Jump to content

Sexism In New Media


Recommended Posts

In the latest episode of the AFTN radio show/podcast (episode 365), host Michael McColl said his favourite part of the OneSoccer broadcast of the final (leg 2) was Andi Petrillo’s leather pants. 

Michael has said many similar things over the years but this was the one for me that will end my listenership and support of the podcast. 

The broader thing I think needs discussion here is holding our new media accountable to inclusivity. It’s an exciting time that a few friends can put together a pod without needing investment from above but that means standards being forced from the listeners below. 

If we want to grow the game in this country, the above kind of speak needs to be swept aside so that all are welcome.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, DrummingInMySleep said:

In the latest episode of the AFTN radio show/podcast (episode 365), host Michael McColl said his favourite part of the OneSoccer broadcast of the final (leg 2) was Andi Petrillo’s leather pants. 

Michael has said many similar things over the years but this was the one for me that will end my listenership and support of the podcast. 

The broader thing I think needs discussion here is holding our new media accountable to inclusivity. It’s an exciting time that a few friends can put together a pod without needing investment from above but that means standards being forced from the listeners below. 

If we want to grow the game in this country, the above kind of speak needs to be swept aside so that all are welcome.

 

I think the free market tends to sort this sort of thing out.  People who like to look at Andi might not be as offended and tune in to AFTN.  People who want a more equity lens will seek their feed of CPL elsewhere.  I am not sure something at this level of infraction is the sort of thing we should seek to police when personal choice will take care of much of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, DrummingInMySleep said:

In the latest episode of the AFTN radio show/podcast (episode 365), host Michael McColl said his favourite part of the OneSoccer broadcast of the final (leg 2) was Andi Petrillo’s leather pants. 

Michael has said many similar things over the years but this was the one for me that will end my listenership and support of the podcast. 

The broader thing I think needs discussion here is holding our new media accountable to inclusivity. It’s an exciting time that a few friends can put together a pod without needing investment from above but that means standards being forced from the listeners below. 

If we want to grow the game in this country, the above kind of speak needs to be swept aside so that all are welcome.

 

Nevermind, I don't need to actually listen to it.

Anyhow, what exactly about his comment did you feel was not inclusive and prevents all from being welcome?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Firstly, I should say that I am not for censorship. No organization or agency should take away their platform. I agree that people should vote with their thumbs in this case. 

On inclusivity, whoever espouses or supports the notion that it’s ok for a media member (‘new’ or traditional) to comment on the attractiveness of a female host is sending a strong message to women that they are not welcome in our community, not on their merits.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DrummingInMySleep said:

Firstly, I should say that I am not for censorship. No organization or agency should take away their platform. I agree that people should vote with their thumbs in this case. 

On inclusivity, whoever espouses or supports the notion that it’s ok for a media member (‘new’ or traditional) to comment on the attractiveness of a female host is sending a strong message to women that they are not welcome in our community, not on their merits.

 

 

Attractive people are a good thing. Says a lot about a person who takes care of themselves. More importantly in this case we're talking about a fantastic broadcaster

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, DrummingInMySleep said:

On inclusivity, whoever espouses or supports the notion that it’s ok for a media member (‘new’ or traditional) to comment on the attractiveness of a female host is sending a strong message to women that they are not welcome in our community, not on their merits.

I don't know man, that's a huge reach. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think she's a good looking girl. Is that a crime? But hey that's me. Life goes on

I'm thinking if we start to get bent out of shape over what people are saying on podcasts we might be here for a while

Everyone has an impression of everyone else’s level of attractiveness, of course. 

We are talking about what is appropriate in a professional setting and what is signalled to Canadian soccer observers, female or not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, DrummingInMySleep said:

Everyone has an impression of everyone else’s level of attractiveness, of course. 

We are talking about what is appropriate in a professional setting and what is signalled to Canadian soccer observers, female or not. 

I get complemented in a professional setting all the time by men and women. I like it. It's part of the reason I prioritize my appearance. So I can be a viable individual. It's all part of the big puzzle of life.  Happy shinny people, it's better than the alternative. If you want to make a positive change, try lightening up. That's what women, men, everybody really need right now

Edited by SpursFlu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

 

Well he didn't just say Petrillo was attractive, he (apparently) commented on her pants which is totally offside. Some things are better left unsaid. 

That may be but it leading to a non-inclusive environment is what I am finding as a reach. You're implying the individual in question would be uncomfortable with it. 

 

Edited by Macksam
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

 

Well he didn't just say Petrillo was attractive, he (apparently) commented on her pants which is totally offside. Some things are better left unsaid. 

I agree that it’s worse to comment on her specific clothing but even her attractiveness should be offside for what is essentially a professional peer of hers to comment on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I literally just had someone in a work environment tell me they liked my shirt and it looked good on me.

Women in particular are especially vulgar when it comes to commenting on fashion.  Further, let's not excuse the behaviour of our CWNT, as they disgustingly fawned over John Herdman for years in a professional setting - one of the reasons he left the womens program, he was objectified.  

 

;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DrummingInMySleep said:

I agree that it’s worse to comment on her specific clothing but even her attractiveness should be offside for what is essentially a professional peer of hers to comment on. 

They could avoid this if they required the females to dress the same as the men.  If the men must wear a suit and a tie, so should the women.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gator said:

I met And at our Battalion event the night before the 1st leg, she seems a very genuinely nice person, she engaged the crowd to ask questions of the OneSoccer panel which was great, I think she does an excellent job hosting the CPL matches!

Did she have on the same pants??  Seriously though, check youtube out, she has plenty of rabid fans on there.  Its too bad this still happens, maybe because its a podcast he thought things were loosy goosy.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, DrummingInMySleep said:

On inclusivity, whoever espouses or supports the notion that it’s ok for a media member (‘new’ or traditional) to comment on the attractiveness of a host is sending a strong message that they are not welcome in our community, not on their merits.

 

 

Fyp to make it more inclusive 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...