Sign in to follow this  
ted

Pacific FC - 2020 Season Thread

8 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

I don't feel like Pacific is nearly as upgraded as a lot of people think they are. Having De Jong for a full season will definitely help. I think an important piece would be resigning Fisk, but even then I still think they are behind York

Yes! This right here. I am stoked at the signings so far this off season, but I am afraid that the team will have a big drop off in talent when we look at the bench, and have no depth like last year which is problematic. They need 2-3 more experienced players before I feel good about the 18. 

12 hours ago, toontownman said:

Definitely on Fisk. Not so much on Issey or Haber! 

TMG, Dixon, Bustos are all upgrades and a fit DeJong will be huge. I am not sure Hernandez, Gonzalez and Norman Jnr were huge losses. Neither were the others they released. Still expect a fair amount of movement of players in though. They need at least another CM, Striker and another Defender or two. 

The Wheeldon Jnr. vs Kah fashion off Derby will be a highlight. 

Is TMG better than Staro? I am not sure. He is definitely more likely to be healthy

Is Dixon better than Gonzalez? I doubt it

Is Bustos better than Fisk? Probably but they are quite different players. If Bustos can operate centrally and they resign Fisk for the wing, that will be huge

Is De Jong better than Smith? Normally I would say yes, but I thought Smith played well last year and De Jong is a year older after only having played a handful of minutes following a major injury

Is Wirth good enough to be the starter? Sure. For a top team? Not so sure

8 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Is TMG better than Staro? I am not sure. He is definitely more likely to be healthy

Is Bustos better than Fisk? Probably but they are quite different players. If Bustos can operate centrally and they resign Fisk for the wing, that will be huge

Is De Jong better than Smith? Normally I would say yes, but I thought Smith played well last year and De Jong is a year older after only having played a handful of minutes following a major injury

Agreed. The problem is that we have lost our better keeper, and have kept one who actually cost us games and points last season with glaring errors, sorry to say. For me Village was better.

Then we proved we could score, did so easily, but had a real problem not letting in dumb goals. So we dug ourselves into holes we could not get out of, got behind in games and had more pressure on us, and lost a lot of points this way.

Another factor, clearly, was an inexperienced squad, unable to manage games because we were simply too young. So rivals could just pressure and we'd pop at this or that seam. We lacked experience in getting results, however talented the young bunch was.

The team needs to build from the back. Keeper (someone better than Wirth), and central defenders and a DM who are tough as knocks and solid. We probably need to play the youth a bit less, and let them be accompanied by more experience, so they can learn more effectively, not just be thrown into the feeding fest as a clever experiment. Some of those young guys will come back much wiser, I think. 

In any case, I do not see how adding Bustos, a head down sort of attacker who has trouble connecting with his teammates going forwards, and with no strong defensive committment, is going to help us. De Jong healthy will, and Haber, no doubt. But other key pieces are still missing IMO.

10 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Yep. Time will tell. Dixon could pop up in a few places I know in central mid, and down the right side at RB or RM. He will be a great asset and the most underrated of the signings imo. 

GK is a concern I had forgotten about village leaving.

I appreciate the cantera approach this far, but it's clearly not a policy per se and with all our 2020 signings to date we've moved away from BC; so where are the international signings? You'd think Pa, Friend and Simpson would have the best network in the CPL. Hey, I'd be happy with a raid of the US college ranks for any diamonds in the rough not yet on MLS radar. The forward positions could still use some work.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

What is the deal with Fisk, I have not been following? Is he not going to resign? He was an important piece in the group I thought.

Resign or re-sign?😀

What does a 24 year-old striker with 1 Liga MX goal in 46 appearances typically expect to make? I understand the average salary is estimated to be around $300k, but I wouldn't think he'd be that close to average.

That said, I'd agree that there's not much point in coming here for $40k. Although who knows, maybe he met someone local. 

He's a 1 x Liga Mx winner and 2 x Champions League winner, and he's only 24. If he works out there will be Liga MX teams after him again at some point. I hope it's a transfer and not a loan

Looks like one of the biggest signings to date on the surface, but the goals are missing from his resume. Still, you cannot argue with all those Liga MX games, Mexican youth NT caps, and of course he comes at a good age. Very surprised he chose the CPL, but could be a very significant signing for the league and of course Pacific FC.

Like the rest of you, I am very curious what his salary would be. I am thinking it must be in the 70k range at least.

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Looks like one of the biggest signings to date on the surface, but the goals are missing from his resume. Still, you cannot argue with all those Liga MX games, Mexican youth NT caps, and of course he comes at a good age. Very surprised he chose the CPL, but could be a very significant signing for the league and of course Pacific FC.

Like the rest of you, I am very curious what his salary would be. I am thinking it must be in the 70k range at least.

Agreed. And with that kind of price tag, we probably won't see Haber returning. Pretty sure this signing finalizes that release.

Who cares how much he makes, he's signed up and Pacific are expecting goals out of him despite what his track record is like.  It's a statement of intent from Pacific and an exciting signing for the league.    

Puts pressure on Terran Campbell to build on his performance from last year, iron sharpens iron though. 

2 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

Who cares how much he makes, he's signed up and Pacific are expecting goals out of him despite what his track record is like.  It's a statement of intent from Pacific and an exciting signing for the league.    

Puts pressure on Terran Campbell to build on his performance from last year, iron sharpens iron though. 

How could we not care how much he makes? We saw first hand last season what inflated wages for individual players can do to a team with a restricted budget like ours. It cost us a lot of points last season, along with injuries to those expensive players. 

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

Looks like one of the biggest signings to date on the surface, but the goals are missing from his resume. 

Luis Perea is the biggest international signing to date.

21 hours ago, Ansem said:

I honestly think that if the Whitecaps had signed this guy no one would have blinked an eye, and the reactions of cautious optimism would now be pretty much the same. 

Suggesting that on paper it does seem like a good pick-up. Only that IMO we need to spend on goal and CBs.