MM3/MM2/MM

York9 - Season Thread 2020

To go back to Y9 for a second, the reason I enjoy reading but never do expected starting lineups before the season is that there are just way too many surprises and unknown variables and fierce competition for the spots.

Just to take one example, we started the 2019 season with Telfer and Porter as our wingbacks in a 5-3-2. We ended the 2019 season with Abzi and Doner solidly ingrained as our fullbacks in a 4-3-3, with Telfer as our main winger and Porter as one of our CMs. The team changed dramatically over the year.

It likely won't since this is the club's 2nd season obviously, but who knows how some of those competitions for the spots may end up coming out in preseason and over the regular season? Looking forward to the preseason fixtures for sure. Maybe we'll even get to watch them this time around. 

20 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

If you feel so good about yourself please explain the difference. Let's understand the perspective. Apparently we need to treat people different based on their appearance. Please go on

Ha ha, my post was actually IN SUPPORT of your post. Sorry if you misunderstood because I quoted you.

Just to be clear, I do not divide people based along racial lines. And I certainly did not say or imply otherwise above! But I can't help noticing those who do.

On topic.. Dames of York or any other group forming to drive more people in to soccer stadiums in this country is exactly what we need. That's it, that's all. Sorry if I sound aggressive but there are certain things that get my blood boiling. I'm sure people can appreciate it

1 hour ago, Stouffvillain said:

My start of pre-season opening day lineup is:

--------------------------------Ugarriza--------------------------

Petrasso------------------------------------------Vasconcelos

------------Aparicio--------Mannella---------Murofushi------

Abzi----------Gasparotto------Thompson-----------Doner

-----------------------------Ingham------------------------------------

I really think that the early start to training with the returning domestic players will pay off with a quick start to the season.  Three of our first five matches (3 of first 4 home matches) are against clubs that have had a large turnover or are brand new.  I like our chances of being in double digit points after 5 matches.  

I like it, don't sleep on Arnone though. He was hfx's mvp and they had a solid defense.

6 minutes ago, Rintaran said:

Just reloaded my page, nothing is hidden...

Got ya, I see them now. Not sure what happened, could be my internet cache or something, I'll just move on from it, thanks man. My bad if I'm in the wrong here. 

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

What is a non white fan? And reversely what is a white fan? I genuinely would like to know

I think it's very important we understand how the racist mind works. Please tell us how you distinguish these different people and what makes them different. It's important you clarify

23 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

When someone tells me we need to categorize people because they fundamentally think they are different and then treat them differently based on the definition you chose for them. That's the most racist trash I've ever heard and take it very personal. It has no place in this country and no place on this forum

I'll clarify. Race is a social construct, but its continued resonance through histories of marginalization and systemic racism makes it a reality in our society. Unless you want to deny colonialization, slavery, indentured servitude and its continued relevance in the form of income disparities, disproportionate incarceration, etc., it's clear that race, despite its lack of groundings in biological differences, carry social weight.

Pointing out that people in our society are arbitrarily categorized and face differential treatment, thus necessitating the need for policies and practices to ensure inclusion, is not akin to doing the categorization. This of course applies to gender and sexuality (to bring it back to where this conversation began). And guess what, calling out discrimination is a good first step to ensuring that people confronted with discrimination feel comfortable participating in certain spaces. I know as a racialized supporter myself, I haven't always felt welcome Canadian football spaces, and this type of discussion right now doesn't help. I am just thankful that most people here recognize the need to address these issues in the sport.

Edit: Re-reading my initial post and the response, I wonder if there might be confusion about what I meant. From my recollection, though a mod has contested it, @Unnamed Trialist was banned after a discussion where he had complained that football fandom spaces seem to be predominantly white, and that non-white fans don't always feel welcome in the space. Macksam then suggested that this complaint was 'bigotry against white people'. I am saying that Macksam's response is groundless. As groundless as suggestions that anti-racism efforts are themselves 'reverse racism'.

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

1 hour ago, Stouffvillain said:

My start of pre-season opening day lineup is:

--------------------------------Ugarriza--------------------------

Petrasso------------------------------------------Vasconcelos

------------Aparicio--------Mannella---------Murofushi------

Abzi----------Gasparotto------Thompson-----------Doner

-----------------------------Ingham------------------------------------

I really think that the early start to training with the returning domestic players will pay off with a quick start to the season.  Three of our first five matches (3 of first 4 home matches) are against clubs that have had a large turnover or are brand new.  I like our chances of being in double digit points after 5 matches.  

I guess it's inherently going to be speculative at this stage. But based just on pedigree wonder if Brian Lopez slots in over Murofushi (as much as I love Wataru).

I do think it's a testament to the high standards of international signings that I really have no clue who should start. Nicholas Hamilton is another one who has done so well in the Jamaican league, and whom I think can make an impact.

The backline though is probably where we can build more consensus around. As much as Arnone has done well with HFX, I really liked the Gasparotto Thompson partnership. Just hope Thompson can stay healthy. Fullbacks are a lock

I think most people have hit the nail on the head:

1) Dames of York = more fans = good

2) Exclusive group = bad

To my knowledge this is the only supporters group in North America that is made for a specific gender... maybe this would be a good idea if it was warranted but the fact is that every supporters end in this country flies an LGBTQ2S+ flag and carry banners that say "everyone welcome".  So this group's creation with a message that seems to go contrary to those values is pretty hilarious. 

If the group wants to cater to female fans that's great but this group is too ironic not to laugh at.  I honestly wish nothing but the best for them but it comes across as an extreme lack of self awareness.   

6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Well if race is social construct congratulations on continuing that terrible tradition. Enjoy life being a rascist

I don't even follow what your complaint is.

Are you suggesting that my claim that certain groups of people face racism and that we need to practice anti-racism is itself racist?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I don't even follow what your complaint is.

Are you suggesting that my claim that certain groups of people face racism and that we need to practice anti-racism is itself racist?

Your racial social construct is racism. And rascist people always feel the need to spread racism. That's why it needs to be pointed out and stopped

You should take the time to understand my point. Its very important. I'm sure your a good person and you should try and live a life free of rascism. I understand it's not easy but it's the future my friend 

Edited by SpursFlu

9 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I guess it's inherently going to be speculative at this stage. But based just on pedigree wonder if Brian Lopez slots in over Murofushi (as much as I love Wataru).

I do think it's a testament to the high standards of international signings that I really have no clue who should start. Nicholas Hamilton is another one who has done so well in the Jamaican league, and whom I think can make an impact.

The backline though is probably where we can build more consensus around. As much as Arnone has done well with HFX, I really liked the Gasparotto Thompson partnership. Just hope Thompson can stay healthy. Fullbacks are a lock

Lopez and Hamilton are wildcards to me coming from a level below racing's reserve squad and the Jamaican league. They both could start. With petrasso being injury prone, Hamilton will get a shot at some point. 

I think vasconcelos is a lock to start at rw. Abzi,Luca, doner are locks. I guess Manny is as well. Outside of that there should be competition at the other positions outside of GK. 

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

I your racial social construct is racism

What does that mean?

That the well established notion of race as a social construct is racism? To elaborate, we say it's a social construct as the genetic differences between so called different races carry no significance. Findings from the human genome project have indicated that genetic variations within supposed racial groups are far larger than presumed. A European person may well be closer in genetics to an Asian person than a fellow European for example.

This knowledge helps us break down the notion used centrally to justify racism - though of course it has since morphed into cultural notions of race, but that hasn't been brought up yet.

Posted (edited)

Calling people names like "racist" is rarely productive. It is better to discuss the underlying issues (i.e. the thing they said or did that makes you want to call them "racist").

Edited by Lofty

Racism is the underlying issue and people aren't racist. It's a behavior and mindset. Change is the only constant in life and we all have the ability. Especially in the beautiful country of Canada. Made most beautiful by the beautiful people who comprise it

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lofty said:

It amuses me that those who sanctimoniously call others racist are the ones who most often try to divide us along racial lines! Their lack of self awareness is astonishing! 😂

Edit: Oh, and that is not a political statement. It is just "biological and social language". 😆

My internet cache is acting up, I'm just seeing this. This must be for both me and for YSG, since he brought up the topic about the Trialist's discussion on supporter sections, and since you bring up what I said about biological and social aspects for transsexuals and women in the Y9 SS. Though you most definitely haven't seen me call someone a racist here, so that better not be for myself. 

I'm kind of sick of both sides in this conversation, frankly. I'll sum my position up as briefly as possible, and then move on with my life. 

I'm frankly not really worried about the lack of women or visible minorities in the stands. It's each individual's choice to attend a live football match, and it's each individual's choice to sit or stand where they want to in the stadium. We can't force people to attend matches or come into the stands, and I've never seen anybody excluded from attending a match or coming into the stands in Canada on gender or racial grounds. So nope, not really worried about that issue there. 

That said, if we do have a new SG that seeks to provide an inclusive safe space or whatever you or they want to call it in the SS for those who identify as women, then that's a worthy cause for sure. Are some of you guys actually worried about reverse sexism or something? Lmfao. Or are you really that concerned about the language? It's literally biological and social variables that leads to some males to identify as females, that's what the language was referring to. It's not political whatsoever. The only thing political is the reverse sexism. Which if you are worried about then we got a whole bunch of dudes who are happy to laugh in your face lmfao. Are you saddened that you are a male who can't join a female SG? Bruh, the whole point of the word inclusive is that it includes those that are in the smallest minority, those are transsexuals, it's not for us dudes. We got Gen IX. We got the whole supporters section. Stop getting all worked up about the word "inclusive". And yep, we are all aware that women have the whole SS as well. If they want to form a group within it, that's all fine stuff. 

I'm in Y9 discussions on FB, Twitter, Reddit, Discord, and this forum, and this forum is the only one sensitive enough to get into a weekend-long discussion about the "political" language of the Dames lmao. I'd ask some of you to look for a balanced middle ground within this debate. 

Edited by ironcub14

3 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

My internet cache is acting up, I'm just seeing this. This must be for both me and for YSG, since he brought up the topic about the Trialist's discussion on supporter sections, and since you bring up what I said about biological and social aspects for transsexuals and women in the Y9 SS. Though you most definitely haven't seen me call someone a racist here, so that better not be for myself. 

My first statement was general and not aimed at anyone specific.

As for the second, I guess we can just agree to disagree on whether certain language is "political". Not a big deal either way.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

You should take the time to understand my point. Its very important. I'm sure your a good person and you should try and live a life free of rascism. I understand it's not easy but it's the future my friend 

I am trying to, and I think folks reading my posts can appreciate that it's a good faith engagement in trying to understand - but I can't help but think that comments like 'live a life free of racism' and 'it's the future my friend' is hardly good faith. I will gladly retract if I am misreading.

Folks on this board that know me in person know that much of my professional and community organizating background is in the area of anti-racism and migrant justice, whether in my teaching, writing, research. I've literally been swamped in these past 2-3 months responding to covid19 based racism, the amount of racist **** we've received at the Chinese Canadian National Council and the need to address the immediate consequences of mass layoffs. That's just some context about where I am coming from.

I mean if you think all this work = racism. Then I guess the conversation ends here. That's why I am sounding like a broken record here. But if you are trying to get at something else, I am all ears.

I also have no clue how an off hand comment I made at defending UT against unfair characterization and a general comment about how discrimination still exists in society and it'd be good to create inclusive spaces everywhere has devolved into this?

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

I love when i come to the board looking for the U-23 roster and I end up doing a deep dive in WIKIPEDIA reading up on social contructs, post moderism, parametric determinism and moral relativism.  Ah the things you miss out on.....

Ricci is in training camp with Valor...was he any good last year with y9?  

Just now, Bison44 said:

I love when i come to the board looking for the U-23 roster and I end up doing a deep dive in WIKIPEDIA reading up on social contructs, post moderism, parametric determinism and moral relativism.  Ah the things you miss out on.....

Ricci is in training camp with Valor...was he any good last year with y9?  

I don't think we saw enough of him to pass much judgment. All I know is he had a huge fan club come to games. The times he did play, he seemed to show flashes of skills but I don't remember him being productive at all. In terms of the players that left York, he wouldn't be at the top in terms of folks that I would think would get another shot in the league. I think Gogarty, Cox, Furlano, Zambasis for example have all shown so much more

You sound good intentioned but at some point we need to elevate and think about our shared future. Please take the time to really think about what I said. I'll get off this thread because it's gotten too far from football but remember the only thing we can fully control are our own thoughts and behaviours 

45 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Your racial social construct is racism. And rascist people always feel the need to spread racism. That's why it needs to be pointed out and stopped

For the degree that this sort of posting is deliberate provocation and based on alt-right theories, this poster should be banned from the board. Mods?

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

I like it, don't sleep on Arnone though. He was hfx's mvp and they had a solid defense.

I can’t remember much about Arnone. How do you think he rates compared to our other CBs?