Sign in to follow this  
MM3/MM2/MM

Cavalry FC Season Thread 2020

5 hours ago, toontownman said:

Is Cordova still going to play for Cavalry or is he one of the new foreign CPL imports that are now released?

Huge disappointment if Haber is his replacement. If he is there to boost the squad I guess its ok. Absolutley not a fan. I thought he would have done well dropping down to the CPL but he still had a rough year. 

If ugarizza couldn't make it here I doubt Cordova will. 

13 hours ago, toontownman said:

Huge disappointment if Haber is his replacement. If he is there to boost the squad I guess its ok. Absolutley not a fan. I thought he would have done well dropping down to the CPL but he still had a rough year. 

Haber had a rough year for sure, but it was rough because of injuries. As long as he stays healthy he'll be a perfect fit for Cavalry, I reckon. He's a big target man who holds the ball up well and is great at making space for other attacking players, which is perfect for the front 4 they play and the kind of other attacking players they have. And with the service he'd be getting from the likes of Pasquotti and Escalante, I'm sure he'd bop in a fair few himself.

Regardless, Wheeldon said last week that Escalante and Richard Luca are the only players under contract who aren't in training, so that implies Cordova is already with the team.

On 7/24/2020 at 6:01 PM, toontownman said:

REB was a big disappointment last season. Much like Haber though a new environment and better team might help. 

Think just needs a new environment .. played as high as B2 germany. Thinking being at home after being away for soo many years might have presented a different challenges. 

Haber + REB prob the biggest names free agents still available

2 hours ago, yothat2 said:

Think just needs a new environment .. played as high as B2 germany. Thinking being at home after being away for soo many years might have presented a different challenges. 

Haber + REB prob the biggest names free agents still available

Simeon jackson?  Will Johnson? Hume?? Unless you know something about Hume we dont??

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Actually a great signing for them. Gives a different option.

Potentially. Thought he was a great option for Pacific too and would be a front runner for top scorer. 

No Luca, no Escalante (by the looks of it) is a huge blow. Time will tell who they bring in to cover. He should be a solid squad player though and as you say definitely a different option. He has a lot to prove and is likely hungry to succeed/prove doubters wrong because to be honest another season like the last could leave him in a bad place.

Isn't 23 the maximum squad size or has that increased? I assume they are just being given the opportunity to train with the team and impress. I would like each club to do this and have an extended squad. If injuries mount have a young pool could be handy. 

41 minutes ago, narduch said:

Haven't seen anything official but saw this. Wonder if the other clubs will do something similar to fill out their rosters

Maybe they're loaning them to Ottawa! 😄

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

I also wonder if levels have “dropped” due to the unavailability/loss of quality international player’s. 

Probably but so what.. I'm sure 2021 will allow for more imports and more spending 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Probably but so what.. I'm sure 2021 will allow for more imports and more spending 

The upside is we will never know! Nothing to say many of these Canadians won't perform better than some of the foreign talents who will be adapting to a new country and league. Either way it is like a bonus season that provided they aren't thrown in when they aren't ready, will improve our young Canadians no end.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I also wonder if levels have “dropped” due to the unavailability/loss of quality international player’s. 

Valours INT players were a wash out.  I'd rather go with young CDN than bring in INT and have them **** the bed (I'm looking at you Hoyle).  

Former Cavalry player Julian Büscher is now playing with SC Bonner (Regionalliga West, Germany 4th level). His former club, TuS Haltern, was relegated from the Regionalliga.