York9 - Season Thread 2020

Gogarty surprises me as I thought that he was pretty good this season and held his own.  Furlano seemed like a useful tool to have in your pocket but ultimately he didn't make himself irreplaceable. I thought Ricci played well when given the opportunity however with Karajovanovic now drafted I can see why he is let go. 

Can't say that Lamanna, Rollocks and Silva are shocking as they saw almost no time on the field.  Surprised Cox wasn't on that list actually. 

39 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

Gogarty surprises me as I thought that he was pretty good this season and held his own.  Furlano seemed like a useful tool to have in your pocket but ultimately he didn't make himself irreplaceable. I thought Ricci played well when given the opportunity however with Karajovanovic now drafted I can see why he is let go. 

Can't say that Lamanna, Rollocks and Silva are shocking as they saw almost no time on the field.  Surprised Cox wasn't on that list actually. 

Yea, I am very shocked about Gogarty. He was a very solid backup, and was tidy at CB (while offering some flexibility as he can play as FB too).

But right now I am freaking out about rumours that Gattas posted thanks for the memories message on IG. Sigh .. the league needs to be consolidating its stars not releasing them (if he does leave I hope it's cuz he found a bigger club and not because york didn't want him...)

If that is true Y9 will have a lot of fire power to replace without Gattas and Telfer. 

I like Gattas but feel as though he wasn't clinical enough for the number of chances he had.  Outside of his hat-trick against HFX he was scoring at just over a goal every 3 games, respectable but nothing to drool over. 

EDIT: With that said, I wouldn't want to lose him right now. 

Edited by Stouffvillain

I think there are a few USL targets that would go well on York9. Would be great to sign a guy like Karl Ouimette for CB to pair with Gasparotto. As for a Telfer replacement, I think Carl Haworth would be a good fit there. He can also play a number of different positions which is helpful for the small roster sizes of CPL

On 11/15/2019 at 10:42 AM, Ingham said:

I agree with the departures. None left an impact (though Gogarty has his moments). I’m really happy Kyle Porter is being kept too. Some of the takes that he’s been garbage for York 9 are ludicrous in my opinion.

Porter and Di Chiara were pretty much nearly unanimously considered the weakest links in the starting XI for most of the season. Seems a couple late season goals and penalties have turned opinion slightly more positive, but they were the two clear obvious black holes in possession.

Easy giveaways on the ball, too many numerous missed passes. My guess is that either their salaries or their hometown statuses was what kept them in the starting lineup. They were above average defensively in the side as well. But the two clear obvious black holes on attack.

Edited by ironcub14

The Open Trials was the one thing that I could talk about during the year if I wanted to talk about CPL to my buddies without being pushy about coming to watch a game.

It's obviously a huge thing for many GTA soccer fans out there to actually come watch a Y9 game if they arent in the CanSoc mindset and if they go watch maybe 1-2 TFC games a year. But for the guys who play soccer relatively seriously and are in their 20s, it definitely piques their interest when you tell them about these open tryouts that they have for a professional soccer team here in the GTA. An easy share on the team group chat for sure, great for Y9 to do this again this offseason.

10 hours ago, Lofty said:

I know what you are saying and while I was certainly in favour of the inaugural season try outs, I think that needs to be the end of it because going forward it looks very amateurish.

It shouldn't be framed as an " open try out".  But there should still be a way for the teams to scout these players at little cost - think of how many guys came out of trials and it was actually impressive.  Some of these Asian players would never have been discovered and we still need to find a way to uncover hidden gems.  

How about a way for players to submit a resume and earn a spot at a sort of trial camp/combine?  This way you don't get all these unrealistic people but you still get some guys who may have professional experience like Son.  I'd expect that we could get even more of these players since the league showed well in year one.

Edited by CanadaFan123

22 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It shouldn't be framed as an " open try out".  But there should still be a way for the teams to scout these players at little cost - think of how many guys came out of trials and it was actually impressive.  Some of these Asian players would never have been discovered and we still need to find a way to uncover hidden gems.  

How about a way for players to submit a resume and earn a spot at a sort of trial camp/combine?  This way you don't get all these unrealistic people but you still get some guys who may have professional experience like Son.  I'd expect that we could get even more of these players since the league showed well in year one.

For sure, I think that's why the one Y9 is doing this offseason is specifically a U21 camp, instead of open tryouts. And I'm sure players around the world and their agents are constantly submitting their resumes/highlights/references with the various coaching staffs to try to get preseason trial spots and etc. 

6 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

I thought Adjei's hold-up play was the best in the team all season, all things considered. Whether people felt it was relatively good or bad depends on how one feels about the club overall within the scheme of things. 

He was thé only number 9 who played much. 

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

He was thé only number 9 who played much. 

For a reason, probably. Cox was okay, but mysteriously absent for so much of the season, especially away matches and the end of the season. Rollocks for me still has some ways to go. He's at least better up top than he is at wing. 

6 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

For a reason, probably. Cox was okay, but mysteriously absent for so much of the season, especially away matches and the end of the season. Rollocks for me still has some ways to go. He's at least better up top than he is at wing. 

None of the strikers do it for me. I’d like to see someone new brought in, even if Adjei is kept as depth. 

• RS locked this topic