Cavalry FC Season Thread 2020

Definitely see york and Pacific closing the gap. Forge haven't replaced Borges yet so if anything I'd say that have moved slightly backwards. While it's a tad harsh on the squad, Borges was simply the difference maker last year. The final and possibly 2nd place could have been different without him last year. 

If they secure a quality replacement for buscher cavalry will look at least as strong.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Calgary lost Waterman and the defense is intact??  And Cordova better be good, he has to replace the guy who was #2 scorer in the entire league.  With the moves the other teams have made (yes even WPG) I dont expect we'll see such a lopsided league this year.  

Waterman was actually 3-4 on depth for they Cavs. Malonga sucked, he was carried by his team mates. Statistically he was one of the worst forwards in the league, but the team gave him endless opportunities to score. I too believe the league will be much closer this season. I don’t expect the Cavs or anyone to absolutely dominate the league like last year. 

4 hours ago, Reign said:

Apparently Cavs are bringing in Richard Luca, Mo Farsi, and Elliot Simmons. Very excited about Simmons, seemed to be one of the best player for HFX last season. Farsi could be a top notch prospect, and Luca is pretty unknown but good depth at the very least.

I think people are underestimating what was the general consensus on Cavalry before the start of last season: that they would come last or close to it. We did not properly appreciate the quality of Foothills as PDL (USL2) winner, nor how the continuity of players and the coach would benefit the team. Nor the quality of Wheeldon himself, who seems to get a very high response from his players in all lines and even raises the level of some people under his control. 

I also agree that they are close to where they were last season, they have the best keeper by far, and they have the most balanced system. They simply ran out of gas and failed on the game plan two matches in a row, the finals, they got fairly beaten. 

Or put in another way: improvement on other sides will not mitigate what seems to be deficiencies in coaching, which is what we saw with Valour, clearly the worst IMO, and to a lesser extent York9 and HFX. I don't attribute Pacific's problems as much to coaching as to excess youth, probably because they had eaten up the salary cap unnecessarily with De Jong, Haber and others who were either injured a lot or did not pick up the slack.

I will predict the same finalists as last year in CPL season two.

3 hours ago, Reign said:

Nope. I watched every Cavs game last season. I shouldn’t say Malonga sucked, but he was very over rated. I personally as well as many Cavs fans am glad to see him go. Far to lazy. 

Again with the 'many Cavs fans am [sic] glad to see him go' bs. Top scorer says quite a bit despite his reported shortcomings in movement and willingness to meet and greet ffs.

3 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Again with the 'many Cavs fans am [sic] glad to see him go' bs. Top scorer says quite a bit despite his reported shortcomings in movement and willingness to meet and greet ffs.

This repeated slagging Malonga from supporters because he did not come out to greet you is infantile and shows a lack of impartiality. Those of us who did not need our egos lavished by a player's presence saw him objectively for what he was: top scorer, leading player, integral part of the team. 

It is even worse that you just make up lies to justify your childishness. Plenty of strikers are economical with their movements because otherwise they don't score goals, not all, but a huge percentage. 

Apart from the fact that you know nothing about his own personal situation, where if you were adults you would at least give him the benefit of the doubt.

Try to be a bit objective, and stop with this parading around butthurt.

I’m not a part of the supporters group, and had no interest in meeting Malonga. Didn’t even know about this story you are talking about. I just didn’t like his style of game. Yes he scored goals, but other then that he didn’t do much of anything. Of course you want your striker scoring goals and he did that, but I think he benefitted greatly from the players around him. I could be completely wrong but I expect Cordova to be a better player at that position for us. 

So yeah none of my dislike for his game is a dislike for his character. So chill out.

2 hours ago, Reign said:

I’m not a part of the supporters group, and had no interest in meeting Malonga. Didn’t even know about this story you are talking about. I just didn’t like his style of game. Yes he scored goals, but other then that he didn’t do much of anything. Of course you want your striker scoring goals and he did that, but I think he benefitted greatly from the players around him. I could be completely wrong but I expect Cordova to be a better player at that position for us. 

So yeah none of my dislike for his game is a dislike for his character. So chill out.

I am not referring to you, but at least two bigwigs from the supporters group have come on the board trying to do a character assassination that is totally off the wall.

I mean, no real supporter slags a top goal scorer in a fabulous season in that way, with that much venom. It's abhorent to real supporter culture, which is to support your players, and even more so when they are doing their job.

Yes, I can confirm it’s simmons. I’ve known about him coming in for about a week, just wasn’t sure if it was on trial or actual signing. He will fit the Cavs perfectly. Hell of a midfielder. Just need to get some more defensive depth and Cavs should be good to go.

Eustaquio too. Should have been a big part of Cavalrys midfield and brings a lot of experience. I expect he was more than frustrated with how last year went. Hope he and Serban are back, not sure on Northover. 

With the trialists there are a couple of interesting names. I expected more of Furlano. Interested to see if they pick him up. 

Adekugbe back according to the tweet and the info below which is good news for Cavalry and the league. 

https://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/official-pre-season-training-begins/n-5606163