Sign in to follow this  
MM3/MM2/MM

Forge FC Season Thread 2020

Seeding should be based on the Voyageurs Cup alone.  Otherwise by dnina10's logic we should be granting an additional bye to Toronto FC as well for finishing as finalists (and actually *technically* earning a CCL birth in MLS - why should they be equal to their MLS counterparts?).  You have to seed based on the Vs Cup - it's the only way.

Edited by CanadaFan123

33 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

I'd say Pacific has certainly narrowed the gap with signing Bustos, but how significantly, we will have to see.

But as of now they have lost Fisk. Fisk resigning would be big for them

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Question for Forge fans:

Do Forge deserve a bye to the QF round of the 2020 Voyageurs cup? @dnina10and I have been debating this in the Ottawa thread, but I think the discussion is more at home here.

Curious to see what you guys think about it...

dnina10's point (and please let me know if I am misrepresenting your point) is that since Forge are the "national champions", that holds more weight than whatever the Whitecaps are bringing to the table. Forge will compete in concacaf league and will have more travel as a result as well, so perhaps the extra games due to playing in the qualifying round of Voyageurs cup is unfair? Thoughts?

Personally, I think Forge rightly deserve to start in the qualifying round. York9, HFX and the Whitecaps all finished ahead of them in the 2019 Voyageurs Cup. The results from last years tournament should determine placement for this year. That seems most fair to me. How Forge or any other team performs in their league shouldn't take precedence over how they performed in the Voyageurs Cup last year.

That's where I stand, but I am open to hearing some good arguments that may persuade me to think otherwise.

Thoughts?

Edit: I should also add that Ottawa Fury would have been given the bye had they not folded. They finished ahead of Whitecaps, York9 and HFX (and obviously Forge). However, they did fold, which created the tricky situation of who should get the bye. In the end they chose the MLS team.

My thought is you could have made a case for either Cavalry or Forge getting the bye and either choice would have been a right choice. However, now that you've established "The guy who did the best last V.Cup gets the bye/better treatment" that's the way it is, and should be sticked to.

MLS getting the bye is accommodation to MLS's schedule, how much cash they are likely investing in youth soccer compared to the CanPL and how much more well established they are. When CanPL sides are drawing 10,000+ a game and beating MLS sides in the V.Cup consistently, then we open the discussion of all teams being seeded that way. 

Edited by -Hammer-

@Ansem I am mentioning you here as to not clutter the Ottawa thread.

What about a Canadian Super Cup?

The winner of the Canadian Premier League plays two-legs against the winner of the Voyageurs Cup to determine who gets the Canadia CCL spot.

Last year that would have put Forge against the Impact. 

This may be the best way to go as long as we have Canadian MLS teams. 

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

@Ansem I am mentioning you here as to not clutter the Ottawa thread.

What about a Canadian Super Cup?

The winner of the Canadian Premier League plays two-legs against the winner of the Voyageurs Cup to determine who gets the Canadia CCL spot.

Last year that would have put Forge against the Impact. 

This may be the best way to go as long as we have Canadian MLS teams. 

I am a huge advocate of a Super Cup... I'd call it the Governor General's Shield to keep it classy.  

The only question is when to have it?  Personally I don't think it should give you the CCL spot - it should just be a competition that settles a grudge and is a chance to win silverware.  Play it on Victoria Day weekend every year.    

38 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

But why not use the 2020 Voyageurs Cup Format thread in the Voyageurs Cup & CONCACAF Champion League section of the boards?  

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/forum/26-voyageurs-cup-concacaf-champions-league/

:unsure:

We can use that as a place to discuss, thanks!

@Ansem @RS @dnina10 @CanadaFan123

At this afternoon's Canadian Auto Show Toronto (like 3 km from BMO Field) at the CPL Soccer/Volkswagen Canada booth were Forge FC players players Klaidi Cela and Jonathan Grant shown signing autographs. Kwame Awuah was here earlier and Kyle Bekker couldn't make it.

Autoshow.jpg