Forge FC Season Thread 2020

31 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I hope to see some new, exciting players in th league. Will be a bit disappointed if they keep almost the entirely same roster. I know they had success, but would like to see the quality improve.

It is nice to see a fair amount of teams kept their core intact. The chemistry alone will increase the quality, but I agree. Would be nice to see some bigger new signings

I didn't expect Borges to be a Forge player this season and he still may not be, whether he stays or goes Forge really need a striker who will score goals, I am not overly impressed with who they have and lack of goal scoring from them was papered over by Borge's great production!

13 minutes ago, gator said:

I didn't expect Borges to be a Forge player this season and he still may not be, whether he stays or goes Forge really need a striker who will score goals, I am not overly impressed with who they have and lack of goal scoring from them was papered over by Borge's great production!

Somewhat true in that they never had a true finisher up top but the team production was great.  Forge was still able to look good even with Borges on the bench so it's not like he was Giovinco-like influence.

14 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I quite liked Owundi, but he's an international probably making a decent wage and can be replaced by Edgar so it makes sense that they'd jettison him.

Yes, he was a solid defender for Forge but it was telling that he never started the 2nd leg of the final even when available after suspension, he's got MLS experience, I had a good chat with him at a Forge event, a very nice humble person, sad to see him leave but there should be enough defensive options without him!

On 1/10/2020 at 12:46 PM, gator said:

Yes, he was a solid defender for Forge but it was telling that he never started the 2nd leg of the final even when available after suspension, he's got MLS experience, I had a good chat with him at a Forge event, a very nice humble person, sad to see him leave but there should be enough defensive options without him!

I think it was clear that Edgar was an upgrade on Owundi and in a tight salary cap league tough choices have to be made.  I expect Owundi catches on somewhere else as he’s clearly good at this level.

Forge needs another up front striker though.  They’re going to be plugging that hole.  

I’m no longer expecting Borges to move on this year, but probably this is his last season with us.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome to see Borges move on, but would really like to see Forge sign some new players. I realize they have some cohesion, but almost every other team has made improvements. Also, would like to see them do well in CONCACAF league, which they clearly need to improve for.

4 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Awesome to see Borges move on, but would really like to see Forge sign some new players. I realize they have some cohesion, but almost every other team has made improvements. Also, would like to see them do well in CONCACAF league, which they clearly need to improve for.

The best two teams have stood still a little. Lots to confirm with Cavalry even with what looks like a great signing in Cordova. 

One player shouldn't make a team but Borges was the difference maker last year. If they don't bring someone equally as inspirational in it could be the difference between first or 4th this year IMO. 

Did someone just say Bustos?

On 1/10/2020 at 11:08 AM, deschamp86 said:

I think it would narrow the gap for sure, but I think both squads are strong enough that there would still be a gap between them and the other clubs

I'd say Pacific has certainly narrowed the gap with signing Bustos, but how significantly, we will have to see.

Question for Forge fans:

Do Forge deserve a bye to the QF round of the 2020 Voyageurs cup? @dnina10and I have been debating this in the Ottawa thread, but I think the discussion is more at home here.

Curious to see what you guys think about it...

dnina10's point (and please let me know if I am misrepresenting your point) is that since Forge are the "national champions", that holds more weight than whatever the Whitecaps are bringing to the table. Forge will compete in concacaf league and will have more travel as a result as well, so perhaps the extra games due to playing in the qualifying round of Voyageurs cup is unfair? Thoughts?

Personally, I think Forge rightly deserve to start in the qualifying round. York9, HFX and the Whitecaps all finished ahead of them in the 2019 Voyageurs Cup. The results from last years tournament should determine placement for this year. That seems most fair to me. How Forge or any other team performs in their league shouldn't take precedence over how they performed in the Voyageurs Cup last year.

That's where I stand, but I am open to hearing some good arguments that may persuade me to think otherwise.

Thoughts?

Edit: I should also add that Ottawa Fury would have been given the bye had they not folded. They finished ahead of Whitecaps, York9 and HFX (and obviously Forge). However, they did fold, which created the tricky situation of who should get the bye. In the end they chose the MLS team.

Edited by Obinna

Seeding should be based on the Voyageurs Cup alone.  Otherwise by dnina10's logic we should be granting an additional bye to Toronto FC as well for finishing as finalists (and actually *technically* earning a CCL birth in MLS - why should they be equal to their MLS counterparts?).  You have to seed based on the Vs Cup - it's the only way.

Edited by CanadaFan123