Forge FC Season Thread 2020

6 hours ago, Lofty said:

Edgar helps but I think the stronger CONCACAF teams will be too tough until CPL increases that salary cap a bit.

Even money to win a round but I think the odds are against going further. Although with a good draw it could certainly happen.

Agree with this, this past season was a good example, Forge did very well to upset the Guatemalan side but up against the Honduran team the class difference was quite apparent! I expect more of the same depending on the draw and quite look forward to another CONCACAF adventure, those were fun matches!

1 hour ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Zis and Balbinotti should fit in with Forge quite nicely, still need another forward as well as some cover in midfield if Borges moves on.

I honestly think Zis could be the guy who slides into a Borges like role if he moves on. Or at least could provide some depth in a similar role. A lack of CBs was always an issue last year as our backline rarely rotated. Nice to add some cover there. Agree that forward is our only real need right now.

1 hour ago, Pottsy3 said:

I honestly think Zis could be the guy who slides into a Borges like role if he moves on. Or at least could provide some depth in a similar role. A lack of CBs was always an issue last year as our backline rarely rotated. Nice to add some cover there. Agree that forward is our only real need right now.

Balbinotti is a forward, I figured he would be depth with Zajac behind Novak.

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting for contract renewal news, but did read an article online from the Hamilton Spectator about Bob Young feeling Forge outperformed his expectations off the field. He gives credit to the TiCats organization which would have been able to access their fan base and putting on excellent game-day experiences. Sorry, can't remember which article nor have a link, but it was in the past week.

Forge showed off the North Star Shield at half-time of the CFL Eastern Final this past Sunday. I missed it as I was buying more beer to fill my just-emptied bladder.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unless some players are moved the Forge are almost complete. If they keep the 2 draft picks they have only 3 spots open and one has to go to a U21.

Roster Building

Returning  18

Released  3 (Owundi, Roberts, Stoddart)

Unknown  `1 (Oyegunle) 

Draft (Balbinotti, Zis)

Open Roster Spots:  3 to 5

U21: 2  (Mohsen, Cela)

International: 3  (Krutzen, Cisse, Jonsson)

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

2 hours ago, grande said:

The link describes Frano as the "alternative captain." That surprise anyone else? He was our yellow card leader last season...

I think I remember Frano wearing the armband last season. Maybe when Bekker was "on vacation?"