MM3/MM2/MM

York9 - Season Thread 2020

33 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

They need to sign some u21 defenders. There's got to be some in league one....

I wonder if they could get a young CB on loan from TFC like Julian Dunn or Romeo. 

I would start

Hamilton-vasconcelos-petrasso

Murofushi-manella-aparicio

Abzi-thompson-gasparotto-doner

Ingham 

Good depth up front with Adjei, kara maybe mo? 

Lots of depth in midfield with di Chiara, Estevez, Johnson and Porter who can play the, rw and RM. 

A guy like Dunn or Romeo would be awesome but they need some cover at left back. 

That looks like a seriously good squad. I’m really looking forward to this season! I’m especially excited about the possibility of a date with TFC in the VC. 

13 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

They need to sign some u21 defenders. There's got to be some in league one....

I wonder if they could get a young CB on loan from TFC like Julian Dunn or Romeo. 

I would start

Hamilton-vasconcelos-petrasso

Murofushi-manella-aparicio

Abzi-thompson-gasparotto-doner

Ingham 

Good depth up front with Adjei, kara maybe mo? 

Lots of depth in midfield with di Chiara, Estevez, Johnson and Porter who can play the, rw and RM. 

A guy like Dunn or Romeo would be awesome but they need some cover at left back. 

Really good call on the need for cover at LB, that's in almost every footy roster the most underrated and overlooked position by far, because there are so few leftys, especially those who can defend properly and still overlap when needed. Imagine Abzi going down for any number of games. 

Gogarty was very solid defensively, and I hope Gogarty is being considered again for re-signing, though if he left to look for a starting spot somewhere else, respect to him. Every roster needs at least 2 LBs, and another lefty who can play LB adequately for sure. 

We're starting to look solid for this season. I don't want to get too ahead of myself but we're definitely taking steps in the right direction. 

Any word on Babouli , I’m hearing  he is taking part in the informal York 9 practices being held. I was told only reason he was not in the CPL last year was because of not be able to get his international release from the Syrian team he played for the year before.  However, with my experience with these international releases that after awhile if your last team is still not releasing you , the player is automatically reinstated to play after an amount of time has passed without having to get the international release. So I would imagine Babouli should be ok to sign with a CPL team soon. I think a player like this would be a very good pickup for any CPL team  especially York9, get him and I’m starting to believe this York 9 team might be for real this season .

Edited by SoccMan

8 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Any word on Babouli , I’m hearing  he is taking part in the informal York 9 practices being held. I was told only reason he was not in the CPL last year was because of not be able to get his international release from the Syrian team he played for the year before.  However, with my experience with these international releases that after awhile if your last team is still not releasing you , the player is automatically reinstated to play after an amount of time has passed without having to get the international release. So I would imagine Babouli should be ok to sign with a CPL team soon. I think a player like this would be a very good pickup for any CPL team  especially York9, get him and I’m starting to believe this York 9 team might be for real this season .

I think I read he's clear to sign with whoever this year. Does York even need him? Petrasso, Hamilton, Adjei, Porter and Raffy V up front with the guy they drafted who they might need to play to fulfill the u21 minutes. 

13 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I think I read he's clear to sign with whoever this year. Does York even need him? Petrasso, Hamilton, Adjei, Porter and Raffy V up front with the guy they drafted who they might need to play to fulfill the u21 minutes. 

Of course they need him , if he plays like he usually has, if York 9 don’t take him Forge will most likely  take him I’m sure.

Edited by SoccMan

I'm kind of with @Mikmacdo on this one (although I don't know who Raffy V is, is that Gabriel Vasconcelos' nickname?).  Based on what we've seen in the past from Bobouli he would be an asset to the squad but with the forwards currently signed and the needs of the squad still outstanding I don't know how he fits in.

The roster currently has 15 players signed.  Of those only four are defenders (two CB, a LB and a RB) though I guess Porter has been deployed as a fullback at other points in his career and could cover there if needed.   

0 of the 3 required U21 spots have been officially filled.  If both Karajovanovic and Johnston are signed that would go towards filling that requirement but both would be in the mix for spot up top I think.  Karajovanovic at striker and Johnston, is listed as a RM, out wide (though as I'm righting this maybe Johnston could also cover at RB if needed). 

Management know what they need and what they have currently.  If Bobouli can fit in the roster they will get him but I don't think theywill sign him just to keep from playing against him and leave themselves short elsewhere.  

3 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

I'm kind of with @Mikmacdo on this one (although I don't know who Raffy V is, is that Gabriel Vasconcelos' nickname?).  Based on what we've seen in the past from Bobouli he would be an asset to the squad but with the forwards currently signed and the needs of the squad still outstanding I don't know how he fits in.

The roster currently has 15 players signed.  Of those only four are defenders (two CB, a LB and a RB) though I guess Porter has been deployed as a fullback at other points in his career and could cover there if needed.   

0 of the 3 required U21 spots have been officially filled.  If both Karajovanovic and Johnston are signed that would go towards filling that requirement but both would be in the mix for spot up top I think.  Karajovanovic at striker and Johnston, is listed as a RM, out wide (though as I'm righting this maybe Johnston could also cover at RB if needed). 

Management know what they need and what they have currently.  If Bobouli can fit in the roster they will get him but I don't think theywill sign him just to keep from playing against him and leave themselves short elsewhere.  

Gabby v lol not Raffy my bad. 

I still feel that Babouli would fit in with Forge’s playing style and culture a bit better than he would at York9.

That being said, having Petrasso and Babouli manning opposite wings is an exciting thought.

3 hours ago, RS said:

I still feel that Babouli would fit in with Forge’s playing style and culture a bit better than he would at York9.

That being said, having Petrasso and Babouli manning opposite wings is an exciting thought.

I think Hamilton from Jamaica will likely start on the wing. But competition is nice, Porter could also start on a wing. Lots of depth and options up front for y9. 

15 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

I think Hamilton from Jamaica will likely start on the wing. But competition is nice, Porter could also start on a wing. Lots of depth and options up front for y9. 

Porter was god awful on the wing every single match he played wing for us all season. I honestly wonder why I keep seeing mock lineups with Porter on either of the wings. Rewatch any game where he was on the wing on OneSoccer, it was that noticeable. He wasn't that great in mid either, I'd start Murofushi over Porter any day. 

Funny thing is, few people seem to remember that Porter was actually quite good at RB at the beginning of the season. He was a man of the match candidate when he played there in our very first game of club history at Hamilton. Good overlaps, good defending. Got injured, then Furlano was tried there a few times, before Doner made his spot. 

Edited by ironcub14

45 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Porter was god awful on the wing every single match he played wing for us all season. I honestly wonder why I keep seeing mock lineups with Porter on either of the wings. Rewatch any game where he was on the wing on OneSoccer, it was that noticeable. He wasn't that great in mid either, I'd start Murofushi over Porter any day. 

People are probably remembering back to when he played wing for DC United

Awful is harsh.  Porter was rarely spectacular but he was the reliable for a decent performance game in and game out.  

Doner and Abzi have deserved the #1 fullback positions and I don't think that Porter is a central play maker or central midfielder to displace any of our midfielders.  

There is room for improvement at that spot but right now there are only 4 forwards under contract.  Porter, Vasconcelos, Petrasso and Adjei.  Karajovanovic hasn't signed yet and Hamilton/Babouli are rumors right now.  If those three all sign and perform as expected Porter could find himself in a utility role this season.  

9 minutes ago, Stouffvillain said:

Awful is harsh.  Porter was rarely spectacular but he was the reliable for a decent performance game in and game out.  

Doner and Abzi have deserved the #1 fullback positions and I don't think that Porter is a central play maker or central midfielder to displace any of our midfielders.  

There is room for improvement at that spot but right now there are only 4 forwards under contract.  Porter, Vasconcelos, Petrasso and Adjei.  Karajovanovic hasn't signed yet and Hamilton/Babouli are rumors right now.  If those three all sign and perform as expected Porter could find himself in a utility role this season.  

Yep agreed, it's harsh language, but it had to be said, I'm just surprised by how nearly every Y9 fan seems to have Porter has an automatic starter for the coming season, and even more so when people have him at wing. 

Last year, Porter was for the most part an undisputed starter for us in one of the CM positions for the majority of the year. I think his strengths was in his defensive contributions from there, and I think he was able to pop up in the penalty box time to time to meet crosses. However, I will always argue that he likely hasn't merited a role as an undisputed starter, and that he definitely shouldn't be considered a winger. 

Edited by ironcub14

I didn't have Porter starting, I think he can be the James Milner of y9 and play a few positions when needed. Halifax is announcing Marshall from Jamaica tomorrow so expect an announcement about Hamilton soon. They both played there farewell games on Sunday. 

10 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

I didn't have Porter starting, I think he can be the James Milner of y9 and play a few positions when needed. Halifax is announcing Marshall from Jamaica tomorrow so expect an announcement about Hamilton soon. They both played there farewell games on Sunday. 

Got you, sorry about that, I was thinking of other people instead I saw outside of this forum. 

27 minutes ago, ironcub14 said:

Yep agreed, it's harsh language, but it had to be said, I'm just surprised by how nearly every Y9 fan seems to have Porter has an automatic starter for the coming season, and even more so when people have him at wing. 

Last year, Porter was for the most part an undisputed starter for us in one of the CM positions for the majority of the year. I think his strengths was in his defensive contributions from there, and I think he was able to pop up in the penalty box time to time to meet crosses. However, I will always argue that he likely hasn't merited a role as an undisputed starter, and that he definitely shouldn't be considered a winger. 

Fair enough.  You've watched enough Y9 to have an informed opinion.  

I wouldn't have Porter in one of the 3 midfield positions over any of the guys we have.  We can agree that Porter isn't a CF.  So eliminating the midfield and CF that leaves the fullback positions, which Abzi and Doner have deservedly claimed as #1, and the wide forward positions.  Abzi loves to get forward more so than Doner which is why I put Porter up on the left, to balance the threat on the left and the right (with Petrasso).  

It all becomes a moot point if Hamilton, Babouli and Karajovanovic are signed.  I think that puts Porter into a utility role, given his abilities and experience, is a role he can excel in.

Ryan Telfer has signed with a club in Cyprus. Was likely looking to keep his wage somewhere in the area of what it was with TFC. With an average wage of  59,552 Euros , it looks like he did. 

18 minutes ago, Cblake said:

Ryan Telfer has signed with a club in Cyprus. Was likely looking to keep his wage somewhere in the area of what it was with TFC. With an average wage of  59,552 Euros , it looks like he did. 

He will probably make more money and gets to live in Cyprus. I think I read athletes dont pay as much taxes in europe? that makes a big difference. 

I thought it would be a long shot for him to go anywhere other than Y9 in the CPL.  It was obvious that Y9 wanted him back and going elsewhere wouldn't have given him any better opportunity than he had last year with us.  

Vasconcelos, Petrasso, Hamilton, Babouli all signed/rumored signalled that Telfer wasn't coming back to Y9.

The move makes sense for him, especially if he is able to work on getting a European work visa that will help him get into other European leagues. 

Adjei has been released. Babouli must be signing soon. 

Wasn't a big fan of Adjei and it opens up an international spot. 

Hamilton, petrasso, mo, Raffy V up front with Porter able to fill in is still good. 

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

Adjei has been released. Babouli must be signing soon. 

Wasn't a big fan of Adjei and it opens up an international spot. 

Hamilton, petrasso, mo, Raffy V up front with Porter able to fill in is still good. 

Well let’s hope this is the case for releasing Adjei. Babouli is such an upgrade from Adjei if Babouli can play the way I think he can play .