Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ted

Pacific FC - 2020 Season Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

I think that was his main gripe. Consistency. 

Yup, he literally said he would be fine if the same play drew the same call in other games. Kinda a cliche all right but we lost two different games this season (out of only 8 played total) due to bad calls so it's hard not to feel aggrieved. 

Is it time for the dreaded VAR conversation again?

Oh, wait, no thanks. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall the officiating still has a ways to go as there were some really odd (non) calls this tournament. 

As far as the Pacific PKs go I think they're more about bad defending than bad refs. Of the 5 I recall, 3 were bad decisions for going into tackles (Haynes, Samake, Chung), 1 was a sloppy first touch (Wirth) and it's only the MacNaughton one that's hard to be critical of as the forward slips in at the last second to get to the ball first.

The good news is that most young defenders only need to make those mistakes once or twice before it's out of their system.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

Kah isn't one of the three nominees for coach of the year.  Regardless, he should be pleased with his first year in charge.

Yeah that is ********. Complete lip service from the league to Atletico. Should have been Kah. Not sure why Mista would be nominated. Arguably Gale did better with almost an entirely new team lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't surprise me, European coach gets votes just because he comes from Europe. Especially from the Spanish system. Going through the Canadian system and grinding away here will not get the credit that a person deserves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, fil said:

Doesn't surprise me, European coach gets votes just because he comes from Europe. Especially from the Spanish system. Going through the Canadian system and grinding away here will not get the credit that a person deserves. 

Because Kah is a product of the Canadian system, a Vancouver Island boy.

If you are going to make an argument, make it right, screwing it up ruins the point for the rest of us ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2020 at 7:37 PM, BearcatSA said:

Kah isn't one of the three nominees for coach of the year.  Regardless, he should be pleased with his first year in charge.

I think his outburst after losing to Forge had something to do with it, otherwise he would be in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trois Reds said:

I think his outburst after losing to Forge had something to do with it, otherwise he would be in there.

His team responded with a 5-0 win in the next match, and for the first time in what seemed like ages the refs didn't award a penalty against us. So I'd actually call that good coaching. I could understand a fine for those comments, but I don't think it should reflect negatively on his coaching ability. A big part of a managers job these days is to make use the media

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He would be in there for me as well but I won't begrudge Mista the nomination.  If you are going to have 3 candidates Hart & Smyniotis are the locks so if it's not Kah.... it's Mista.  Ottawa surprised me. 

It was quite rightly brought up on One Soccer how Smyrniotis doesn't seem to get a lot of acknowledgment.  Maybe because in some part he'd brought some of his pre-CanPL work into CPL?  Don't know, but Forge has shown itself to be, to my mind, the best club in this league for a number of reasons and that has to come down to Bobby S. 

See that Paulus is out in Edmonton, not that he was up for the nomination, just saying.  Don't see Gale or Brennan going anywhere until after the results of the 2021 campaign either.  Again, just saying.    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Aird25 said:

His team responded with a 5-0 win in the next match, and for the first time in what seemed like ages the refs didn't award a penalty against us. So I'd actually call that good coaching. I could understand a fine for those comments, but I don't think it should reflect negatively on his coaching ability. A big part of a managers job these days is to make use the media

I don't disagree with you about him being a good coach, but Kah basically said that if the CPL wants to be looked at as a Tier 1 league, they need Tier 1 referees. I watched it. I wanted to rewind it to hear it again, but OneSoccer.

Making use of the media is one thing, but you have to use it wisely. Employee of the year awards aren't given to the guy who publicly trashes the whole accounting department during the shareholder's meetings. 

I'm pretty certain Kah would have been easily nominated this year otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Trois Reds said:

I don't disagree with you about him being a good coach, but Kah basically said that if the CPL wants to be looked at as a Tier 1 league, they need Tier 1 referees. I watched it. I wanted to rewind it to hear it again, but OneSoccer.

Making use of the media is one thing, but you have to use it wisely. Employee of the year awards aren't given to the guy who publicly trashes the whole accounting department during the shareholder's meetings. 

I'm pretty certain Kah would have been easily nominated this year otherwise.

The league won more by him saying it than he would have being nominated for the award.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless there are demonstrably better referees in Canada than those currently being appointed to CanPL matches, the point is moot. It's a brand new league in a country which has lacked sufficient professional football for nearly 30 years. Just as we need the players to use CanPL to develop into international calibre, we also need the league as a breeding ground for elite-level coaches, physios, analysts, and yes, also match officials. We're just building the pool at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

What does everybody think of CPL's Best XI?  Looks strong including the "Substitutes".  Any misses? Anybody headed to higher leagues? I wonder if the Whitecaps will revisit Sissoko or Chung. How about Zator in Vancouver? Would he be up to the challenge?

https://canpl.ca/article/canpl-cas-best-xi-of-the-island-games-wanders-and-forge-lead-the-way

Cheers!

I’m not sure how Elliot Simmons makes it ahead of Baldi, but I also struggle to make it through 90 minutes of Tommy Wheeldon football. I don’t recall Simmons impressing me at any point though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Unless there are demonstrably better referees in Canada than those currently being appointed to CanPL matches, the point is moot.

It’s a storyline. A season can have more than one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Unless there are demonstrably better referees in Canada than those currently being appointed to CanPL matches, the point is moot. It's a brand new league in a country which has lacked sufficient professional football for nearly 30 years. Just as we need the players to use CanPL to develop into international calibre, we also need the league as a breeding ground for elite-level coaches, physios, analysts, and yes, also match officials. We're just building the pool at this point.

They also needed to find referees willing to join the bubble for over 6 weeks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Unless there are demonstrably better referees in Canada than those currently being appointed to CanPL matches, the point is moot. It's a brand new league in a country which has lacked sufficient professional football for nearly 30 years. Just as we need the players to use CanPL to develop into international calibre, we also need the league as a breeding ground for elite-level coaches, physios, analysts, and yes, also match officials. We're just building the pool at this point.

I totally agree. We have better referees than I ever could have imagined. I am also proud we included female refs, they were objectively as good as the men, there was no gender gap at all, only differences in style.

I think that Chenard had some health problems that impeded her going to the WC last summer, I liked her last season in CPL. 

All this does not stop me from thinking that Pacific was the worst treated team in in PEI by far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has there been any roster news (anyone back for next season, anyone new coming in, anyone leaving the club, loans or otherwise)? It seems like another quiet offseason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...