Cavalry FC Season Thread 2020

1 hour ago, Ed_S said:

I've been on this board and its predecessors for a long time and have been a supporter of local clubs since the Calgary Storm days. You take me to task because I don't buy your 'most supporters don't want him back' comment? Get off your high horse man. I read the entirety of your post and stand by the fact that he scored the most goals on the club and that won't be easy to replace.

I seriously doubt that Cavalry will have a season as good as this first in terms of W/D/L in the next five years, maybe more. Another thing is if they can grab a trophy regardless. It is so classless just to diss their key players in the amazing success of the team for petty baseless motives.

10 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Really? He seems like a close talker.  😁

Haha.  No not at all.  Just a good guy.  Came up to me after in the boarding area and wished me a safe flight, as he was on the team flight a half hour earlier.  He didn't have to do that.  I respect the guy.  

21 hours ago, Obinna said:

I for one am excited about Cordova. He scored a lot of goals in the Peruvian second division. I see he did so most recently with Juan Aurich, which was surprising as I never knew they got relegated. I thought they were a solid first division club. I now see though that their history is hmm...complicated. they went through some restructuring in the recent past, it seems. Regardless, they have a current Panamanian international on their books and have won Copa Peru in 2007, so for Cavalry to get one of their top strikers is quite an achievement. I am sure he will make up for the loss of Malonga, if he indeed leaves Calgary.

On the CPL web site, they have Cordova listed as Canadian on the Calgary roster (in and out article).  That can't be true, is it?

On 1/23/2020 at 2:26 PM, shermanator said:

Agreed on that front. I would argue interest in the national team has never been higher in Calgary, at least since I have been following them. You can also get rational conversation on the national team, and Cavalry, in many more places now. There's more Cavalry talk on CalgaryPuck then there ever will be here.

Thanks, but no thanks. I wouldn't go out of my way to frequent a hockey message board just for Cavalry banter. I get what I need around here.

And besides, I am more of a country over club sort of guy. That's why I keep coming back here. If there's a better place for national team talk I haven't heard of it.

Cool to know Cavalry are discussed elsewhere though. The community has seemed to embrace the club!

The success of Cavalry is fantastic for the local game here in Calgary. It gives our talent something to strive for and provides a critical rung in the player development ladder.

Most importantly though (for me), a successful Cavalry ultimately lends itself to the Canadian national team!

From that perspective, I wish all of our professional clubs success, but of course I support my local cpl club before the others...

Buscher is a very important player, more so than Adekugbe. I like both of them and hope they both return, but if Adekugbe signs on with Valerenga, it would be such a success on so many levels.

Elijah would not get such an opportunity if he was still playing with Foothills. Kudos for Cavalry for putting him the exposure for such a trial.

I am getting ahead of myself, but if he signs with them and actually starts playing for them, I think CanMNT call-ups could soon follow...

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Buscher is a very important player, more so than Adekugbe. I like both of them and hope they both return, but if Adekugbe signs on with Valerenga, it would be such a success on so many levels.

Elijah would not get such an opportunity if he was still playing with Foothills. Kudos for Cavalry for putting him the exposure for such a trial.

I am getting ahead of myself, but if he signs with them and actually starts playing for them, I think CanMNT call-ups could soon follow...

Buscher was more important than Adekugbe. But Adekugbe should have been starting over Ledgerwood imo

5 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

Buscher was more important than Adekugbe. But Adekugbe should have been starting over Ledgerwood imo

I kind of agree with you. I was a little surprised that Adekugbe's minutes tapered off later in the season, but I think Wheeldon did a good job overall rotating between the two of them. Competition is good.

Edited by Obinna