Cavalry FC Season Thread 2020

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Yeah...he would probably be a INT to the american MLS clubs. If I am remembering the murky MLS rules correctly.   

He shouldn't count as a INT because his first professional contract was with a MLS team if I am remembering the murky MLS rules correctly. 

7 hours ago, Shway said:

He shouldn't count as a INT because his first professional contract was with a MLS team if I am remembering the murky MLS rules correctly. 

He has never signed a contract with an MLS team, so he would be a foreign player on an American MLS team. Signing for Whitecaps 2 doesn't count.

Edited by Zem

Here's what the rule says on MLS' website, so I guess it just depends on whether any of his youth clubs qualify. I don't believe we ever actually got a list:

Homegrown International Rule

Any player who meets the requirements to qualify as a Homegrown Player as a member of an MLS club academy, either in the U.S. or Canada, or has met similar requirements as a member of a Canadian Approved Youth Club+ , will count as a domestic player (i.e., he will not occupy an international roster slot) on both U.S. and Canadian club rosters provided that:

• the player became a member of an MLS club academy, either in the U.S. or Canada, or a Canadian Approved Youth Club in the year prior to the year in which he turns 16; and
  • the player signs his first professional contract with MLS or an MLS club's USL affiliate.

We also have to remember that the players aren't just going to jump to MLS just for the sake of it. Assuming that Cavalry raised his pay to keep him and MLS minimum salary is 70k, players have to evaluate "money vs. playing time" and the best way for their value to go up.

I was listening to the French podcast Culture Soccer this morning and they talked about Tristan Borges. Going to MLS is good but if you're going to be benched most of the time, how does that helps you? Borges could choose to stay and try to repeat which would increase his value and open him to more opportunities.

Same for Zator, he needs to keep playing 90 minutes constantly, not go somewhere and get benched. Lots of minutes, consistency and growth is what eventually get you the best opportunity. Borges is most likely gone regardless but I wouldn't be surprised if young CPL guys that did very well choose to stay

Zator had a good season, but now he must go out and have another. He wasn't so dominant that he's outgrown the CanPL already.

There are many parts of his game still to round out at this level before taking a jump up, especially if he is going to continue at right back.

I would like to see him contribute more offensive from the right back spot next year, while continuing to be reliable defensively.

Roster Building

Returning  11  Released  0

Unknown  13 (Mavila, Malonga, Pasquotti, Escalante,  Buescher, Wheeldon, Hamilton, Northover, Eustaquio, Patino, Loturi, Fakunle, Serban) 

In  3   Hernandez   Draft (Bitar, El Gandour) 

Open Roster Spots:  0 to 11

U21: 2 to 4

International: 2 to 6

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

30 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

If Cavalry wants to be weaker, sure. I think Hermandez is mostly here to get quality U21 minutes.

I agree with this assessment. Cavalry are looking for some decent U21 players to meet their 1000-minute requirement, without causing issues for the team. With Foothills having been raided last year, it'll take a year or two for their more direct supply-line to restock (although they performed pretty well again with past season).