Jump to content
MM3/MM2/MM

York9 - Season Thread 2020

Recommended Posts

Cuts: Defenders Daniel Gogarty and Steven Furlano, forwards Austin Ricci, Stefan Lamanna and Cyrus Rollocks, and goalkeeper Matthew Silva were announced as the departures. 

 

Edited by Ansem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gogarty surprises me as I thought that he was pretty good this season and held his own.  Furlano seemed like a useful tool to have in your pocket but ultimately he didn't make himself irreplaceable. I thought Ricci played well when given the opportunity however with Karajovanovic now drafted I can see why he is let go. 

Can't say that Lamanna, Rollocks and Silva are shocking as they saw almost no time on the field.  Surprised Cox wasn't on that list actually. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

Gogarty surprises me as I thought that he was pretty good this season and held his own.  Furlano seemed like a useful tool to have in your pocket but ultimately he didn't make himself irreplaceable. I thought Ricci played well when given the opportunity however with Karajovanovic now drafted I can see why he is let go. 

Can't say that Lamanna, Rollocks and Silva are shocking as they saw almost no time on the field.  Surprised Cox wasn't on that list actually. 

 

Yea, I am very shocked about Gogarty. He was a very solid backup, and was tidy at CB (while offering some flexibility as he can play as FB too).

But right now I am freaking out about rumours that Gattas posted thanks for the memories message on IG. Sigh .. the league needs to be consolidating its stars not releasing them (if he does leave I hope it's cuz he found a bigger club and not because york didn't want him...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that is true Y9 will have a lot of fire power to replace without Gattas and Telfer. 

I like Gattas but feel as though he wasn't clinical enough for the number of chances he had.  Outside of his hat-trick against HFX he was scoring at just over a goal every 3 games, respectable but nothing to drool over. 

EDIT: With that said, I wouldn't want to lose him right now. 

Edited by Stouffvillain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there are a few USL targets that would go well on York9. Would be great to sign a guy like Karl Ouimette for CB to pair with Gasparotto. As for a Telfer replacement, I think Carl Haworth would be a good fit there. He can also play a number of different positions which is helpful for the small roster sizes of CPL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 10:42 AM, Ingham said:

I agree with the departures. None left an impact (though Gogarty has his moments). I’m really happy Kyle Porter is being kept too. Some of the takes that he’s been garbage for York 9 are ludicrous in my opinion.

Porter and Di Chiara were pretty much nearly unanimously considered the weakest links in the starting XI for most of the season. Seems a couple late season goals and penalties have turned opinion slightly more positive, but they were the two clear obvious black holes in possession.

Easy giveaways on the ball, too many numerous missed passes. My guess is that either their salaries or their hometown statuses was what kept them in the starting lineup. They were above average defensively in the side as well. But the two clear obvious black holes on attack.

Edited by ironcub14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

Anyone know what the situation with Telfer is?

He was listed as being available in the expansion draft earlier this week, so he must still be under contract with TFC at least until January. But no, I haven't heard anything other than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Open Trials was the one thing that I could talk about during the year if I wanted to talk about CPL to my buddies without being pushy about coming to watch a game.

It's obviously a huge thing for many GTA soccer fans out there to actually come watch a Y9 game if they arent in the CanSoc mindset and if they go watch maybe 1-2 TFC games a year. But for the guys who play soccer relatively seriously and are in their 20s, it definitely piques their interest when you tell them about these open tryouts that they have for a professional soccer team here in the GTA. An easy share on the team group chat for sure, great for Y9 to do this again this offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Syracuse is done in NCAA soccer.  Vaughn player Massimo Ferrin had a very good season, playing cam and forward.  6 goals and 9 assists for the senior.  Probably not good enough to get drafted in MLS but a no brainer for Y9 to bring into camp eh??  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2019 at 7:38 AM, ironcub14 said:

The Open Trials was the one thing that I could talk about during the year if I wanted to talk about CPL to my buddies without being pushy about coming to watch a game.

It's obviously a huge thing for many GTA soccer fans out there to actually come watch a Y9 game if they arent in the CanSoc mindset and if they go watch maybe 1-2 TFC games a year. But for the guys who play soccer relatively seriously and are in their 20s, it definitely piques their interest when you tell them about these open tryouts that they have for a professional soccer team here in the GTA. An easy share on the team group chat for sure, great for Y9 to do this again this offseason.

I know what you are saying and while I was certainly in favour of the inaugural season try outs, I think that needs to be the end of it because going forward it looks very amateurish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lofty said:

I know what you are saying and while I was certainly in favour of the inaugural season try outs, I think that needs to be the end of it because going forward it looks very amateurish.

It shouldn't be framed as an " open try out".  But there should still be a way for the teams to scout these players at little cost - think of how many guys came out of trials and it was actually impressive.  Some of these Asian players would never have been discovered and we still need to find a way to uncover hidden gems.  

How about a way for players to submit a resume and earn a spot at a sort of trial camp/combine?  This way you don't get all these unrealistic people but you still get some guys who may have professional experience like Son.  I'd expect that we could get even more of these players since the league showed well in year one.

Edited by CanadaFan123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It shouldn't be framed as an " open try out".  But there should still be a way for the teams to scout these players at little cost - think of how many guys came out of trials and it was actually impressive.  Some of these Asian players would never have been discovered and we still need to find a way to uncover hidden gems.  

How about a way for players to submit a resume and earn a spot at a sort of trial camp/combine?  This way you don't get all these unrealistic people but you still get some guys who may have professional experience like Son.  I'd expect that we could get even more of these players since the league showed well in year one.

For sure, I think that's why the one Y9 is doing this offseason is specifically a U21 camp, instead of open tryouts. And I'm sure players around the world and their agents are constantly submitting their resumes/highlights/references with the various coaching staffs to try to get preseason trial spots and etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, badname22 said:

He averaged a goal every 203 minutes across Spring and Fall. for reference Gattas had 217

Yeah he improved as the season went on. I like him as a backup. His hold up play was brutal when i watched. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Adjei's hold-up play was the best in the team all season, all things considered. Whether people felt it was relatively good or bad depends on how one feels about the club overall within the scheme of things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...