USL to CPL Canadians for 2020?

I was wondering about the Canadians playing in the USL and which of them would or should or could be good candidates to play in the CPL next season. Your comments or hopes? (source: USL website)

Karl Ouimette, Indy 11

Tyler Pasher, Indy 11                        Mathieu Laurent, Birmingham

Brian Wright, Birmingham               Jordan Schweitzer, Colorado Springs

Drew Beckie, El Paso                        Zachary Ellis-Hayden, Fresno

Luca Ucello, Memphis                      Darrin MacLeod, North Carolina

Alex Comsia, North Carolina           Alessandro Riggi, Phoenix

Ryan James, Pittsburgh                   Keven Aleman, Sacramento

Paris Gee, St Louis                            Mastanabal Kacher, St. Louis

Jonathan Viscosi, San Antonio        Malik Johnson, Tampa Bay

Andrew MacRae, Tulsa                     Nicholas Prasad, Tulsa

Mallan Roberts, Tulsa                      Callum Montomery, North Texas (L1)

James Dell, Chattanooga (L1)        Brandon John, Orlando B (L1)

Montomgery is a dallas product, under contract etc so he wont be coming, same with Wright unless he gets releaased by Revs.  Thats a good list you have there.  Some of the better guys are hoping to catch MLS attention (Pasher, Comsia) and some play at the bigger more ambitious clubs that probably pay better than CPL does.  Its tough to say, I thought Thomas and Murell (2 USL vets) would be good but they had all sorts of problems.  

Mcrae was a decent keeper at Fury and is from Nova Scotia, thats a no brainer if Halifax want more local boys.  

Edited by Bison44

CPL got Marco Bustos back, we could potentially land any of these players.

Some will be making a bit more money south, but if a club wants a homegrown veteran, I suspect they will pay more.

First season CPL was a success and I suspect all of these players will be having a good look at CPL.  Particularly if expansion clubs are being announced for 2021.  

Unfortunately no one knows exactly what the USL pays or CPL pays.  SO its hard toa grue one way or the other.  But I agree with Baulderdash, you'll see a half dozen jump.  But we didnt have problems finding CDN players for this first season.  If there are guys who are happy in USL, are looking at MLS and are getting good money, good for them we arent desperate for them to come home.   But, some of those guys are decent players and are hard pressed for minutes in USL, maybe a little home cooking would improve things.  

CPL/USL, either way if they are getting minutes it's a win win. Hope we snare a few of the better ones back home though.

Didnt realise we had that many players in the USL. Obviously that's discounting the fury players too. Might well have a swath of college graduates too. 

I was worried about expansion teams and the player pool meeting demand without watering down the quality of the league. Considering there are reportedly another 10-15 in europe interested in returning I'd be hopeful even with another two or three teams we could keep the standard high and keep pushing on.

As the CPL is over save for the last championship game next weekend, fans have had a chance to evaluate their club's roster and players in the league generally. Given this list of players (USL Canadians) and the needs of each club, what would you change if your were the gaffer? 

In addition, there are some players in MLS who are on or approaching the fringe of the roster. Jordan Hamilton, Brett Levis (released by VWFC), and Jay Chapman, for eaxmple, come to mind. Both would be really good in CPL. Are there other "MLS level" players who might thrive in CPL while upping the standard of play and giving a better name to Canadian footballers?

Comments?

I forgot to ask: What about Canadians in Europe? Dario Zanatta comes to mind, for example, as does Daniel Stanese who left his stint in Germany recently.  Do you folks have any ideas about other Canadians in Europe who might do well in CPL and who might actually have interest in playing there?

17 hours ago, Cblake said:

Reports like this always are not always tell the entire story, but this article on the Hartford Athletic and their salaries.

https://www.soctakes.com/2019/10/24/hartford-athletic-problems/?fbclid=IwAR13kXZJxqcHc2DdDHdM1_Jcmm0-ZDH8_a6mHWtbnPF2nWPbtqnPRFFY2KI

Postseason friendlies: The club organized friendlies during the postseason, an unusual practice as players risk injury in meaningless games. The club gave players an option — via an email seen by Soc Takes — to forego the friendlies (termed as “club-directed activities”) in exchange for losing their last month of pay. Players communicating with Soc Takes shared that they feared injury in meaningless games that could impact new contracts for the 2020 season. The team plays a friendly against Portmore United this week.

Low salaries: Sources suggest that the highest annual salary for a player at Hartford Athletic is $44,000 and many players are making below $20,000. There is at least one player making $500 per month. Soc Takes confirmed that a player was signed on a $0 “incentivized contract,” on which he played for two months. After those two months, he was awarded a professional contract. A source with knowledge of contracts informed Soc Takes that the average salary for players at Hartford for the 2019 season was $17,000-$22,000.

Prevention of additional income. Unlike other players around the league who have side hustles such as coaching or other jobs to make additional income, the club forbids its players from having any part-time jobs, despite their low salaries. Soc Takes was provided documentation that confirmed Mandell prohibited player requests to avail themselves of coaching opportunities in order to make extra money.

Bad look for USL. Most USL C teams are in the 500K (usd) range for player salaries apparently according to previous articles by Nipun and other lower division bloggers/writers.

2 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Bad look for USL. Most USL C teams are in the 500K (usd) range for player salaries apparently according to previous articles by Nipun and other lower division bloggers/writers.

And they dont have healthcare according to past articles.

The disparity of salaries within that league has been reported many times too.

People exaggerating USL-C scope is always an entertaining read. Teams aspiring to move to MLS will spend cash and stand out from the rest...As for the rest...it's nothing to brag about.

I expect Canadians stayed there "as a wait and see" move but after what they've seen, we'll see more of them coming home... upsides are better in my opinion

I don’t know about a lot of these guys but I don’t think that CPL clubs need to raid USL clubs of all Canadians just because we have a league now. Players will come if the situation will benefit them. If CPL can offer them more playing time to showcase themselves they will come. 

CPL shouldn’t over-extend to bring them in unless are certain they need that player. There were a lot of really good players that came out of no where this year, USL players aren’t guarantees. 

10 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

I don’t know about a lot of these guys but I don’t think that CPL clubs need to raid USL clubs of all Canadians just because we have a league now. Players will come if the situation will benefit them. If CPL can offer them more playing time to showcase themselves they will come. 

CPL shouldn’t over-extend to bring them in unless are certain they need that player. There were a lot of really good players that came out of no where this year, USL players aren’t guarantees. 

It was actually pretty surprising that a lot of ex-USL players weren't standouts this year

1 minute ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Yes, I think if you compare the top former L10 players with the top former USL players there might be an advantage to L1O. 

Pretty mind boggling that TFC could have used L1O all to themselves as a scouting network and didn't make full use of it. And when they did use it you'd end up seeing guys like Babouli and Edwards

13 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

That was definitely an insightful article. Maybe I'm just desensitized after following the former Toronto Lynx, but I don't find some of the reported practices all that surprising or awful, minus the lack of health coverage and the ban on side coaching jobs - those are unreasonable.  

Those salaries are not that bad for this level. I think a lot of the complaints have to do with foreigners coming over and likely not realizing that even over in America, their abilities at the pro level are as marginal as they were in Europe - and the clubs willing to take them are similarly marginal.

All of the foreigners on the Hartford sqaad, maybe minus Siem de Wit, are at best semi pro or amateur players before they arrived over here.  How much did they make playing for Brackley Town? Was Middelfart BK set them up with meals and pay? Was the Thai second division quick with the MRIs? Lyngo didn't like that the club gave him the option to honour his contract or end it early? What's his problem?

What did they expect?

Edited by The Real Marc

49 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Yes, I think if you compare the top former L10 players with the top former USL players there might be an advantage to L1O. 

That is probably true but I don’t think that should be the expectation. The cream of the crop after 5 years of play was picked up. While I do think L1O is a strong league there is no way all that talent was replenished in one year.  This year will be a better indication of how many L1O players can make the jump on a yearly basis. 

On 10/26/2019 at 2:08 PM, Ian Kennett said:

I was wondering about the Canadians playing in the USL and which of them would or should or could be good candidates to play in the CPL next season. Your comments or hopes? (source: USL website)

Karl Ouimette, Indy 11

Just to add a few more:  Bradley Kamdem (Saint Louis), Jeff Addai (Tulsa), Frantzly Zephirin (Tulsa)

Nicholas Prasad (Tulsa) has been capped by Fiji.. so technically Guyanese-Canadian Jordan Dover (Pittsburgh) is another guy we could add in there.

Together with Ottawa's Canadians that's a fairly large pool.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:08 PM, Ian Kennett said:

Karl Ouimette, Indy 11

There is also Jems Geffrard (Fresno FC)

Canadian born playing for Haiti

We probably have other players playing in the USL