Sign in to follow this  
MM3/MM2/MM

Cavalry FC Season Thread 2020

Escalante is a huge loss character wise. He played the league villain so well. Really though both he and Malonga were likely on reasonable wages and could be replaced. Wont be easy and will certainly hurt for Cavalry fans as they had a huge impact this year. Anything but an upgrade will feel like a disspointment.

On 12/18/2019 at 7:25 AM, toontownman said:

Escalante is a huge loss character wise. He played the league villain so well. Really though both he and Malonga were likely on reasonable wages and could be replaced. Wont be easy and will certainly hurt for Cavalry fans as they had a huge impact this year. Anything but an upgrade will feel like a disspointment.

Calgary has another couple villians to fill Escalante's shoes.  I wont miss him....(coming from a Valour fan hehe).  

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Cavalry are still going to be hard to be. Big fan of Adekugbe, thought he was impressive, good movement, detetmined and worked hard. Waterman was impressive at the back. Anyone know if Mavilla has signed on for another season?

Potentially interesting but could as likely be innocent or even trolling!

Cant blame any players wanting to make that step up to CPL but I hope those that do, do so because they have a realistic shot of getting minutes and not rotting on the bench. I think where the latter might be a reality players would still have the mentality that given the chance they could make a positive impression to get a bigger role so I dont think that or the likely rise in wage would put them off. 

Interested to see where he ends up as he was a real breakout player last year. 

Great signing. While Jair Cordova never got a chance to prove himself in Peru's top flight, he was great in the second division which is not that much worse than current CPL. 23 goals for Alianza Atletico in 2018 if I recall correctly. Wasn't bad for Juan Aurich either.

3 minutes ago, Zem said:

https://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/calcio-estero/tmw-ricordate-malonga-dopo-il-canada-offerta-dalla-mongolia-1338138

Malonga has apparently been offered a one-year contract worth $400,000 by Inner Mongolia Zhongyou in China's second tier.

This twitter accounts claims the deal is official, but I can't find anything actually confirming it.

Any clue if he was on a multiyear at Cavalry?

12 minutes ago, Zem said:

https://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/calcio-estero/tmw-ricordate-malonga-dopo-il-canada-offerta-dalla-mongolia-1338138

Malonga has apparently been offered a one-year contract worth $400,000 by Inner Mongolia Zhongyou in China's second tier.

This twitter accounts claims the deal is official, but I can't find anything actually confirming it.

I guess that's better than Outer Mongolia.

Shame. Obviously a big loss but not replaceable. Would certainly have preferred him staying over Minatel but the wages probably tell on that. Some extra pressure on Cordovas shoulders :)

Not sure on the contract length but remember reading quotes about the first season where he was talking about how "We" will do this better and that better etc. which at the time sounded positive for him staying. 

I know people in Calgary will wish he stayed, but this is huge for the league. Doing well in one year in the CPL got him a $400k contract in another league. Do we think he really improved that much in one season at his age? Probably not. But our league is really visible with onesoccer showing every minutes of every game.... much easier for teams to scout. Internationals agents will now know this is a league that can really get their players name out there and potentially get a big pay raise.

3 hours ago, BradMack said:

I know people in Calgary will wish he stayed, but this is huge for the league.

Actually, most supporters in Calgary will be happy to see Malonga go. We're very excited for the addition of Cordova and to see Pepple get an extended run of games.

Yes, Malonga was second in the league in goals, but he rarely gave any effort on the pitch, and not once even looked at the supporters after a game. If he put in the effort of Jordan Brown he would have won the Golden Boot by a large margin. And he single handedly cost us the finals with his botched chances in the second leg.

I know he was very homesick over the course of the season with his family back in Europe. The one game where his family was in Calgary, he scored two, had another incorrectly ruled off for offside, and hit the bar.