USL to CPL Canadians for 2020?

4 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

That is probably true but I don’t think that should be the expectation. The cream of the crop after 5 years of play was picked up. While I do think L1O is a strong league there is no way all that talent was replenished in one year.  This year will be a better indication of how many L1O players can make the jump on a yearly basis. 

I would even go as far as saying next year might be more typical. I am sure there are probably a few players that went to L1O this year after seeing how it worked as a pipeline for CPL. Maksym Kowal comes to mind

• 2 weeks later...

Well, with today's sad news in Ottawa, a large number of Canadian players have suddenly become free agents. Off the top of my head:

GK

• Callum Irving
  • David Monsalve

Defenders

• Nana Attakora
  • Carl Haworth (flexible position-wise)
  • Maxim Tissot (probably flexible position-wise)

Mids

• Chris Manella
  • Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé
  • Antoine Coupland (15 or 16 years old)
  • Jamar Dixon

Most of these guys would be an automatic upgrade at their respective positions for many CPL teams. Wonder how many will end up signing on.

31 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

All I want is Coupland to land somewhere. 

Never understood Coupland on the Fury. He hardly got any playing time. I too hope he lands somewhere but it would be better in a lower league where he can be on the first team and get big minutes.

41 minutes ago, RS said:

Honestly, Carl Haworth would be Best XI caliber in the CPL. A bunch of these guys are about to be able to pick and choose from several CPL teams, should they so choose. 

Thats it isnt it? Some of those guys are good enough that top tier USL clubs might come knocking, and with MLS ever expanding you never know who might try for that.  

1 hour ago, Sébastien said:

Well, with today's sad news in Ottawa, a large number of Canadian players have suddenly become free agents. Off the top of my head:

GK

• Callum Irving
  • David Monsalve

Defenders

• Nana Attakora
  • Carl Haworth (flexible position-wise)
  • Maxim Tissot (probably flexible position-wise)

Mids

• Chris Manella
  • Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé
  • Antoine Coupland (15 or 16 years old)
  • Jamar Dixon

Said it yesterday in the Valour thread.  If I was Gale I would've had Irving/Monsalve, Nana and Dixon on speed dial this morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess maybe its still too early and it seems players were as shocked as everyone else with what happened. I expect most players are still on holiday post season and will figure things out over the next month or so. There are surely some players that will be looking at Europe or other teams utilizing the January window so we should be hearing something soon. 

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Guess maybe its still too early and it seems players were as shocked as everyone else with what happened. I expect most players are still on holiday post season and will figure things out over the next month or so. There are surely some players that will be looking at Europe or other teams utilizing the January window so we should be hearing something soon. 

Yeah, as much as we might wish it wasn’t the case, CPL will be a fallback option for some of these guys who are hoping to use their Fury time as a springboard.  

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Not him

I’m personally very happy for Carl.  He’s probably on a decent salary at Indy Eleven - the owner there works really hard to make soccer work in a mid sized market.   

(Full disclosure: I continue to follow the team having loved my time living and working in Indianapolis.)