Forge FC Season Thread 2020

16 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Question for Forge fans:

Do Forge deserve a bye to the QF round of the 2020 Voyageurs cup? @dnina10and I have been debating this in the Ottawa thread, but I think the discussion is more at home here.

Curious to see what you guys think about it...

dnina10's point (and please let me know if I am misrepresenting your point) is that since Forge are the "national champions", that holds more weight than whatever the Whitecaps are bringing to the table. Forge will compete in concacaf league and will have more travel as a result as well, so perhaps the extra games due to playing in the qualifying round of Voyageurs cup is unfair? Thoughts?

Personally, I think Forge rightly deserve to start in the qualifying round. York9, HFX and the Whitecaps all finished ahead of them in the 2019 Voyageurs Cup. The results from last years tournament should determine placement for this year. That seems most fair to me. How Forge or any other team performs in their league shouldn't take precedence over how they performed in the Voyageurs Cup last year.

That's where I stand, but I am open to hearing some good arguments that may persuade me to think otherwise.

Thoughts?

Edit: I should also add that Ottawa Fury would have been given the bye had they not folded. They finished ahead of Whitecaps, York9 and HFX (and obviously Forge). However, they did fold, which created the tricky situation of who should get the bye. In the end they chose the MLS team.

My thought is you could have made a case for either Cavalry or Forge getting the bye and either choice would have been a right choice. However, now that you've established "The guy who did the best last V.Cup gets the bye/better treatment" that's the way it is, and should be sticked to.

MLS getting the bye is accommodation to MLS's schedule, how much cash they are likely investing in youth soccer compared to the CanPL and how much more well established they are. When CanPL sides are drawing 10,000+ a game and beating MLS sides in the V.Cup consistently, then we open the discussion of all teams being seeded that way. 

Edited by -Hammer-

@Ansem I am mentioning you here as to not clutter the Ottawa thread.

What about a Canadian Super Cup?

The winner of the Canadian Premier League plays two-legs against the winner of the Voyageurs Cup to determine who gets the Canadia CCL spot.

Last year that would have put Forge against the Impact. 

This may be the best way to go as long as we have Canadian MLS teams. 

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

@Ansem I am mentioning you here as to not clutter the Ottawa thread.

What about a Canadian Super Cup?

The winner of the Canadian Premier League plays two-legs against the winner of the Voyageurs Cup to determine who gets the Canadia CCL spot.

Last year that would have put Forge against the Impact. 

This may be the best way to go as long as we have Canadian MLS teams. 

I am a huge advocate of a Super Cup... I'd call it the Governor General's Shield to keep it classy.  

The only question is when to have it?  Personally I don't think it should give you the CCL spot - it should just be a competition that settles a grudge and is a chance to win silverware.  Play it on Victoria Day weekend every year.    

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Any other forge fans wondering what’s going on this offseason? 

Obviously we’re bringing back a big core but we’ve also lost the best player in the league while our rivals continue to add impressive pieces and retain their best players. 

Yeah, you guys are getting ready to lose to York 9 this season! We’re coming for you ;)

30 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I feel like Forge can afford to wait a bit for MLS training camp cuts or even wait longer to see what positions need to be filled due to injuries in the summer

That is a good shout as well.  The club already tried to get Mathieu Choiniere on loan.  

I'm king of hoping for Will Johnson..  He would be a great addition for a CL run.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just finished watching the show, it was great to look back on the season and the exciting 2 leg final, Forge really should have had it all wrapped up at home, 3 bars, a missed penalty and playing against 10 men! I'm glad they showed the best chance Cavalry had on a header, I asked Edgar about it at our championship celebration at THF lounge, at first glance it looked like he mis- timed his jump, he told me he knew the ball was going over his head so all he could do was leap and throw the forward off, which if you look at it closely he did! I miss football! Stay safe all!

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Smyrniotis said the same during his Onesoccer Hangout interview.

For instance Scottish Football is officially done. I would think even for teams that have players under contract its better to explore options for players to leave. At least their active and it can eliviate wages either by a loan arrangement or and outright release

Edited by SpursFlu

21 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

For instance Scottish Football is officially done. I would think even for teams that have players under contract its better to explore options for players to leave. At least their active and it can eliviate wages either by a loan arrangement or and outright release

The SPL is not done, there is a major battle brewing as to what is going to be done, it will be decided after the UEFA meeting this week, lower leagues are done however!