mtlsab

2019-2020 Transfer Market

10 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

It will be interesting how transfer activity in this window alters or adjusts the long-term planning with respect to the cap, squad size, reserves and academy. I fully support the approach to date, but there is a little bit of truth to "it takes money to make money." MLS are so bad at buying and selling players, it would be great to see the CPL perfect this. Even the development is poor given the amount of money they throw around. My short-term goal would be squads of 25-30 on an average of $100k or so per annum, with an amateur U20/reserve side playing in the top amateur league available.It doesn't take too many $500k transfers to fund this.

MLS knows it too though.  It's why they're in discussions to shift to buying and selling younger DP quality players:

https://theathletic.com/1520302/2020/01/08/sources-mls-considering-changes-to-dp-rule-to-encourage-young-player-signings/

There's more to the possible rule change than just that, but it's certainly a factor.

4 hours ago, narduch said:

What a weird system. It's against teams from the 1st tier

Yes, they changed the format after last season, much to the disapproval of most of the teams. Last season, only the Proximus League finalist and the next two best teams in the aggregate table qualified along with teams ranked 7-15 in the Pro League (9 teams). They would split into two groups of six teams in which the winner of each group qualifying for a single legged final, hosted by the higher ranked team in the regular season. Now it will involve the teams from 7-16 in the Pro League plus the top 6 teams in the aggregate table (including the seasonal winner(s)). They'll go into 4 groups of 4, with the group winners qualifying for the semifinals. I reckon both the semi finals and the finals are two legged. The winner plays afainst the highest ranked team from Playoffs 1 (involving the top 6 teams from the Jupiler Pro League regular season), most likely the fourth or fifth place team for a spot in the Europa League 2nd qualifying round. What a bizarre system indeed. Exciting next month and a half though to see if Leuven will return back to the top flight after several years out, or if someone else will undo their wonderful work from the Apertura. 

Interesting related fact: it is possible to collect the most points from the 28 games and not qualify for the final/get promoted. It has already has happened when Lierse collected the most points in the 2016/17 season, only to finish second in both the Apertura and Clausura (won by Roeselare and Antwerp respectively with the latter winning the promotion final). As things stand we would have that same situation happen again as promoted side Virton and Westerlo currently have the most points from 22 games.

23 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Welshman just left Hapoel Haifa. I could see him back in CPL. 

It would have seemed reasonable, but according to Wikipedia, he's now with the Arab-Israeli team Bnei Sakhnin. They're not even in the Israeli Premier League. There may be more to the story (if true) but he seemed like such a hot commodity when he left Forge last year.

This story from the Hamilton Spectoator by Steve Milton (who has wrote about the league prior to its existence) reported that the transfer fee for Waterman was in the 35,000 - 40,000 range and that Borges will be about 10 times that much. Also believes his salary will be about 250,000/year.

https://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/9816981-forge-sells-top-scorer-and-that-s-a-good-thing/

12 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

This story from the Hamilton Spectoator by Steve Milton (who has wrote about the league prior to its existence) reported that the transfer fee for Waterman was in the 35,000 - 40,000 range and that Borges will be about 10 times that much. Also believes his salary will be about 250,000/year.

https://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/9816981-forge-sells-top-scorer-and-that-s-a-good-thing/

Hmm something about that 250,000/year in the Belgium 2nd division doesn't seem right to me.

10 hours ago, TFC2017 said:

Hmm something about that 250,000/year in the Belgium 2nd division doesn't seem right to me.

Me neither, that is astronomically high for that level.

Also, if they payed the transfer fee they are saying, the salary is out of proportion. 

Help me understand. Do you guys just know off the top of your head the max/min/average salaries of leagues like 2nd division Belgium? Or do you reasearch it after an announcement like this? Or are you just guessing based on very little data and lots of assumptions. I am genuinely curious.

14 hours ago, Kent said:

Help me understand. Do you guys just know off the top of your head the max/min/average salaries of leagues like 2nd division Belgium? Or do you reasearch it after an announcement like this? Or are you just guessing based on very little data and lots of assumptions. I am genuinely curious.

I was curious, so I looked it up.

Source: https://www2.deloitte.com/be/en/pages/technology-media-and-telecommunications/articles/deloitte-pro-league-press-release.html

"The average yearly gross salary in G5 is €323,000, well above the K11 (€187,000) and the Proximus League (€90,000)."

I'm not sure what the G5 and K11 leagues are.

Now, if the average is €90k ($130k CAD), I don't think it's unreasonable that a team targeting promotion would pay considerably more than that.

14 hours ago, Kent said:

I looked up average salary in Jupiter league (200000 euros), which would be 290000 CDN.  That is taking in all the big spending clubs, and you know what kind of drop off there can be from 1st to bottom of the table and then even worse for 2nd division.  250000 seemed more like a number that belonged in the bottom end of the first division, or a really good player in 2nd.  So about 1 part research, 1 part comparison, 2 parts guess.  

I don't know if anyone has the time or energy to put in analysis, but my feel is that the league as a whole is better today than this time last year -despite losing a few bright stars. I guess the the foreign guys are always a crap shoot, but the domestic talent seems improved to me.

Well just for Valour, if attardo stays then we lost our best CDN (petrasso, Bustos LBG) but they stayed in CPL.  If we do bring in Aird, Levis and Pantemis (on loan), I think we have upped the quality of the league a bit.  Y9, Halifax and Pacific have all brought in some good quality CDN, sure Calgary and Hamilton will lose some (booo hoooo...crocadile tears...) but i agree the domestic should be improved.  

2 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I don't know if anyone has the time or energy to put in analysis, but my feel is that the league as a whole is better today than this time last year -despite losing a few bright stars. I guess the the foreign guys are always a crap shoot, but the domestic talent seems improved to me.

We could make a half decent squad of released players from last season. While they are the dregs and cast offs there are now and will be every year a speight of players out their with CPL experience which will be useful for clubs wanting to start up or starting up. Everyone is improving and the experience positive or negative will be passed on. 

On 1/25/2020 at 6:24 PM, Bison44 said:

I looked up average salary in Jupiter league (200000 euros), which would be 290000 CDN.  That is taking in all the big spending clubs, and you know what kind of drop off there can be from 1st to bottom of the table and then even worse for 2nd division.  250000 seemed more like a number that belonged in the bottom end of the first division, or a really good player in 2nd.  So about 1 part research, 1 part comparison, 2 parts guess.  

I based my thoughts on 250k being high on what players in Spain 2nd tier earn. So it seemed high. 

If I'm being honest i'd even be surprised if he was earning half of that. That's 5x what Laryea made this past season, it's equal Marky Delgado who has been playing professionally in the MLS for 7 years. 

I feel he's probably making around 30-50k. Still A big increase on the 12.5k he was earning with Forge.