MM3/MM2/MM

York9 - Season Thread 2020

24 minutes ago, Viruk42 said:

This is good, but I would suggest that your personal experiences may not speak to the whole. Canada is obviously not the worst place for this kind of thing, but you can see example after example after example of instances of racism in European football. In Canada it tends to mostly take place in hockey and is more directed towards Indigenous peoples, but there is still a **** ton of racism here.

Tell that to the women who have to choose between wearing a hijab or having a job in Quebec. Tell that to those fear mongering about refugees from the Middle East. Tell that to east Asian people being viewed as carriers of the coronavirus. Tell that to Senator Lynn Beyak who published racist letters about Indigenous people on her website.  Tell that to people who still regularly hear slurs directed towards them (such as the first four letters of the nation of Pakistan, which was an especially commonly used insult when I was growing up). Tell that to my Arab partner who gets pulled aside for "random" screening every ******* time.

You might personally be lucky and have somehow avoided racism being directed towards you, but that does not seem to match up to the lived experience of many other minority groups.

People that act like ****** human beings don't have much going on with their lives in the first place. 

Just ignore them and move on with your day. 

Posted (edited)

So we have a white guy now calling a minority a white supremacist.  This, together with the virtue signalling supporters group, just about sums up the whackiness you get from the far left these days.  What's next?  Robbie Rogers is a homophobe?  

I do like @Unnamed Trialist 's posts when they are on topic but the need to infuse every discussion with some sort of left-wing conspiracy spin is tiring, if not comical.  I had no idea he was threatening mods, the site in general and calling for bans - that is quite simply fascist behaviour.  

Edited by CanadaFan123

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

So we have a white guy now calling a minority a white supremacist.  This, together with the virtue signalling supporters group, just about sums up the whackiness you get from the far left these days.  What's next?  Robbie Rogers is a homophobe?  

I do like @Unnamed Trialist 's posts when they are on topic but the need to infuse every discussion with some sort of left-wing conspiracy spin is tiring, if not comical.  

I feel like even though lots of us disagree on the issues, for the most part our interactions are civilized and productive... except UT. This is why I blocked him ages ago. His go to is personal attacks and denigration. 

People, we all see race and gender, let's stop kidding ourselves with this rhetoric that we don't see race or gender anymore because it's 2020.

That said, the word racist and sexist gets used too easily. To be a racist or a sexist is to discriminate based on race or gender. To simply acknowledge or to see race or gender is not racist or sexist. You peeps on both sides are both taking these concepts too loosely.

Just keep in mind that any gaslighting from either sides is just very likely to lead to the re-closure of these forums, which honestly all things considered would be an awful shame. Let's chill, and be thankful we got a local CPL side to support in what is hopefully the last Canadian national soccer league this nation will have. Because we need to see Yorky come through in the year 2100 or whatever year it was he was born in, lol.

35 minutes ago, RS said:

Imagine being this confident about being so naive. 

This convo is over. Post about York9 in here or don’t post at all.

Take your own advice.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, RS said:

Imagine being this confident about being so naive. 

This convo is over. Post about York9 in here or don’t post at all.

It's my experience and that shapes how I view things. You haven't lived in my shoes. 

Edit: just saw the posts above. Alright, let's move on. 

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, ironcub14 said:

I'm going to give my controversial Y9 take that I've never said before, just so people can jump on me on this topic instead ;)

My take is, there is no freaking way Morey Doner should have won Y9 PotY. That's got to be some online vote that his friends and family must have helped out.

Yes, Doner was a very very solid defensive player, one of the best defenders and tacklers we have for sure, he made his flank an island vs wingers at times. Doner Island.

But offensively, he was one of the worst among the starters we had. People seem to remember that one rocket volley he had, and he got a few assists off regular ass crosses, any fullback should get at least a couple.

But his technique, his dribbling, his crossing, etc, I've been watching Y9 replays offseason, about to watch another one tonight, and in my mind, there is zero way Doner should have won Y9 PotY.

I'd have given it to Luca or Ingham. They definitely had their share of errors mid-season, but overall, you could tell those two were the reason why our defense was so rock solid all year long. A shout to Telfer for his obvious super-talent, and Abzi for his overall skills.

How DARE you?! 

ha ha... Doner‘s is a great story, but I agree that Ingham may have been more deserving. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I do like @Unnamed Trialist 's posts when they are on topic but the need to infuse every discussion with some sort of left-wing conspiracy spin is tiring, if not comical.  I had no idea he was threatening mods, the site in general and calling for bans - that is quite simply fascist behaviour.  

No one in here is "far left." This high school-level of political understanding is embarrassing, has no place on this forum, and it's the reason this thread is now locked.

1 hour ago, Lofty said:

Take your own advice.

Says the guy who contributed to the conversation that got the forum temporarily shut down yesterday. 

This thread is now locked because too many in here cannot help themselves. @ironcub14's most recent post is a good place to start a new Y9 season thread, so let's do that.