Toronto FC adamant they deserve CCL spot if they win MLS Cup

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/11/04/toronto-fc-adamant-they-deserve-ccl-spot-if-they-win-mls-cup

I personally think the MLS teams should only be able to qualify to CCL through the MLS league. So whether they win the supporters shield, mls cup, etc. 

The MLS teams would still be able to play in the Voyageurs cup, but wouldn't be able to qualify to CCL by winning it. 

The CPL champion should qualify for CCL while the runner up should get CL. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/11/04/toronto-fc-adamant-they-deserve-ccl-spot-if-they-win-mls-cup

I personally think the MLS teams should only be able to qualify to CCL through the MLS league. So whether they win the supporters shield, mls cup, etc. 

The MLS teams would still be able to play in the Voyageurs cup, but wouldn't be able to qualify to CCL by winning it. 

The CPL champion should qualify for CCL while the runner up should get CL. 

I don't want that. The Canadian Championship is hugely important to soccer in Canada. It can get more eyeballs on CPL and the D3 leagues, but if you take the MLS teams out of it (and removing their motivation for winning it would probably do that. They would either send youth players or just back out completely) cripples the ability of the tournament to get people to take notice. If Cavalry didn't beat Vancouver, there would be less believers out there.

I am a TFC fan and I love the CCL, but I am just fine with them missing out even if they win MLS Cup. They should have put more emphasis on the Voyageurs Cup if the CCL is important to them.

6 hours ago, Kent said:

I am a TFC fan and I love the CCL, but I am just fine with them missing out even if they win MLS Cup. They should have put more emphasis on the Voyageurs Cup if the CCL is important to them.

I'm not a TFC fan and regularly give them a hard time, but I think they should represent MLS if they win the MLS Cup. MLS allowed Canadian teams into their league and that spot is for the winner of the MLS Cup. It is unsporting and makes both the league and the CONCACAF Champions League a farce.

What Ted said, except I expect them NOT to get the  berth.  Its unfair etc etc but maybe it will finally get the message through to the american head office at TFC.  You are in a american league geared for americans and they are going to fuck you..what else did you expect??  

2 hours ago, ted said:

I'm not a TFC fan and regularly give them a hard time, but I think they should represent MLS if they win the MLS Cup. MLS allowed Canadian teams into their league and that spot is for the winner of the MLS Cup. It is unsporting and makes both the league and the CONCACAF Champions League a farce.

It’s not a league determined thing though. The USSF is given 4 spots by CONCACAF and the USSF decides how to award those spots. If they wanted they could leave MLS play out of it and have the 4 US Open Cup semi finalists go to the CCL. The CSA if they wanted could use MLS play to determine our CCL representative, but that would render the Canadian Championship virtually useless and leave the other pro teams in Canada with no shot at the CCL.

17 hours ago, Kent said:

It’s not a league determined thing though. The USSF is given 4 spots by CONCACAF and the USSF decides how to award those spots. If they wanted they could leave MLS play out of it and have the 4 US Open Cup semi finalists go to the CCL. The CSA if they wanted could use MLS play to determine our CCL representative, but that would render the Canadian Championship virtually useless and leave the other pro teams in Canada with no shot at the CCL.

Very true, but it can be easy enough for CONCACAF to rectify: 1.5 CCL to Canada, 3.5 spots to USA. The 0.5 spot is determined by who wins the MLS Cup.

Of course, I also think the bottom-ranked US spot and the bottom-ranked MEX spot should be shunted into CONCACAF League, with the top-8 qualifying to the CCL, so take my thought here with a massive grain of salt.

TFC is not getting the spot. It's unlikely that CONCACAF will do anything to anger the US or MEX in regards to CCL. All will continue, more or less, as it has previously.

19 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Well Toronto FC can focus on winning Leagues' Cup as actual representatives of MLS.

Which will be interesting, given last season the game dates clashed significantly with the Voyageurs Cup. Presumably any teams playing in both, will need a bye to the latest entry point in the Voyageurs Cup.

You all know that I hate the fact that we have Canadian clubs playin and MLS. I also hate TFC since I'm from Montreal. But TFC isa right on that point. I will they can make a complain to CONCACAF and even CAS. UEFA decided that the Welsh clubs playin in the English system should represent England for euro cups

4 hours ago, mtlsab said:

You all know that I hate the fact that we have Canadian clubs playin and MLS. I also hate TFC since I'm from Montreal. But TFC isa right on that point. I will they can make a complain to CONCACAF and even CAS. UEFA decided that the Welsh clubs playin in the English system should represent England for euro cups

I don't think that they can. The reason why Welsh clubs could was because they can't play in the Welsh league. But, those Welsh clubs in the English system can only qualify through the English system. Canadian clubs can qualify through the Canadian system right now. If they allow TFC to get an American spot, they might as well kick out all the MLS teams of the V's Cup and allow them to play in the US Open Cup. TFC can't have it both ways. The better comparison would be what happens if FC Vaduz wins the Swiss league title, and the answer is they can't play in the Champions' League since they are a guest club of the Swiss league and also because they can qualify through Europa League if they win the Liechtenstein Cup. I don't know why people always mention Cardiff and Swansea when we are more like Vaduz and Balzers which is a much better comparison. 

3 hours ago, Blackdude said:

I don't think that they can. The reason why Welsh clubs could was because they can't play in the Welsh league. But, those Welsh clubs in the English system can only qualify through the English system. Canadian clubs can qualify through the Canadian system right now. If they allow TFC to get an American spot, they might as well kick out all the MLS teams of the V's Cup and allow them to play in the US Open Cup. TFC can't have it both ways. The better comparison would be what happens if FC Vaduz wins the Swiss league title, and the answer is they can't play in the Champions' League since they are a guest club of the Swiss league and also because they can qualify through Europa League if they win the Liechtenstein Cup. I don't know why people always mention Cardiff and Swansea when we are more like Vaduz and Balzers which is a much better comparison. 

The Welsh clubs playing in the English pyramide have been excluded from the Welsh Cup since UEFA decided that they should qualify to euro cup by English compétitions. Could CONCACAF decide the same?

On 11/6/2019 at 9:31 PM, Blackdude said:

Well Toronto FC can focus on winning Leagues' Cup as actual representatives of MLS.

I have no idea what you are talking about here. If they win the MLS Cup there is no competition called "Leagues' Cup" to represent MLS in.

Just now, Kent said:

I was confused at first as well, but there is actually such a thing. This sham of a tournament started this year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leagues_Cup

Wow! I had no idea. 

Love the write up from the Wikipedia article which includes, "The announcement of the tournament was panned by soccer critics in the United States, who called it a meaningless friendly and "cash-grab" for American clubs."

But sure, that and something called
Campeones Cup, totally makes up for being cheated out of a Champions League spot.

Wonder if CanPL will get an invite? LOL who am I kidding? Of course not.

4 hours ago, mtlsab said:

The Welsh clubs playing in the English pyramide have been excluded from the Welsh Cup since UEFA decided that they should qualify to euro cup by English compétitions. Could CONCACAF decide the same?

I don't think so since Canadian MLS clubs only play in one domestic cup. Welsh clubs were playing in two domestic cups until then. If Canadian clubs play in the US Open Cup, I'd say so, but until they do, I can't see this happening.