions to get a result against them, we do have a couple of players at their level but that's not enough, obviously errors have to be kept to a minimum to have a chance! The good news is we have some time to improve before meaningful matches are played!

The women's team is the inverse of the men's team. Lots of depth & talent on the back line and goalkeeping. But midfield & up front, it is below average relative to other top 10 nations. 

KHM compounds the problem by playing too many non-dynamic attacking players. KHM has put in more varied formations than Herdman but none of them has delivered offensively when a team bunkers or is in the top 10. KHM has also been more reluctant to play younger players in the bigger matches. 

Against the US, they needed to score in the first half. 2012 Sinclair would have scored. But with minimal player rotation on 1.5 days of rest, you knew Canada would start wilting while the US would still be fresh since they played 6 fresh players.

At least Fleming finally showed some pop in her legs and provided a couple of incisive passes but then turned the ball over for the third goal. Buchanan has improved in disposing players of the ball with no danger of fouling. Lawrence is the best player on the team - needs to start in the middle more.

For the Olympic roster of 18, two will need to be cut - likely will be D'Angelo & Carle. Only new player that might crack the 18 is Olivia Smith. 

If Canada doesn't get out of its group - time to let KHM go. If they don't win a winnable quarterfinal, time to let him go. 

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, Rivaldo said:

The Globe and Mail's TV critic and sometime soccer writer, John Doyle, wrote about the lack of TV coverage for Olympic qualifying.

The never-ending marginalization of women’s sports on TV

His theories are mostly wrong, but I bet OneSoccer loves the publicity.

Ha, this is kind of funny/ironic. Here is what I see.

”... getting those fans to fork over money to watch crucial games”

“To keep reading this article, you must be a globe and mail subscriber. Become one now for $1.99 per week.”

I promise I wasn't trying to get you to fork over money to read that half-baked column. I forgot about the paywall.

He writes that the national women’s soccer team shouldn’t be so difficult to see on TV.

Summing it up:

"There’s a lot of mystery surrounding the issue of women’s soccer here. A lot of Canadians, men and women, would love to wear a Sinclair shirt, but try purchasing one. They don’t seem to exist. It’s the murky broadcast issue that sticks, mind you. Call it sneaky moves or call it just business, but it looks like women’s sports being marginalized over and over again."