Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Macksam

Jonathan Osorio Appreciation Thread

Recommended Posts

I have always loved Osorio and never understood the criticism. I’m not sure where the “not flashy” comment comes from above either, I disagree with that. He has fantastic dribbling in tight spaces and always has. The 2 things I have thought he could improve on are defence (which he most certainly has improved by now) and shooting from outside the box. He still isn’t much of a threat from far out but he scored a heck of a good volley for TFC last weekend from outside the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oso has been very strong for two straight years now, maybe a bit longer.  He is a smart player, which I like to see. While Piette will get a  lot of kudos for his performance vs. the US last week, the roles that Oso and Arfield played were massive.  Very disciplined, smart positional play from both of them.  And they made things happen going forward too (an assist each!)  There was a time when I did not see a massive difference in quality between Osorio and Tiebert, but that is certainly no longer the case. (I love Rusty, but Oso offers a lot more.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Kent said:

I have always loved Osorio and never understood the criticism. I’m not sure where the “not flashy” comment comes from above either, I disagree with that. He has fantastic dribbling in tight spaces and always has. The 2 things I have thought he could improve on are defence (which he most certainly has improved by now) and shooting from outside the box. He still isn’t much of a threat from far out but he scored a heck of a good volley for TFC last weekend from outside the box.

Completely agree, when he burst on the scene what made him stand out was his flair and skill on the ball. imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RS said:

Osorio is so good he makes me and Macksam agree on something.

happy robert redford GIF

11 hours ago, toontownman said:

Burst on the scene looked potentially amazing

Went backwards, wasn't given opportunities and looked like he was going to get lost and fade into obscurity.

Got his chance, took it, has become amazing. 

The End.

Yes, I remember when him and Kyle Bekker both came onto the team at the same time, with Bekker getting more hype being the number 1 draft pick and all. No disrespect to Bekker as I am glad he is doing good things with Forge but after watching both guys play that initial year, I knew fully well who was going to struggle and who was going to thrive. Not unlike Cavallini, his time spent in Uruguay gave him that South American guile (you know where you have to literally throw everything and the kitchen sink at him to pry him off the ball) that made him a cut above all the American college boys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Honestly think he's a guy who doesn't have a super high ceiling, but he's got such a good head on his shoulders that he's gone up to his potential and beyond through hard work and taking notes from coaching. He's now a very solid all-around player who shows bursts of creativity and skill. Very humble guy whose commitment level is always 100%.

This is the prime of his career not really a time to be measuring his ceiling.  Davies, David knock yourself out talking about potential.

He consistently performs at a high level whenever called upon and in whatever competition.  I think when he found his scoring boots it gave him all sorts of confidence in himself and it shows every time he's out there.  For my money he's been the best player for TFC post-Giovinco. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

This is the prime of his career not really a time to be measuring his ceiling.  Davies, David knock yourself out talking about potential.

He consistently performs at a high level whenever called upon and in whatever competition.  I think when he found his scoring boots it gave him all sorts of confidence in himself and it shows every time he's out there.  For my money he's been the best player for TFC post-Giovinco. 

Oso has a few things he can add to his repertoire, even at this age. The big one: leadership.  Yeah, it is not a technical skill, but it is vital all the same.  He is becoming one of more reliable, more experienced, savvier players, and he will play an increasingly critical role as a leader on the field and in the dressing room. He's a quieter guy, but so is Hutch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

This is the prime of his career not really a time to be measuring his ceiling.  Davies, David knock yourself out talking about potential.

He consistently performs at a high level whenever called upon and in whatever competition.  I think when he found his scoring boots it gave him all sorts of confidence in himself and it shows every time he's out there.  For my money he's been the best player for TFC post-Giovinco. 

Change the tense to "didn't have". He's definitely worked his way up and matured well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Oso has a few things he can add to his repertoire, even at this age. The big one: leadership.  Yeah, it is not a technical skill, but it is vital all the same.  He is becoming one of more reliable, more experienced, savvier players, and he will play an increasingly critical role as a leader on the field and in the dressing room. He's a quieter guy, but so is Hutch. 

I think with his play over the last few seasons he's definitely got some younger players within the national program and at TFC looking up to him.  The role of mentor to younger players is a position that he's played himself into.  

You're right that Osorio isn't a vocal player but he leads by example.  Any young player can look at his career and see that there are ups and downs but hard work and determination can pay off.  Being more of a silent leader may also present himself more as an older brother to younger players and thus more approachable. 

It'll be interesting to see how he grows in this area of the next few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...