FC Edmonton Season Thread 2020

23 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I have to agree.  He's hyped as a massive ball playing defender but if that was true he would be at a higher level.  He isn't even a top 5 CD in CPL for me and I hope the MNT will leave him to domestic camps. 

It's like his move to CPL came with the incentive that they would be a PR team for him.  I don't understand how we have endless hype for Didic but no one even suggests calling Gasparotto to the MNT.  It's baffling. 

Well he is a great ball-playing defender, which is why he's playing at a higher level with the CMNT, while Gasparotto is not. Gasparotto is a similarly great CB overall, but his style of play doesn't suit the CMNT's system the way Didic does. Being a top CB in the CPL doesn't guarantee that you'll move on to a bigger league after only one season.

The fact that he wasn't successful in his trial with the Whitecaps doesn't say anything about his ability relative to other CPL CBs, although what maybe does say something is the fact that he got an MLS trial while others didn't.

Slightly surprised Paulus is letting Ajay Khabra go (albeit begrudgingly according to the cpl article). Surely they must be bringing in another better player or two. Paulus said "don't forget Zebie can play in the middle." That is great but who is playing left back lol. 

Squad is leaning heavily on their young players right now. They need a couple more pieces of quality to be competitive given the majority of other teams really pushing hard.  

Edited by toontownman

2 hours ago, yothat2 said:

Khabra is probably better than most of the young guys. 

Maybe he ll land with Ottawa ?! 

The fact that they have an article about a players that's gone, probably means he's signed somewhere else yeah. It almost has to be AO. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was fearing FC Edmonton would be not so competitive this year after seeing some of the other teams at the bottom of the table adding possible difference making players, but I think the Aleman signing is one of the biggest of the offseason.

FCE was lacking that type of creativity in the midfield, but with Keven in the middle and if Boakai can be anything like his past FCE self, this team got a lot more exciting. (and with an already strong defensive core, and the X Factor Ongaro up top)

It feels to me that just about every CPL team outside of last year's top 2 was able to add at least one or two Canadians who could be amongst the top of the league at their position next season.

York9: Petrasso, Manella

Pacific: Bustos, TMG, Irving

Valour: Aird, Levis, Pantemis

HFX: LBG, Riggi, Sissoko

FCE: Boakai, Aleman

Ottawa: Fisk and who knows who else (Tissot would be a huge get)

Add in all of the international players whom I do not know nearly as much about, and we may have a much more even table from top to bottom next season.

Edited by Pottsy3

Jeff Paulus doesn't looks so MAD after all. The roster has alot more balance with the Aleman signing.

Doesn't look so shabby! Amoebi can bag some goals then fced has a shot of being competitive.

Used all the international spots while to have a local presence on the roster.

• 1 month later...